Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Write protected thumb drive  (Read 4861 times)
BANGKOK RED

« on: Saturday, July 3, 2010, 06:21:42 »

I am trying to delete some photo's from a thumb drive but it keeps telling me that it is write protected.

Any ideas?

Ta
stfcinbmth

« Reply #1 on: Saturday, July 3, 2010, 06:47:47 »

http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/
BANGKOK RED

« Reply #2 on: Saturday, July 3, 2010, 06:54:57 »

Tried that already. Didn't work
Barry Scott

« Reply #3 on: Saturday, July 3, 2010, 07:52:09 »

Sometimes, I know because this happened to me, there's a tiny write protection slidey switch thing somewhere on the drive. I reckon it's that. Might not be though. Cheesy
BANGKOK RED

« Reply #4 on: Saturday, July 3, 2010, 07:56:20 »

I've looked for that but couldn't find one.
Barry Scott

« Reply #5 on: Saturday, July 3, 2010, 07:59:35 »

Dunno whether this would work, but have to tried right clicking the drive from within My Computer and checking then unchecking read only?

EDIT: That doesn't look lik it will work, but then i don't use Windows so do have an excuse.

« Last Edit: Saturday, July 3, 2010, 08:08:20 by Barry Scott » Logged
BANGKOK RED

« Reply #6 on: Saturday, July 3, 2010, 08:06:01 »

No such option
Barry Scott

« Reply #7 on: Saturday, July 3, 2010, 08:10:03 »

Just found this possible solution, seems likely to work.

Open up the Start menu if the "Read Only" check box is grayed out and you cannot click on it. Click on "Run," and then type in "CMD" if you are using Windows XP or an earlier operating system. Type "CMD" into the Search box, and double-click the icon that appears if you are using Windows Vista.

Type in the phrase "attrib -r +s" followed by the location of your flash drive, such as "attrib -r +s E:\" if your flash drive is designated as the "E:\" drive on your computer. Press "Enter" to enter the command and remove the Read Only feature from the drive

http://www.ehow.com/how_5138993_open-write-protected-flash-drive.html

Barry Scott

« Reply #8 on: Saturday, July 3, 2010, 08:12:10 »

Registry edit?

Check out the registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\StorageDevicePolicies.
The value 'WriteProtect' should be absent or set to '0'.
Barry Scott

« Reply #9 on: Saturday, July 3, 2010, 08:13:07 »

Sharing change?

So I right clicked my flash drive went to sharing and security--> sharing tab and I added a new share and under permissions I added my username from the network and gave it full control. I clicked ok then everything worked fine. Then I went back to the drive in my computer right clicked it again, went to the sharing and security, then the sharing tab and removed the new share that I just added and things still worked fine. Not sure why but you could give it a try.

EDIT: Most fo those are from here by the way, although i'm sure you've already seen most of them. Wink

http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-6230-0.html?forumID=101&threadID=207273&messageID=3127176&tag=content;leftCol
« Last Edit: Saturday, July 3, 2010, 08:15:20 by Barry Scott » Logged
BANGKOK RED

« Reply #10 on: Saturday, July 3, 2010, 08:33:25 »

Nothing seems to work. It is only a few photo's and so they can just stay.

Cheers anyway big man.
Barry Scott

« Reply #11 on: Saturday, July 3, 2010, 08:35:53 »

None of those worked? That sounds pretty fucking mental. Can you go into the drive and view the files? I presume you just can't delete them? Have you tried write clicking each of the files, going to properties and unchecking read only? (If of course it's even checked!)
BANGKOK RED

« Reply #12 on: Saturday, July 3, 2010, 08:53:53 »

I have full access and can see every file, I just can't delete them.

I think it might be something more to do with the files rather than the drive. I can un-check read only on the folders but then it says "The parameter is incorrect". Or, "Cannot find specified file" when I go to delete it.
BANGKOK RED

« Reply #13 on: Saturday, July 3, 2010, 08:54:47 »

It's as though they are phantom files or something. Never seen this before.
Don Rogers Shop

« Reply #14 on: Saturday, July 3, 2010, 09:05:17 »

HAHA

Old bill will be round in a few hours they will show you how you should of deleted those dodgy photo's.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: