Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: antivirus  (Read 4289 times)
juddie

Ignore
« on: Friday, July 2, 2010, 13:16:52 »

Hi good people,

my Avast is about to run out and wondered if anyone could suggest a decent new one for my lappo?

thanks
stfcinbmth

« Reply #1 on: Friday, July 2, 2010, 13:19:14 »

It's Free. Tho hope your Windoze is genuine

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Friday, July 2, 2010, 13:19:53 »

everyone else will probably say it's shit,but i use microsoft security essentials.seems to work well and is free

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Friday, July 2, 2010, 13:21:07 »

ooops sorry stfcinbmth.beat me to it.
i used to use avg,but got pissed off with their upgrade reminders etc.plus the newer versions seemed more toublesome than previously
« Last Edit: Friday, July 2, 2010, 13:22:49 by arriba » Logged
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Friday, July 2, 2010, 13:23:03 »

AVG

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
stfcinbmth

« Reply #5 on: Friday, July 2, 2010, 13:28:11 »

I use both on different pc's and the Microsoft one is deffo less intrusive
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #6 on: Friday, July 2, 2010, 13:28:53 »

Avast have a free version, stick with that if you like it.
Barry Scott

« Reply #7 on: Friday, July 2, 2010, 13:41:28 »

If you're gonna pay, Kaspersky is one of the best and PC World regularly have it on offer at £20 or there abouts. I know others will show stats and other rubbish proving others are better at detection, and have smaller footprints etc, but I know, from spending time on the wrong irc channels over the years, that Kaspersky is a fucking nightmare to get past. I personally prefer ESET Internet Security as an all in one, but that's because it's got a small footprint and is really unintrusive, which can't really be said about Kaspersky.
juddie

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Friday, July 2, 2010, 14:14:38 »

what do you mean by intrusive?
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Friday, July 2, 2010, 15:20:05 »

If you're gonna pay, Kaspersky is one of the best and PC World regularly have it on offer at £20 or there abouts. I know others will show stats and other rubbish proving others are better at detection, and have smaller footprints etc, but I know, from spending time on the wrong irc channels over the years, that Kaspersky is a fucking nightmare to get past. I personally prefer ESET Internet Security as an all in one, but that's because it's got a small footprint and is really unintrusive, which can't really be said about Kaspersky.

ESET

http://www.epospartners.co.uk/store/product/1247/Nod32-Anti-Virus-Single-User/

http://thetownend.com/index.php/topic,33605.0.html

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Barry Scott

« Reply #10 on: Friday, July 2, 2010, 15:44:39 »

Have you not got the full Internet Security Suite? That's what I've installed a fair few times recently and it covers all bases, how well i don't know, but it does the trick.
stfcinbmth

« Reply #11 on: Friday, July 2, 2010, 18:58:27 »

what do you mean by intrusive?

It don't nag you and it doesn't use much in the way of system resources
Wotwot

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, August 4, 2010, 10:19:50 »

I've tried numerous AVs and personally found Kapersky the least use. It let my machine get hideously infected even though I updated the virus listings daily. Now, although my fingers are burning black as I type it, I use NIS (Norton Internet Security) purely because I've never had a virus, trojan or any other attempt to hack or destroy my PC successfully get through while using it. You get what you pay for as they say...
Barry Scott

« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, August 4, 2010, 10:40:57 »

I've tried numerous AVs and personally found Kapersky the least use. It let my machine get hideously infected even though I updated the virus listings daily. Now, although my fingers are burning black as I type it, I use NIS (Norton Internet Security) purely because I've never had a virus, trojan or any other attempt to hack or destroy my PC successfully get through while using it. You get what you pay for as they say...

In all honesty, you'll never catch me singing the praises of Norton, but then as I don't personally use an AV, I only have to go on what I've experienced with ESET and the knowledge of those in the know. Honestly, I hate Kaspersky's intrusive nature and despite having owned both 2009 and 2010, I went back to ESET Internet Security for ease of use.

I've bugged around with computers for so many years now, that I just want to turn it on and forget about everything else nowadays. Sod making it slightly quicker and slightly better looking, just work. Please. And stop getting in my way. Cheesy
magicroundabout
Fanta Pants

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, August 4, 2010, 10:42:03 »

Norton is the most power hungry AntiV i've ever come accross. it's just useless.
McCrappy is a close second.

i've used both and found Kaspersky Pure by far the best. you hardly know it's there sometimes and have never had any problems with it.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: