Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: I PAD OR WINDOWS LAPTOP???  (Read 15310 times)
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Sunday, June 20, 2010, 11:56:22 »

I'm Granny Smith, and Apple was my idea...

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Sunday, June 20, 2010, 14:52:43 »

A laptop is a computer, an iPad is a marketing ploy to separate fashionistas with more money than sense from the former. Or put another way, it's a bit like a smartphone. But you can't make/receive calls on it. And it's too bulky to put in your pocket. So it's like a rubbish smartphone, or a rubbish laptop.

The iPad is a sub-netbook. If you want to read e-books, check your email, browse the web, watch a video then there isn't anything better out there. It's got nothing to do with marketing, they just designed a product to do specific tasks in the best way possible and they succeeded. That's why they're selling them as fast as they can make them.

I've never understood the point of netbooks, they're just expensive crap laptops.
shady

Free the Etuhu one!!

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Sunday, June 20, 2010, 14:58:35 »

You'd be better off with a good book. Technology, pah!
Barry Scott

« Reply #18 on: Sunday, June 20, 2010, 15:11:41 »

The iPad is a sub-netbook. If you want to read e-books, check your email, browse the web, watch a video then there isn't anything better out there. It's got nothing to do with marketing, they just designed a product to do specific tasks in the best way possible and they succeeded. That's why they're selling them as fast as they can make them.

I've never understood the point of netbooks, they're just expensive crap laptops.

It's all about the pricing though jonny. It's price makes it a Laptop rival, not a sub-netbook. Sure they'll tell you it is (that's part of the clever marketing you refute), but at £500 you have to consider what that £500 could get you. 2 netbooks or a pretty good laptop. Both of which do more than an iPad. Although i suppose neither a laptop or a netbook also cover the "I work in bricklane doing Nu Media and shit yeah" crowd. Smiley
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #19 on: Sunday, June 20, 2010, 15:12:40 »

I only assume you meant to post something so ironic to make us laugh.

iPads are over £500 for the cheapest one. Want additional storage space? Another £200 for an extra 16gb which is scandalous! You can't upgrade them and the specs are no better than a netbook in terms of memory and processor power.

The point is, a £300 netbook can do everything this can, just in different ways. Or even an ipod touch or an iphone. It's just a bigger, heavier and more expensive version of these devices.

It's not the revolution Apple want everyone to think it is. Sure, it makes the tablet computer cool, mainstream etc. but is it better than a smartphone or our current computers? Do we really need it?
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Sunday, June 20, 2010, 15:21:34 »

iPads are over £500 for the cheapest one. Want additional storage space? Another £200 for an extra 16gb which is scandalous! You can't upgrade them and the specs are no better than a netbook in terms of memory and processor power.

Don't know where you got those figures from. Cheapest is £420 with 16Gb, then £499 for 32Gb and £599 for 64Gb.

The point is, a £300 netbook can do everything this can, just in different ways. Or even an ipod touch or an iphone. It's just a bigger, heavier and more expensive version of these devices.

It's not the revolution Apple want everyone to think it is. Sure, it makes the tablet computer cool, mainstream etc. but is it better than a smartphone or our current computers? Do we really need it?

As I said, it does limited things better and some people are willing to pay for it. You might not need it but plenty of people do, millions already in fact. Give it six months and you'll be singing the praises of the HTC Droid Pad or whatever they will call it.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #21 on: Sunday, June 20, 2010, 15:53:11 »

Jonny, you slate a netbook stating it is an expensive crap laptop, but then the iPad is more expensive. Can you not see the irony? That's all I was pointing out.

Do I need it though? I already have a laptop and a pc. I'm sure most of us here do to (as we're posting on an internet message board). If I need a new laptop/pc am I really going to consider an iPad as an alternative. The answer could be yes if I only want to check emails and browse the net etc. But that's why the expensive crap laptop [netbook] exists too.

It's a stylish product, a really good one. It's just very expensive. If people have the money and want it then that's their prerogative. I can see why they would too, for example I'd probably pay extra for a VW over the equivalent Skoda. But the iPad is not the best thing out there in terms of functionality.

yeo

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Sunday, June 20, 2010, 15:58:56 »

Yes but cool gadgety gadgets are fun,if I had any expendable Id get one.

Im easily sucked in by media hype though Cool
« Last Edit: Sunday, June 20, 2010, 16:03:38 by yeo » Logged

/
W56196272
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #23 on: Sunday, June 20, 2010, 16:00:04 »

Yes that's what my last point was.

In actual truth if I had loads of spare money I'd probably get one too.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Sunday, June 20, 2010, 16:02:20 »

It's a stylish product, a really good one. It's just very expensive.

Exactly. It has to be judged on price v functionality then compared to the competition. And it is being.

If it had a sub netbook price (we are talking < £200) and I'd be interested. But its more than twice the price and so its never likely to be cheap enough.
stfcinbmth

« Reply #25 on: Sunday, June 20, 2010, 18:44:04 »

If I had a spare £600 or even a spare £400, there is no way I'd buy an iPad. No flash player, can't burn cd's, can't make phone calls, bet you can't even hard wire it(can't be arsed to check) tied into that awful piece of software that is iTunes. Return to Apple if it goes wrong and not see it for weeks(I'm the fix it myself brigade) No thanks, give me a lappie any time.

Although I agree if I had plenty of disposable ie won the lottery, then one would be fun to mess with, but I would think the novelty would soon wear thin given the lack of funtionality

Oh and shady although a book is good, without technology and forums such as this, you would have been legging it all the way to the CG for your play off final ticket
« Last Edit: Sunday, June 20, 2010, 18:46:24 by stfcinbmth » Logged
shady

Free the Etuhu one!!

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Sunday, June 20, 2010, 19:15:23 »

Good call STFC in Bournemouth, hope you're sinking a few San Miguels tonight. I've  learnt more from a good book than all this technological malarky has been worthwhile. Maybe it's because I wasn't brought up among computers. I'm calling by yours in a few weeks hopefully.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #27 on: Sunday, June 20, 2010, 19:22:40 »

What about an iBook? Wink
shady

Free the Etuhu one!!

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Sunday, June 20, 2010, 20:04:32 »

Have they got any Dostoyevsky or Solzhenitsyn, that'll do me
stfcinbmth

« Reply #29 on: Sunday, June 20, 2010, 20:06:23 »

Good call STFC in Bournemouth, hope you're sinking a few San Miguels tonight. I've  learnt more from a good book than all this technological malarky has been worthwhile. Maybe it's because I wasn't brought up among computers. I'm calling by yours in a few weeks hopefully.

Looking forward to a visit as long as it's the weekend. I wasn't bought up among computers either, and I'm a lot older than you, it's been a learning curve, but a lot of fun

@Si, that's one of the main uses of the ipad so I believe, an ebook reader?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: