Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Help - My MS word document is not responding!  (Read 2146 times)
jimbob

Ignore
« on: Saturday, June 19, 2010, 13:15:58 »

ok, so it happened to me with excel(unbeknowingly) and now its happening to me with MS Word (my fault)....you think I would have learnt by now huh  Sad

updating my CV for last couple of hours and suddenly its hanging on the egg timer and its stating that my document is not responding. I was so 'zoned in' (mainly due to the boredom of the dutch v japan game) that I was forgetting to save as I went.....

what can I do?? will it recover the doc if I close word??

not sure if this makes a difference but the document is in 'compatibility mode'

any help much appreciated
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #1 on: Saturday, June 19, 2010, 13:34:10 »

Can you open up a new blank word document?
jimbob

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, June 19, 2010, 13:35:14 »

yeah
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, June 19, 2010, 13:35:28 »

If its hung doubt there is much you can do but close the app. It MAY recover it for you.

If you can open a new blank doc. Can you open a copy of the CV and save it as something else, then try the recovery?
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, June 19, 2010, 13:36:30 »

Track down the autosave file and make a copy of it, in case it gets trashed when you restart Word.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #5 on: Saturday, June 19, 2010, 13:41:41 »

2 things I would try/look at before closing:

1) I would go to word and click open and look in C:>documents and settings>your username>Application Data>Microsoft>word.

If there is anything in there which has a file name 'auto recovery of file' or something similar try and open that and save a copy somewhere else.

2) It may have saved in the background anyway. Go to where you saved the original file and right click>properties. Look at the time modified and see if this seems reasonable.

Either way if the program has hung you're going to have to end it.
jimbob

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, June 19, 2010, 14:15:34 »

thanks for all your help everyone

I have had a result as the 'autosave' version managed to retrieve almost all of my updates :-)

laptop slow as fuck, old as fuck and not a lot of memory left so time for an upgrade....sounds like its owner, boom boom
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: