Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 2010/11 Fixtures  (Read 17965 times)
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: Saturday, June 19, 2010, 08:28:36 »

You're wrong by about 2 years.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: Saturday, June 19, 2010, 08:29:30 »

Ho ho. So I am. Apologies, carry on.

Things get better but they never get good
Spencer_White

« Reply #92 on: Saturday, June 19, 2010, 10:37:53 »

Going back to the actual fixture list, Id say there are a few dissapointments but overrall its actually very good. This season Im starting my boycott of out of town grounds. I wont be going to Franchise, Yeovil or Colchester. Just find those 3 grounds too depressing.

Great opener against Brighton. Ideal. Fixture with some rivalry, they will bring a great following. Dont mind Hartlepool, because its one of the few away ends left in the league where you can get some decent support going with a small following. Hopefully it will be a bit like the 2006 opener up there, that was brilliant. I'm gona go up on the train.

September, really good home games that should let us know who the real challengers are in the league. Southampton, Huddersfield and Plymouth at home, in some decent weather? Always go to Walsall.

October, Dagenham away, new ground. Peterborough away, good away end. Rovers at home on a saturday, need a good win against them this season.

November and pre christmas december, the worst part of the season. Good fixtures are wasted at this time of the season. Not many away games I want to go to, which is good. Maybe do Rochdale (new ground for me).

Christmas looks good to me. Dissapointed we wont be able to do group savers on the train to Exeter, have to get some road transport for Boxing day. But thats the only away game, Tranmere, Peterborough and Bournemouth at home should yeild points in front of decent crowds, get our season going.

Jan. Hopefully still be in the FAC so Orient away will be moved to a better time of year. Another freezing away day at the Memorial ground.

Feb, Bournemouth game will depend on how well the team is playing. Saints on a saturday, very nice. Carling cup final. Easy. Wont be going to Col U, no way.

Dissapointed with March. Pretty crap really. All 3 away games depend on how the team is playing. Plymouth midweek, Huddersfield and Brighton all hard work.

April. Very nice saturday tie at Brentford late on in the season, like it. Lots of home games which we'll need a massive points haul from. Hate being away on the April bank holliday monday and I think its going to spoil what would have been an attractive fixture at Wednesday. Everyone's had too much on the weekend and is on a downer, waiting for work on the way home. Terrible traffic.  I dont think Ive been up north on a bank holliday monday since about 2005 at Tranmere Rovers. That really was the journey home from hell. Sobering up on the way back, stuck in traffic, work looming.

Which leads us on to Tranmere away last game. Strange old lot, Tranmere. Never know what they are going to be like. Been there 3 times and still havnt formed an opinion of them. Dont know how they'll react to having a big Swindon following if we're in the mixer. FAC final for Wembley this time thanks, were already promoted.
Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: Saturday, June 19, 2010, 10:59:22 »

Last time Swindon played Bmth in a league game it was deffo a Saturday 2-2 if I remember rightly. I'm pissed off as it's midweek and if I'm on lates I gotta book a days holiday

Yup. Barry Corr scored a curler from the edge of the area.

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
mexico red

Demasiado no es demasiado

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: Saturday, June 19, 2010, 11:18:06 »

and adje missed it buying me a cup of tea Smiley
stfcinbmth

« Reply #95 on: Saturday, June 19, 2010, 12:51:46 »

Yup. Barry Corr scored a curler from the edge of the area.

Ah it's coming back to me, twas at the open end

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: Saturday, June 19, 2010, 14:04:39 »

i must be in the minority as i like colchesters new ground.
i think it suits them fine and the transport links were good from the station.
it aint really out of town either is it? was only about 5 mins on the bus
Spencer_White

« Reply #97 on: Saturday, June 19, 2010, 14:40:35 »

it aint really out of town either is it?

Yes it is. 
Talk Talk

« Reply #98 on: Saturday, June 19, 2010, 14:48:39 »

I agree with Spencer (well I usually do...)

Col U's new ground is truly horrid. Soulless, out of town and supporter-free.

I won't be going back there again, ever.

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: Saturday, June 19, 2010, 14:54:25 »

how do grounds have souls? does old = a ground with a soul?

i dont get what's wrong with colchesters?it's a tidy little ground imo.it's the right size for them and does the job well.good view,etc,etc.
the pitch was dire though.

now if we are talking shit grounds,the bescot for a newish ground is dire.all those fucking poles in the way.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: Saturday, June 19, 2010, 19:52:48 »

how do grounds have souls? does old = a ground with a soul?

i dont get what's wrong with colchesters? it's a tidy little ground imo.it's the right size for them and does the job well.good view,etc,etc.
the pitch was dire though.

now if we are talking shit grounds,the bescot for a newish ground is dire.all those fucking poles in the way.

Yes, I do think old ground = ground with a soul

The Weston Homes Community Stadium (nice corporate name to add to the souless feel) could be any 'new ground'...there's no individuality any more. If some one took you blind folded to Layer Road, you would know when they took the blind fold off, where you were. Similarly, you would know if you were at Gay Meadow. These days though, the only way you would know the difference between the two would be the writing on the seats spelling out CUFC or STFC.

It's no one's fault, but the problem with new grounds is that they have no soul. That's why I'm so glad we're having the CG redeveloped  instead of having a new ground built.

And like so many other 'new grounds', it is in the middle of some industrial park with no facilities around it whatsoever. At Stoke's old Victoria Ground for example, you could get off the train, stroll to a pub right next to the station and then a further 5 minute walk via the chippy would get you to the ground. These days its a two mile hike or you have to piss about with buses. I know which I prefer.

Col U's ground is way out of town. If it was any further out it would be in Suffolk!

The ground itself is perfectly functional and is certainly more than big enough for Colchester's somewhat feeble support. But it's just horrible.

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: Saturday, June 19, 2010, 19:58:27 »

good post ost, and i take your points.
i went to the old stoke ground and it rocked.but football has and is changing.

colchester must be small, as the bus ride was very short from the station to the ground.
One F In Fitton

« Reply #102 on: Saturday, June 19, 2010, 22:56:20 »

Bristol Rovers home and away on a Saturday? You're talking garbage. the police requests are to do with teams traveling together, or two sides in close proximity playing at home on the same day etc.

You are ignoring the DETAILS. You are right in what you say above, but there is more to it. Other than that, you are guessing - I have actual knowledge of what goes on. It doesn't bother me if you don't want to listen.
Doore

« Reply #103 on: Saturday, June 19, 2010, 22:58:55 »

You are ignoring the DETAILS. You are right in what you say above, but there is more to it. Other than that, you are guessing - I have actual knowledge of what goes on. It doesn't bother me if you don't want to listen.

It seems to bother you a little.  You used capitals - this shows some form of "bothered-ness".
One F In Fitton

« Reply #104 on: Sunday, June 20, 2010, 01:07:22 »

Im not saying that they dont have influence, we would never get Oxford on the opening day of a season for example. I know the Police have the veto over all Football League fixtures, and have had that power since after the Bournemouth v Leeds game in 1990. But saying weve got Bournemouth and Plymouth on a tuesday because of trouble? Clearly bollocks. Like I said, we got Gills AT GILLINGHAM away first game of the season last season, and that fixture had the worst crowd trouble I have ever seen in 2006. Ever. We got them last away game the season before, when Oxford had a team in Kent the same day and it went off big time at Paddington. Total police fuck up. You explain that one? Weve got Bournemouth and Plymouth away on tuesday nights because there are lots of southern teams in the league and some fixtures have to be tuesday night games.To be honest, Swindon's mob is nowhere near as dangerous as what it was a few years ago. Our fixtures are not a priority anymore, unlike when we were in League 2 for a season.

Spencer you obviously know what you're talking about, but other people do too. Using phrases like "don't know what you're typing", and "clearly bollocks" makes you look like a God-Almighty, & you could perhaps demonstrate some more humility. Part of my enjoyment of the TEF is the learning in certain areas, but also I know what I'm talking about on plenty of subjects.

You've completely ignored my comments about the police ensuring that they have the necessary resources for high-profile fixtures. If they changed every game where there is potential trouble, there wouldn't be many Saturday games left. If they're confident, there's no need for change. It just depends what's going on in that particular area at that time. Don't blame me if they get it wrong - ask them! It's not just other football matches - think about all the other things that happen which require a police presence, football isn't the only thing in the world. I forget where it was but we had a wierd k/o time recently because of an animal-rights protest. Somebody will no doubt tell me which game this was.

Like I said, I am aware of the procedures because of my Dad's involvement. If you want to ignore this, I'm not bothered. They do change certain fixtures - not always the biggest ones (Bmouth/Plymouth away??) - but anything to help with keeping costs down & making things easier to manage.
« Last Edit: Sunday, June 20, 2010, 03:39:56 by One F In Fitton » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up
Print
Jump to: