Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 15   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Your Five Favourite Pubs  (Read 50329 times)
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Thursday, June 17, 2010, 07:26:36 »

Any pub that sells a good beer is a good pub.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
land_of_bo

« Reply #16 on: Thursday, June 17, 2010, 07:41:20 »

No particular order

The Porter - Bath. Bit pricey, but well bohemian and cool
The Royal Oak - Bath. Most pricey drink is only £3. Only serves local ales and ciders. Really nice
The Savoy. Swindon - Cheap place to get plastered in before a night out

There are no others I'm afraid

Is that the Royal Oak in Widecombe?

The Raven is pretty good for real ales and especially good for pie and chips.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Thursday, June 17, 2010, 07:44:57 »

Nah, on the edge of oldfield park/twerton.

I forgot about the raven. Not been there a lot but its good.

Things get better but they never get good
LucienSanchez

Is this hospital called St. Croc of Shit?!

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Thursday, June 17, 2010, 08:22:45 »

The Sloop Inn - St Ives
Glue Pot - Swindon
The Porter - Bath
Start the Bus - Bristol
White Horse - Winterbourne Bassett

We made a promise we swore we'd always remember... no retreat, baby, no surrender
TownLoyal

« Reply #19 on: Thursday, June 17, 2010, 08:56:11 »

the video shop !!!!  Cheesy my old area. so many pubs round there. prince of wales, the castle, thee beehive, the globe

Closed as of 2 weeks ago Sad when I first moved up here I felt spoilt for choice Cheesy
Stegenfreud

Say what now?

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Thursday, June 17, 2010, 09:41:09 »

There is quite a few out there, and some good'uns already mentioned.....

The Porterhouse, Covent Garden, London - Big place with more international beers than you can shake a stick at, always busy with a good atmosphere, strange multi-floor layout that can get you running in circles after a few have been sunk.

The Jericho Tavern, Jericho, Oxford (booooo) - Relaxed bar/pub with live music upstairs and good beers and lagers on tap, bit pricey with a clientele to match, but a nice bar/beer/music/food establishment to spend a few hours.

Thr British Lion, Devizes - Wiggy summed it up well. Lots of well kept guest ales and interesting folk to keep you occupied.

The Pulteney Arms, Bath - Only been a in there a few times, but always enjoyed it as an escape from the crowds for a quite beer. Always found the staff friendly and the beer has always been spot on.

.... Also like to say that from my point of view you cannot beat a few beers in a good pub with some good company, think i'd get depressed sat on my sofa drinking on my own all the time  Sad

simon FERRY cross the avon... do do.
nevillew
Tripping the light puntastic

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Thursday, June 17, 2010, 09:45:35 »

.... Also like to say that from my point of view you cannot beat a few beers in a good pub with some good company, think i'd get depressed sat on my sofa drinking on my own all the time  Sad

Hear hear to that .

Paolo Di Canio, it's Paolo Di Canio
Jean-Francois is God

« Reply #22 on: Thursday, June 17, 2010, 09:46:26 »

Right - here goes.

British Lion, Devizes

Proper, old fashioned pub near the town centre. No food (expect crisps and nuts), always got 4 well kept real ales and a selection of ciders. Great crowd of regulars from all walks of life. Free House.

Another good pub along the similar lines of the British Lion is The Lamb in Devizes, a cracking little pub where everything appears to be £3.  Has a very good jukey and a good little pool room too.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Thursday, June 17, 2010, 09:49:34 »

The Jericho Tavern, Jericho, Oxford (booooo) - Relaxed bar/pub with live music upstairs and good beers and lagers on tap, bit pricey with a clientele to match, but a nice bar/beer/music/food establishment to spend a few hours.

I used to live just around the corner from there.  Long time ago though.  It sounds as if it's gone up market since I knew it.

Amen to that.
BANGKOK RED

« Reply #24 on: Thursday, June 17, 2010, 10:02:21 »

Not all pubs but:

1) Tok's little hut - Ao Pai Beach, Koh Samet
A small open air bar in a fantastic location, right on the beach of the paradise Island of Thailand's Koh Samet. Open early until the last person leaves you can literally drink all day long without moving. A night table and Thai style recliners are laid out on the beach so that you can get absolutely hammered and fuck about on the beach with friends and family. Very, very friendly staff whom almost become like an extension of the family.

Can't wait to get back

2) The crossbar - Asoke Rd, Bangkok
A sports pub run by a Brummie in the heart of Bangkok, the sportsbar is a great place to get away from it all. With a regular clientele consisting mostly of Brit's and Ozzie's it can be a home away from home for some. With good food on offer and a number of screens showing a number of different sporting events at any time, it is a great place to get away from the red-light districts and just getting fucking annihilated with friends.

3) Morning night bar - Soi Nana, Bangkok
Right on the entrance to Nana Plaza, one of the sleaziest locations in S.E. Asia, Morning night bar can offer a very interesting night indeed. A large open plan place in a great location makes it a fantastic to meet throughout any time of day. Being on the entrance of the infamous Nana plaza one can spend all day watching the filthy old men going in for their whores making it one of the worlds elite venues for people watching.

4) Shadow bar - Soi Cowboy, Bangkok.
Located deep within the infamous Soi Cowboy, the Shadow bar is one of the few drinking places on the Soi that is not a go-go bar. Open early afternoon, one can take advantage of the fabulous prices to just sit outside all day and get fucking wankered. The great location means that the possibility of meeting up with friends by chance is high, making for many an impromptu bender.

STFC_Gazza

« Reply #25 on: Thursday, June 17, 2010, 10:36:59 »

1) Tiger Lilly's - Edinburgh
2) Black Horse - Upper Wanborough
3) Ann's Beach Bar - La Pineda Spain
4) Charlie Fitzwhiskeys - Toronto Canada
5) Bee Hive - Swindon
shady

Free the Etuhu one!!

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Thursday, June 17, 2010, 12:47:50 »

LucienSanchez's shout of The Sloop Inn, in St Ives, is a good call. Last time I was in there I had a few too many Doom Bars and moved onto the Cornish Rattler cider, lethal but the best cider you'll taste!
http://www.sloop-inn.co.uk/
http://www.cornishrattler.co.uk/

sn5_red

« Reply #27 on: Thursday, June 17, 2010, 13:13:00 »

Closed as of 2 weeks ago Sad when I first moved up here I felt spoilt for choice Cheesy

really? i thought they were moving to the back end of that building?
juddie

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Thursday, June 17, 2010, 13:24:46 »

great shout Luce re: the sloop. Few better places to be on a summer's day than in there smashing some Doom Bar.

So:

1. bankes arms, studland bay
http://www.bankesarms.com/

2. Sloop Inn, St Ives

3. The Ship Inn, Wokingham (where I spend most of my days)

4. Balcony Bar, Byron Bay

5. I'm with BR on this one: awesome. 1) Tok's little hut - Ao Pai Beach, Koh Samet. was in there last september.

6. The Fortescue Arms, Woolacombe
Plumstead Red
Formerly Arkells Chris

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Thursday, June 17, 2010, 13:38:49 »

Here's mine:

1. The Ship and Anchor - Southwold, Suffolk - for the Adnams Ales. Right next to the Brewery. Adnams is one of the best ales in the country IMO. Good views over the North Sea too.

2. The Mill Inn - Aldeburgh, Suffolk. For all of the above reasons!

3. The Gardener's Arms - Loughton, Essex. Great pub. Great beers, friendly landlord who won't chuck you out when it's time at the bar, he'll just let you take as long as you want finishing your drinks. Great views of Canary Wharf, Docklands and the Dome from the hill.

4. The Dove - Hammersmith, London. My favourite London riverside pub, another being the Marquis of Whitby in Wapping. Fuller's London Pride is another great ale.

5. The Rat Trap - Highworth Road, Stratton. My local. Good ales and good food, friendly owners.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 15   Go Up
Print
Jump to: