Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 15   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Your Five Favourite Pubs  (Read 50315 times)
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: Thursday, June 17, 2010, 19:16:32 »

It's on lower bristol road, which I think is the one you're on about. Nice pub and good, if expensive, beer. Friendly locals too, which is quite different to most of the pubs in my area

Yeah, sounds like it.

We used to go to Bath quite a lot when we were younger. In fact my Stag Night was a pub crawl from he Brain Surgery in Larkhall into Town.
redbullzeye

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: Thursday, June 17, 2010, 19:22:11 »

All of mine are music pubs and memories.... Queens Tap, Bristol Bridge Inn, Riverside Lechlade, Beehive... oh and the Crown and Anchor at Dell Quay W Sussex
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: Thursday, June 17, 2010, 19:59:18 »

A bit further afield

1. The Pump and Tap - Leicester.  Now sadly been knocked down.
2. Hogans - Queens Road Leicester.  Just used to be my local so I liked it.
3. The Racehorse - Northampton.  Proper Indie / Goth / Rock pub.
4. The Picturedrome - Northampton.  As 'bars' go very nice.  Still had a stage and working cinema screen at last check.

Thats it.  I haven't really been out much since I moved back to 'Nam.  That was 3 years ago.  I really do need to get out more.

Never knowingly overstated.
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: Thursday, June 17, 2010, 20:47:09 »

A bit further afield

1. The Pump and Tap - Leicester.  Now sadly been knocked down.
3. The Racehorse - Northampton.  Proper Indie / Goth / Rock pub.
4. The Picturedrome - Northampton.  As 'bars' go very nice.  Still had a stage and working cinema screen at last check.

Thats it.  I haven't really been out much since I moved back to 'Nam.  That was 3 years ago.  I really do need to get out more.

And nothing has yet been built in its place.  Fucking council.

I would recommend the Criterion to anyone when in Leicester, many beers, all well looked after, they also have a chef with a pizza oven and do superb pizza.  It used to be called the Nag's Head, just by the Magazine.  It has been the Friday night pub of choice for years.  Also, the Swan and Rushes, again good beer, well looked after, but damn fine fish and chips, rather than pizza.

Pint

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
Christy

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: Thursday, June 17, 2010, 20:55:55 »

I used to live on Queens Road and I don't even remember no 'Hogans'.....Huh?  When is this?

The Clarendon mind, now you're talking.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: Thursday, June 17, 2010, 21:06:56 »

In no particular order, my favourites are:

1. Marlborough Arms, Cirencester. Really bad pub, but had so many good pissed up nights there. Could tell it was getting too serious when on a couple of occasions it was 4am and we ordered a taxi to nip down Greasy Joes and pick up a takeaway.

2. The Millstone, Old Basing, Basingstoke. Used to go there with works on a lunchtime on Friday. Only place outside Wilts/Gloucs that I've had a good 6X, straight out the barrel too. 

3. Bryn-y-mor (Hill of/by the sea in English), Brynmill, Swansea. My local(ish) way back when I was a student

4. Market Porter, London Bridge. Now my preferred stop off at London games. Unless its QPR, then its the Springbok.

5. Wheatsheaf, Ciren. Circa 1990. College mates used to go there, a couple of pool tables, good music on the duke box. Bit quieter these days.

Which doesn't mean they are good pubs mind!
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: Thursday, June 17, 2010, 21:16:24 »

I would recommend the Criterion to anyone when in Leicester, many beers, all well looked after, they also have a chef with a pizza oven and do superb pizza.  It used to be called the Nag's Head, just by the Magazine.  It has been the Friday night pub of choice for years.  Also, the Swan and Rushes, again good beer, well looked after, but damn fine fish and chips, rather than pizza.

Pint

Shit the Nags heads gone all posh has it!  I agree the Swan and rushes is another good one.

It was criminal the bullshit that went on so the pump and tap could be forcibly closed down.  A lot of stuff goes on revolving around demont uni that is a bit shit.  The old union is still there, it was supposed to be knocked down in about 2002.  I stopped working there in 2001 because it was going to be knocked down (and because I was bored and got offered a better job I suppose)

I used to live on Queens Road and I don't even remember no 'Hogans'.....Huh?  When is this?

The Clarendon mind, now you're talking.

Lived in Leicester 1995 - 2003.  Hogans was just on the left past the butchers as you went down towards vicky park.

donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: Thursday, June 17, 2010, 21:26:35 »

Shit the Nags heads gone all posh has it!  I agree the Swan and rushes is another good one.

Not posh, not posh at all.  Just damn good beer and pizza...and the occasional band.  I even sang once (just the once mind).

Council are bastards.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: Thursday, June 17, 2010, 21:46:26 »

I remember Leicester when braunstone gate had 2 old mens pubs and one bar.  Now its nothing but bars.

Good to hear the Nags head isn't all style barred up.  Ill drop in next time Im in town.

donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: Thursday, June 17, 2010, 21:49:49 »

I remember Leicester when braunstone gate had 2 old mens pubs and one bar.  Now its nothing but bars.

Even Mario's Chippery is licenced!

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: Thursday, June 17, 2010, 21:53:05 »

I know!  Been there for a beer a fair few times.  Very odd.  First pint of the night with a battered sausage and a samosa.

suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: Thursday, June 17, 2010, 21:58:17 »

Pint

What's the bar called as you turn out of the station in Leicester? Huge but was empty when i was in last season. Nice bar though.
juddie

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: Thursday, June 17, 2010, 22:02:52 »

It's one of my favouite spots in the country. Even thought about getting married there but jogged the idea on. Amazing spot!

There must be so many more round there and round the jurassic coast. One day I'll find em!

Juddie, not only are we agreed on The Sloop as being top 5, you've just named my favourite pub here in Dorset: The Bankes Arms. I walked past it earlier on a jaunt around the coast! Great place, lovely benched grassy area opposite side of the road to look out over Poole Bay. Great selection of beers, many from it's own on-site micro brewery, good relaxed ambience, stunning scenery, 5* beach on the doorstep. Good call, just a little busy at times.

http://www.bankesarms.com/

The already mentioned Square and Compass in Worth Matravers is also well renowned.
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: Thursday, June 17, 2010, 22:23:25 »

What's the bar called as you turn out of the station in Leicester? Huge but was empty when i was in last season. Nice bar though.

Time Bar.  By the statue of Thomas Cook.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

Talk Talk

« Reply #74 on: Thursday, June 17, 2010, 22:24:06 »

County Ground Hotel.

You bunch of tossers.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 15   Go Up
Print
Jump to: