Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 15   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Your Five Favourite Pubs  (Read 50994 times)
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Thursday, June 17, 2010, 13:48:05 »

4. The Dove - Hammersmith, London. My favourite London riverside pub, another being the Marquis of Whitby in Wapping. Fuller's London Pride is another great ale.

Think I went there once.  Is this the place that claims to be the smallest pub in the country?
Cookie

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Thursday, June 17, 2010, 13:53:00 »

Most of these hold good memories rather than actually being any good so don’t go visiting on my recommendation.

1 – The Wheatsheaf, Old Town – I’ve probably spent more time in here than any other pub and for that reason alone it makes the top 5. Jukebox – check, pool table – check, dartboard – check, table football – check, nutter glass collector – check. Perfect pub when I was 18. Not so much now unfortunately but the place holds some happy memories.

2 – Harry’s Bar – Stoke-on-Trent – Another old haunt, haven’t been there for nearly 8 years so maybe a dive now but an excellent bar to while away those lazy student hours. It also hosted some interesting characters when the stokies where playing at home.

3 – The Cardinal, Victoria/Westminster – The work local. Although the beer tastes terrible it is very cheap and the Friday evenings which have disappeared in here are legendary. What stays in the cards, stays in the cards.

4 – The Coach and Horses, Barnes – Living in Barnes, the local pubs are geared up for the local rich list and as such the choice is limited which is the only reason this little bar makes it in to the top 5. Cosy little bar, outside toilets and a ice cream parlour in the garden. Where would I be without the locals local?

5 – The Montagu Arm, Beaulieu – Spent a year down in the New Forest and this place was the only thing that stopped me going a bit mental. It’s probably changed now but used to have a posh food/hotel side for the tourists and a pub side for the poorer locals. Loved looking at the girls in the riding boots and jodhpurs.
Plumstead Red
Formerly Arkells Chris

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Thursday, June 17, 2010, 13:53:39 »

Think so Ardiles. The pub next door to it as well (The Blue Boar or something? Blue Boat?) is also very nice. I think there is also The Anchor in Hammersmith.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Thursday, June 17, 2010, 14:03:14 »

I think you're thinking of the Blue Anchor.  We used to head there on Boat Race weekends...great (but very packed) view point, right at the top of the bend on the river.
Anteater

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Thursday, June 17, 2010, 14:27:02 »

In no particular order

Glue Pot or Beehive (cant choose) - Swindon
Square and Compass - Worth Matravers, Dorset
Blue Peter - Polperro, Cornwall
Lamb and Flag - Covent Garden
The Lamb Marlborough, or Golden Swan Wilcot, again cant choose!
shady

Free the Etuhu one!!

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Thursday, June 17, 2010, 14:32:40 »

Juddie, not only are we agreed on The Sloop as being top 5, you've just named my favourite pub here in Dorset: The Bankes Arms. I walked past it earlier on a jaunt around the coast! Great place, lovely benched grassy area opposite side of the road to look out over Poole Bay. Great selection of beers, many from it's own on-site micro brewery, good relaxed ambience, stunning scenery, 5* beach on the doorstep. Good call, just a little busy at times.

http://www.bankesarms.com/

The already mentioned Square and Compass in Worth Matravers is also well renowned.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Thursday, June 17, 2010, 16:46:35 »

1. Beehive....
 2. Steam...
 3. Vic....
 4. Donkey...
 5  Wheatsheaf....

All pubs I use regularly....the order reflects the amount, and the preference.

Wheatsheaf dropped to 5th after recently, getting hassled to sup up on a Thursday night at about 11:50, being in their with a bird and no other punters....not good.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Thursday, June 17, 2010, 16:50:46 »

Oooo, I forgot the green park tavern. Good pub that, though a bit pricey for poor little me.

Is it considered wrong to go to a pub on your own?

Things get better but they never get good
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Thursday, June 17, 2010, 17:07:02 »

there are some really nice pubs within pissing distance of where i now live, visited one or two and they're great. enjoyed some good pints.

leefer

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Thursday, June 17, 2010, 17:40:32 »

The Rolleston,was and still is a good pub and met my wife there.
Three Crowns,Brinkworth...great food.
The Snakecatcher in Brockenhurst...love Brockenhurst and a real nice pub.
The Blue Boar in Aldbourne...great variety of beer.
The Trout in Ringwood...lived there when younger and loved sitting in the garden in summer watching the HampshireAvon flow by.

Have been in many pubs all over the country on my lorry travels and enjoy the different cultures each area has...was in Torrington Devon last week and had a shandy in the Black Bear right in the market place ....no great shakes as a pub really but the fact Cromwell defeated the Royalists here and he stayed at the pub(coaching house then) makes it the real deal for me..love old pubs with history...........Salisbury is full of old pubs stooped in history around the Cathedral.

Other notable pubs i used to frequent and like.
Sir Dan,The Locomotive,The Worthy(Worthington)Lamb and Flag and my past Swindon favourite The Rolling Mills.
« Last Edit: Thursday, June 17, 2010, 17:54:49 by leefer » Logged
LucienSanchez

Is this hospital called St. Croc of Shit?!

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Thursday, June 17, 2010, 17:41:52 »

there are some really nice pubs within pissing distance of where i now live, visited one or two and they're great. enjoyed some good pints.

How are you settling in dude?

We made a promise we swore we'd always remember... no retreat, baby, no surrender
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Thursday, June 17, 2010, 17:43:38 »

My current 5 faves are:

The Bunch of Grapes-London Bridge
Tattershall Castle-River thames by the London eye.
The Woodman-Carshalton Village.
The Market Porter- London Bridge
The Beehive-Carlisle.

Oh and an honourable mention to Dirty Dicks at Liverpool st.
mexico red

Demasiado no es demasiado

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Thursday, June 17, 2010, 17:58:58 »

1. Bar milan -reforma- mexico city - at the weekends its a fucking blast, great music and full of gorgeous women who fall over themselves for englishmen.

2. Beehive - swindon, my first legal pint, RIP Noel you were a gent.

3. Tiger Inn - east dean east sussex, local inn on village green, great beer and food and you couldnt get a more idlylic setting

4. Silver sands - Koh samet Thailand, late night sordid den of sex drugs and shit music on paradise island, laugh at the ladyboys noshing off pissed up blokes from bradford whilst wiggling their hips to jamelia

5. Evening star - Brighton, best beer i have encountered in any pub in the world.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Thursday, June 17, 2010, 18:03:10 »

Shocked
Luci

Fatbury's Stalker

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Thursday, June 17, 2010, 18:10:16 »

The Rose Revived - Newbridge, Oxfordshire

Daly Waters Pub - (NT) Outback Australia

The Retreat, Cheltenham

The King Arthur, The Gower

The Plough, Wanborough (maybe not so much anymore)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 15   Go Up
Print
Jump to: