Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Your Five Favourite Pubs  (Read 50330 times)
JanTheMan

Ignore
« Reply #180 on: Saturday, December 8, 2012, 12:50:14 »

On this point, can anyone recommend a decent Sunday roast in Swindon and the surroundings? A nice country pub with decent ale would be ideal.

Best one recently was at a pub in Compton Bassett, although can't remember the name and it is a bit of a trek from Swindon.
JanTheMan

Ignore
« Reply #181 on: Saturday, December 8, 2012, 12:50:44 »

On this point, can anyone recommend a decent Sunday roast in Swindon and the surroundings? A nice country pub with decent ale would be ideal.

Best one recently was at a pub in Compton Bassett, although can't remember the name and it is a bit of a trek from Swindon.
fittons_coaching_badge

Ignore
« Reply #182 on: Saturday, December 8, 2012, 12:51:33 »

I take it no one has put forward the Liden Arms yet?  Hmmm
Not that Nice If I'm Honest

Ignore
« Reply #183 on: Saturday, December 8, 2012, 13:06:52 »

The Sow & Pigs at Thundridge has a very good reputation for Sunday lunch - but you have to book 'cos it's mobbed
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #184 on: Saturday, December 8, 2012, 16:34:51 »

The white horse.  Went the other week and was very impressed.  Even my folks didnt complain.

Never knowingly overstated.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #185 on: Saturday, December 8, 2012, 17:19:40 »

If this included pubs abroad then I have to add the Delirium Café in Brussels, OMG over 2,000 beers on with entertainment too as suggested by Bert1981.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.

Ignore
« Reply #186 on: Saturday, December 8, 2012, 18:13:49 »

Its all about the Toot and Whistle.  Pint  Pint   miss those lock ins....
Dostoyevsky

Ignore
« Reply #187 on: Saturday, December 8, 2012, 18:15:15 »

The Harp just off Leicester Square, traditional London in a melangerie of lost tradition.
fatbasher

« Reply #188 on: Saturday, December 8, 2012, 19:19:57 »

You've got to be taking the piss?

That's what I thought too!
fatbasher

« Reply #189 on: Saturday, December 8, 2012, 19:47:46 »

I have to say that reading the posts up to page 8 it did strike me that there were hardly any real mentions of Swindon pubs outside of the Glue Pot, Bee Hive, Wheatsheaf in OT.

I have been around the globe (the world that is) and I have drunk and gotten drunk in numerous places whose names escape me but for me this has to be about Swindon, which is a bit of a struggle sadly. The criteria to use is of course personal and in my case the ones I am about to mention have a special place in my soul mainly on a nostalgic basis.

The Harvester circa mid '80's
The Worthington late '70's
The Bell Old Town late '70's and '80's when Claude owned it
The Wheatsheaf Old Town Early '80's
The Fox and Hounds Green meadow '90's

Sadly these days my local is the barren and soulless Woodlands Edge, after the demise of the Foresters.
« Last Edit: Sunday, December 9, 2012, 08:05:38 by fatbasher » Logged
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #190 on: Saturday, December 8, 2012, 19:56:28 »

The woodlands edge is shit, but cheaply priced. The fox and hounds is still going, but a bit chavvy in one half, and cliquey in the other.

Things get better but they never get good
fatbasher

« Reply #191 on: Sunday, December 9, 2012, 08:04:34 »

The woodlands edge is shit, but cheaply priced. The fox and hounds is still going, but a bit chavvy in one half, and cliquey in the other.

I would not say the Wodlands Edge is cheap, certainly not the most expensive boozer in the town i would imagine. As for the Fox and Hounds it was no different back then.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #192 on: Sunday, December 9, 2012, 08:39:41 »

Anyone know if the Tap & Barrel still houses the Swindon Shamrock CSC (celtic supporters)? Their facebook page is locked and their website (literally) 10 years out of date.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #193 on: Sunday, December 9, 2012, 09:54:45 »

Not sure but i would guess yes...they always have the Celtic matches on in there.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #194 on: Sunday, December 9, 2012, 10:21:29 »

I have to say that reading the posts up to page 8 it did strike me that there were hardly any real mentions of Swindon pubs outside of the Glue Pot, Bee Hive, Wheatsheaf in OT.

I have been around the globe (the world that is) and I have drunk and gotten drunk in numerous places whose names escape me but for me this has to be about Swindon, which is a bit of a struggle sadly. The criteria to use is of course personal and in my case the ones I am about to mention have a special place in my soul mainly on a nostalgic basis.

The Harvester circa mid '80's
The Worthington late '70's
The Bell Old Town late '70's and '80's when Claude owned it
The Wheatsheaf Old Town Early '80's
The Fox and Hounds Green meadow '90's

Sadly these days my local is the barren and soulless Woodlands Edge, after the demise of the Foresters.

The proper classic Bell period, was late 60's early 70's....when the bar was upstairs. Downstairs was a steak and chips eaterie, proper sophisticated as the only other place where you could eat out in Swindon, aside from probably the Khyber, was The Crown at Stratton.  Blunsdon House had a tiny dining room, but that was pretty much in the sticks.

The downside, for I think Berni Inns, was that the unwashed hedonistic masses, had to have access to the downstairs, for entry and exit and maybe even bogs....which wasn't a good mix.

Turning it around, didn't help either, and the restaurant side flopped....Claude tried to remedy the situation by knocking the place about, and ripping out the stairs, which was done by a bunch of drinkers furnished with tools and some beer after closing time for a few nights.

I lived elsewhere, through most of the 70's but returned to Swindon at the end, so naturally thought give the Bell a go and it still retained a bit of its buzz...just right for starting the night, then falling into Vadims. By the start of the 80's, it started to get chavved up, and you could almost guarantee a fight....proper shame, as it lost its more chilled punters, who'd made it what it was. It never recovered.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15   Go Up
Print
Jump to: