Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Your Five Favourite Pubs  (Read 51035 times)
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #165 on: Monday, August 30, 2010, 16:18:54 »

Cafe Royal in Edinburgh is a cracker.  The Beehive in the Grassmarket is also excellent around that part of town.  If you fancy going upmarket then the Blue Bar is also lovely and if you want to risk a bit of a kicking then by all means try the Shakespeare. For afters then the Omar Khayam at Haymarket station and if you feel adventurous Hanam's Kurdish restaurant are also highly recommended.

The Beehive was pretty good, too, you're right.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
blah blah

Ignore
« Reply #166 on: Wednesday, September 19, 2012, 10:46:35 »

BUMP !

On Ardiles reccommendation on the other thread, I read through this, quite an interesting read

To add my twopenneth in no particular order

5 Bells, Wotton Bassett - a real old fashioned drinkers pub with excellent beers
The Thatch, Croyde, Devon - a surfers pub with an excellent atmosphere, good beers & ciders and excellent food
3 Crowns, Brinkworth - more of a foody place but excellent beer too. Not been there since it was taken over but heard its gone a bit downhill. Will have to try the Weighbridge soon to see if thats replaced it
Molly Malones, Helsinki - a bit of a Brits abroad place, but they do a decent pint of London Pride, good music, dirty women
The Angel, Wootton Bassett - was totally redone a year or 2 ago, now a nice place to go, bit quieter and more upmarket than the Bells

Have been in some really nice pubs around the country, including one on the banks of Loch Lomond at Christmas time with snow on the ground, but buggered if I can remember the name of it. Think I'd have to go back a couple of times for anything to make it to the top 5 though
DMR

« Reply #167 on: Wednesday, September 19, 2012, 10:56:40 »

1. Hare & Hounds, Devizes
2. One Eyed Dog, Portsmouth
3. Longs, Swindon
4. The Southgate, Devizes
5. Walkabout, Portsmouth

No 1 would have been The Reg in Pompey but in my last year at Yooni it got turned in to some cunty modern chain place and it's shit now.
wiggy
Whippet fancying, T-shirt flogging cunt

Whippet Fancier

Ignore
« Reply #168 on: Wednesday, September 19, 2012, 11:22:15 »

3. Longs, Swindon
5. Walkabout, Portsmouth

No 1 would have been The Reg in Pompey but in my last year at Yooni it got turned in to some cunty modern chain place and it's shit now.

The Hare and Hounds isn't anywhere near as good as it used to be. The British Lion in Devizes is much better.

Thank [insert deity of choice] for beer and peanuts
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #169 on: Wednesday, September 19, 2012, 11:24:24 »

Bring back the riser!
Joycie

Ignore
« Reply #170 on: Wednesday, September 19, 2012, 11:39:00 »

3. Longs, Swindon
5. Walkabout, Portsmouth

Hmmm
DMR

« Reply #171 on: Wednesday, September 19, 2012, 11:40:08 »

Yeh but Walkabout Saturdays were great, boozing all day watching the footy on 'our' table.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #172 on: Wednesday, September 19, 2012, 11:47:31 »

Do U frequent the silk mercer Dave?
DMR

« Reply #173 on: Wednesday, September 19, 2012, 12:42:24 »

Occassionally - have moved out of Dev now so not as frequently as before.
Fred Elliot
I REST MY FUCKING CASE

Ignore
« Reply #174 on: Wednesday, September 19, 2012, 13:03:07 »

You can take the boy out of Devizes .................
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #175 on: Wednesday, September 19, 2012, 14:08:08 »

You can take the boy out of Devizes .................

But ya cant take da vices outa da boi.  Too Cool

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #176 on: Friday, December 7, 2012, 23:39:35 »

6.  The Camel & Artichoke, Lower Marsh, Waterloo, London
Bit of a crap name for a pub, but still worth a visit.  Serves a decent pint (if you're OK wth Greene King).  Two floors, and within walking distance of Waterloo Station.  Not up to the same standard as the King's Arms (other direction from the station; my other Waterloo favourite...see first post in this thread) but still decent enough.  And on a really interesting street.  It's like stepping back in time.  Lots of independent food shops, clothes shops, pubs.  And without being pretentious.  See it now before the chains take over.  It will only take a year or two.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #177 on: Saturday, December 8, 2012, 08:24:39 »

Had a couple at the Radnor Arms in Coleshill near Higworth last night....do some nice ale as they have there own micro brewery at the pub.....lovely roaring log fire as well which always helps.

Nice old fashioned pub.
Panda Paws

« Reply #178 on: Saturday, December 8, 2012, 12:37:03 »

On this point, can anyone recommend a decent Sunday roast in Swindon and the surroundings? A nice country pub with decent ale would be ideal.

JanTheMan

Ignore
« Reply #179 on: Saturday, December 8, 2012, 12:48:06 »

6.  The Camel & Artichoke, Lower Marsh, Waterloo, London
Bit of a crap name for a pub, but still worth a visit.  Serves a decent pint (if you're OK wth Greene King).  Two floors, and within walking distance of Waterloo Station.  Not up to the same standard as the King's Arms (other direction from the station; my other Waterloo favourite...see first post in this thread) but still decent enough.  And on a really interesting street.  It's like stepping back in time.  Lots of independent food shops, clothes shops, pubs.  And without being pretentious.  See it now before the chains take over.  It will only take a year or two.

Good shout ossie. As you say it will only be a couple of years until that street looks more like the south bank. I think they call it cunty gentrification.

My fav boozer at the moment is The lamb in Surbiton. The lamb in marlborough is also a proper pub, as are quite a few of the drinking establishments off the high st.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15   Go Up
Print
Jump to: