Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 ... 55   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: greer  (Read 102150 times)
Don Rogers Shop

« Reply #105 on: Wednesday, June 9, 2010, 16:41:50 »

Yeah could you answer the question about not affording Paynters wages
albion3

« Reply #106 on: Wednesday, June 9, 2010, 16:43:38 »

Albion fan in actual peace, unlike the knob who came here to wind you lot up...

Personally I don't think we'll get Greer, its clear you lot rate him and although we're looking for an experience CB I doubt a divisional rival will want to sell, and Poyet/Bloom have said themselves they're not going to overpay, which is why Forster, Calderon etc were shown the door. Poyet's no mug and Bloom is a very shrewd businessman, they're not gonna piss money away on a 29yo by paying double his price because he's from a team we'll be rivals with next year.

For those of you wanting to know about Bloom- his family has been on the board for 3 generations, and he's a Brighton fan born and bred- and he sold a series of online poker and betting sites (after buying up Gala Bingo for £300m) and then got into luxury property all over the world. He's not Gaydamak and whilst he's by no means an Arab Sheikh, he's not going to walk out on the club. The interest free loans don't have to be paid back until 2023 and even then only when we're in profit, which will be steady with inital gates of 20,000+ falling to a regular gate of 12,000 (it may surprise you to know, away fans aren't the only ones who don't enjoy going to the withdean- we didn't ask for that shithole and with a new stadium you may be surprised how many fans come out of the woodwork). I think next year both you and us will be in the top 8 or so, and should be there or thereabouts. Unfortunately there are some deluded people who think automatic promotion is our divine right, which is bullshit, but I wouldn't bet against meeting each other in the play-offs (if you can hang onto key players like Austin/Greer etc).
woolster

« Reply #107 on: Wednesday, June 9, 2010, 16:47:11 »

Fill ya boots.

7 million already raked in.Then there's the general season ticket sales.Naming rights,catering,club shop,sponsors. Eek

Oh and those posh seats have now ALL GONE.

You keep understimating our fan base  Smug Fuck Off
all you need now is some men that can actually play football, and people to fill that souless looking ground, Smug Fuck Off
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: Wednesday, June 9, 2010, 16:48:56 »

Personally I don't think we'll get Greer, its clear you lot rate him and although we're looking for an experience CB I doubt a divisional rival will want to sell, and Poyet/Bloom have said themselves they're not going to overpay, which is why Forster, Calderon etc were shown the door. Poyet's no mug and Bloom is a very shrewd businessman, they're not gonna piss money away on a 29yo by paying double his price because he's from a team we'll be rivals with next year.

For those of you wanting to know about Bloom- his family has been on the board for 3 generations, and he's a Brighton fan born and bred- and he sold a series of online poker and betting sites (after buying up Gala Bingo for £300m) and then got into luxury property all over the world. He's not Gaydamak and whilst he's by no means an Arab Sheikh, he's not going to walk out on the club. The interest free loans don't have to be paid back until 2023 and even then only when we're in profit, which will be steady with inital gates of 20,000+ falling to a regular gate of 12,000 (it may surprise you to know, away fans aren't the only ones who don't enjoy going to the withdean- we didn't ask for that shithole and with a new stadium you may be surprised how many fans come out of the woodwork). I think next year both you and us will be in the top 8 or so, and should be there or thereabouts. Unfortunately there are some deluded people who think automatic promotion is our divine right, which is bullshit, but I wouldn't bet against meeting each other in the play-offs (if you can hang onto key players like Austin/Greer etc).

How dare you come on here and be reasonable.  How are we supposed to insult you if you're going to be all rational!

Never knowingly overstated.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #109 on: Wednesday, June 9, 2010, 16:49:51 »

Fill ya boots.

7 million already raked in.Then there's the general season ticket sales.Naming rights,catering,club shop,sponsors. Eek

Oh and those posh seats have now ALL GONE.

You keep understimating our fan base  Smug Fuck Off

Oh stop behaving like such a cunt.

We're fucking football fans, why do these irksome arguments about stadiums, attendances, season ticket sales, shirt sales etc. keep getting brought up? Guess what, the best football teams are good at errm, football. Neither of our clubs have performed particularly well in this respect (save one or two seasons) in the past decade. Neither of our teams is big, we were both on the brink of extinction at various points in our history - we shouldn't take the good times for granted.

If this is the pinacle of banter (goes for plenty of Swindon fans too) then I'm fucking ashamed. Let the football do the talking lads, Greer isn't going to fuck off to Brighton just because they're getting a shiny new stadium and all the fans inside are going to buy loads of food.
Ralphy

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: Wednesday, June 9, 2010, 16:50:27 »

You can't afford Greer anyway. It will be very interesting to see your gates when Falmer opens. I doubt 20k though. You're no Southampton.
daddylovestown

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: Wednesday, June 9, 2010, 16:56:43 »

I've been quite entertained by some of those tracksuit-wearing teenagers' 'conversations' on youtube over the years. This kid has been plucked from there and plonked here.

I dislike B&HA. Nothing to do with Virgo or the play-off defeat - they were just doing their jobs (albeit fucking luckily) - it's the attitude of their fans. Delusions of Grandeur is the perfect way to describe them. My brother lived down there for a decade or so, & consequently I spent a lot of time there (no, we're not 'nice-boys'). He got to know loads of Brighton fans & couldn't believe how they all think that they support this big, famous, well-supported club. It's an attitude that I also noticed being prominent amongst them. It's a nice town and a cool place to be for the younger generations, and I think it maybe goes to their heads?

Agree with a lot of your post - it's their delluded mockney big up attitude that gets right up my nose. After Rovers, Oxford & Millwall, they're probably the ones I hate the most, closely followed by anything welsh of course, including lamb.

So to the mockney twat that came here looking to stir shit (a frequent past time down that way I hear) "go kiss my clackersack mug"........on second thoughts.... No
albion3

« Reply #112 on: Wednesday, June 9, 2010, 16:58:21 »

You can't afford Greer anyway. It will be very interesting to see your gates when Falmer opens. I doubt 20k though. You're no Southampton.

We've been waiting for a stadium to call our own for 13 years. Its probably a safe bet the first few games will be 20k. It won't last long, don't get me wrong- the plastic fans will dwindle away (we took 30,000 to cardiff in 2004 for example) but the hardcore and the addition of the fans who hate the hassle withdean brings will see it settle around 12,000 I reckon. I won't be putting money on it but we're the only club in the county with no real local rivals so other than the usual Prem suspects there's not a huge amount of competition.

And it depends on how much you value him at, whether we can afford him. In normal circumstances a (key player) 29yo with 1 year left on his contract in the 3rd tier...you could expect to pay £200k-£300k maybe. We could afford that without a doubt. If you held out for £1m...then yes, we'd look elsewhere.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: Wednesday, June 9, 2010, 17:02:50 »

We've been waiting for a stadium to call our own for 13 years. Its probably a safe bet the first few games will be 20k. It won't last long, don't get me wrong- the plastic fans will dwindle away (we took 30,000 to cardiff in 2004 for example) but the hardcore and the addition of the fans who hate the hassle withdean brings will see it settle around 12,000 I reckon. I won't be putting money on it but we're the only club in the county with no real local rivals so other than the usual Prem suspects there's not a huge amount of competition.

And it depends on how much you value him at, whether we can afford him. In normal circumstances a (key player) 29yo with 1 year left on his contract in the 3rd tier...you could expect to pay £200k-£300k maybe. We could afford that without a doubt. If you held out for £1m...then yes, we'd look elsewhere.

If you wanted to pay 200-300K for a veteran centre back with a dodgy injury record he'd be yours...no doubt, especially if his money was increased.
Ralphy

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: Wednesday, June 9, 2010, 17:04:04 »

I was refering to his wages.

According to this article posted by DRS, Poyet says you have a strict wage cap....

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/8180955.Albion_can_t_afford_proven_goal_getter/

You couldn't afford to match the wages Paynter was on here so do you think you could match or better the wages Greer is on???
Barry Scott

« Reply #115 on: Wednesday, June 9, 2010, 17:11:00 »

Oh stop behaving like such a cunt.

We're fucking football fans, why do these irksome arguments about stadiums, attendances, season ticket sales, shirt sales etc. keep getting brought up? Guess what, the best football teams are good at errm, football. Neither of our clubs have performed particularly well in this respect (save one or two seasons) in the past decade. Neither of our teams is big, we were both on the brink of extinction at various points in our history - we shouldn't take the good times for granted.

If this is the pinacle of banter (goes for plenty of Swindon fans too) then I'm fucking ashamed. Let the football do the talking lads, Greer isn't going to fuck off to Brighton just because they're getting a shiny new stadium and all the fans inside are going to buy loads of food.

Good post. I also feel thoroughly put in my place now.
albion3

« Reply #116 on: Wednesday, June 9, 2010, 17:12:10 »

You couldn't afford to match the wages Paynter was on here so do you think you could match or better the wages Greer is on???

I never said I thought we'd get him. I'm just saying you seem to have the idea that because we play in a shit ground we've got tuppence to spend. There's a difference between a wage cap and having no money at all. Whilst Paynter would've been up there amongst the top 10 or so wages in the division, I suspect Greer will not be on the same packet. Do I think he'd come? Probably not, unless he'd fallen out with the management. We're similar size clubs with similar prospects so- why move? Could we afford him if he wanted to come? I would say yes, based on what we were reportedly paying some players last year. I'm guessing you think no?
Rich Pullen

« Reply #117 on: Wednesday, June 9, 2010, 17:18:58 »

Every Town player has a price... I would still be very surprised I this happened.
Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: Wednesday, June 9, 2010, 17:20:18 »

I never said I thought we'd get him. I'm just saying you seem to have the idea that because we play in a shit ground we've got tuppence to spend. There's a difference between a wage cap and having no money at all. Whilst Paynter would've been up there amongst the top 10 or so wages in the division, I suspect Greer will not be on the same packet. Do I think he'd come? Probably not, unless he'd fallen out with the management. We're similar size clubs with similar prospects so- why move? Could we afford him if he wanted to come? I would say yes, based on what we were reportedly paying some players last year. I'm guessing you think no?
No chance.
Ralphy

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: Wednesday, June 9, 2010, 17:21:54 »

There's a difference between a wage cap and having no money at all.

Agreed. Perhaps you could remind your friend 'SE1 Seagull' of this.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 ... 55   Go Up
Print
Jump to: