Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Lets Look Forward  (Read 10728 times)
The_Plagiarist

« Reply #90 on: Monday, May 31, 2010, 22:10:21 »

I don't think any professional footballers have loyalty really, not other than in the sense that they're loyal to their employers. Other than that it is a job, admittedly one of the best jobs in the world, but its a job at the end of the day.

I don't see players as money grabbing cunts, other then Mooney when he joined the yellow filth for instance, that was just embarrassing that he'd take such a step backwards for money.

If Paynter is out of contract with us, he has no loyalty to us until he agrees another contract with us in my view. It could go the other way, what if he'd have broken his leg on saturday, should we be showing him loyalty and offering him a new 3/4 year deal?

that is probably a rubbish analogy but I think the point is a valid one.
Talk Talk

« Reply #91 on: Monday, May 31, 2010, 22:13:59 »

I know, I know.

I guess it is the difference between how we feel as supporters about 'the shirt' and the guys who actually pull them over their heads on match day.

Even the mighty Don went to Palace I suppose.

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: Monday, May 31, 2010, 22:16:09 »

we all know players aint loyal to the clubs they play for,but paynter needs to look at where he has been,and where he is now.
he was sat on the benches of worse sides than ours not so long ago.he'll be on good money here.
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: Monday, May 31, 2010, 22:19:29 »

It all depends who is interested in him really. Who says it's Leeds that are after him? Could be a number of Championship clubs sniffing around. Tbh he's been superb for us in the last 2 years so if he goes I won't be annoyed that he wants to test himself at a higher level. That said i'd be dissapointed if he went to another L1 club.
Barry Scott

« Reply #94 on: Monday, May 31, 2010, 22:19:50 »

The shelf life of a footballer is tiny. They have to make as much money as they can in a job which lasts half as long as a regular job. If i was a footballer, i'd have zero loyalty, i'd be a mercenary cunt chasing the fast buck.

If he gets a better offer on a 2 or 3 year contract he'd be stupid not to leave. Sure there's the desire to better yourself professionally and show loyalty to a current employer, but if he leaves and has 3 shit seasons, it'd be better for him to have those shit seasons on a higher wage. He'd still get a move back to our level again in X years time if he moves the CCC and doesn't cut it, where as if he stays here and doesn't cut it, his wage would only decrease.

I'm probably just speaking bollocks though. Smiley
Doore

« Reply #95 on: Monday, May 31, 2010, 22:30:31 »

The shelf life of a footballer is tiny. They have to make as much money as they can in a job which lasts half as long as a regular job. If i was a footballer, i'd have zero loyalty, i'd be a mercenary cunt chasing the fast buck.

If he gets a better offer on a 2 or 3 year contract he'd be stupid not to leave. Sure there's the desire to better yourself professionally and show loyalty to a current employer, but if he leaves and has 3 shit seasons, it'd be better for him to have those shit seasons on a higher wage. He'd still get a move back to our level again in X years time if he moves the CCC and doesn't cut it, where as if he stays here and doesn't cut it, his wage would only decrease.

You're not speaking bollocks, you are completely right.
Talk Talk

« Reply #96 on: Monday, May 31, 2010, 22:57:29 »

Playing Devil's advocate, why is that any different from those of us who have to work for 50 years? Or indeed, why do you assume that they will retire after their football career is over? Do they become unemployable? Can they not use the humungous amount of money they have earned in ten, twenty years to set up their own business? Do their brains and limbs pack up because they have donated them to the footballing gods?

Playing Devil's advocate...  Smiley
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: Monday, May 31, 2010, 23:54:55 »

Even the mighty Don went to Palace I suppose.

Back in the day, there was no freedom of contract....Liverpool wanted the man, the club didn't want to sell, so that was it....in 72 gates were down to 10,000, so we did want to sell, so that was it.
berswin

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: Tuesday, June 1, 2010, 08:23:35 »

I hope Paynter stays.  We've got too many examples of stikers who leaves after one or two good seasons and we have to search for new stikers who normally needs one season to blossom. 

The reason for selling has been mainly due to financial problems, but as it seems this is under control now, I hope the board can offer him a contract he'll sign.  The other teams in League One or two will probably demand a redicoulus high price for their strikers if willing to sell.  Austin is a good example that there is talents in lower divisions, but there aren't many of them.

Norwegian Swindon supporter since 1989
Barry Scott

« Reply #99 on: Tuesday, June 1, 2010, 10:38:40 »

Playing Devil's advocate, why is that any different from those of us who have to work for 50 years? Or indeed, why do you assume that they will retire after their football career is over? Do they become unemployable? Can they not use the humungous amount of money they have earned in ten, twenty years to set up their own business? Do their brains and limbs pack up because they have donated them to the footballing gods?

Playing Devil's advocate...  Smiley

No, but footballers by their very nature are more concentrated on football throughout school. (I have a friend who was pro.) Therefore once their career is over, they're not the sharpest knife short of a picnic.
Doore

« Reply #100 on: Tuesday, June 1, 2010, 10:42:14 »

No, but footballers by their very nature are more concentrated on football throughout school. (I have a friend who was pro.) Therefore once their career is over, they're not the sharpest knife short of a picnic.

Who is your pro friend Barry?
Barry Scott

« Reply #101 on: Tuesday, June 1, 2010, 10:54:57 »

Who is your pro friend Barry?

To clarify, he's an ex-pro Billy, Paul Steele. He retired at 20 or so due to knee injury. Played for Yeovil and Woking and was at Chippenham and Liverpool prior to that. He would've gone far. It was easier for him than it would be for most as he's a bright lad. He also retired at an age when getting a job would be pretty easy. But having gone through school with him, i can see how being gifted at Football, along with being very young, made education seem pointless.
Doore

« Reply #102 on: Tuesday, June 1, 2010, 10:56:13 »

To clarify, he's an ex-pro Billy, Paul Steele. He retired at 20 or so due to knee injury. Played for Yeovil and Woking and was at Chippenham and Liverpool prior to that. He would've gone far. It was easier for him than it would be for most as he's a bright lad. He also retired at an age when getting a job would be pretty easy. But having gone through school with him, i can see how being gifted at Football, along with being very young, made education seem pointless.

I see - cheers.

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: Tuesday, June 1, 2010, 10:56:44 »

it aint like that nowadays barry.budding footballers are forced to focus on education aswell as football
Barry Scott

« Reply #104 on: Tuesday, June 1, 2010, 11:02:45 »

it aint like that nowadays barry.budding footballers are forced to focus on education aswell as football

And that's exactly how it should be. Getting back on track though, Paynter will likely be of the old skool variety, which in turn means, this side of mixing with pauld and getting into the car-stereo and sat-nav acquisition business, prospects aren't gonna be everywhere at retirement.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: