Pages: 1 ... 1683 1684 1685 [1686] 1687 1688 1689 ... 1931   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: trivial things that make you smile,or make you feel good  (Read 4517705 times)
Cookie

Ignore
« Reply #25275 on: Friday, March 26, 2021, 11:28:29 »

Curry's business was good for me when I was after a graphics card before Christmas because I'm not sure if the scalper bots work for it i.e. I was 5 minutes after stock alert and still bagged a card.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #25276 on: Friday, March 26, 2021, 11:37:16 »

Curry's business was good for me when I was after a graphics card before Christmas because I'm not sure if the scalper bots work for it i.e. I was 5 minutes after stock alert and still bagged a card.
Scalpers do my fucking head in, I am desperate for a new 3070 or 3080 and had the money ready to go but stock never even arrived at any of my usual resellers so am still waiting.

That said if I could grab one my 3 year old GPU is still worth £500 trade in, but there lies the problem, supply/demand.

I have turned down making 5 high end (£2,000 to £3,000) PC build commissions already this year as I can't even get hold of basic graphics cards let alone high end gaming ones.

Thanks cryptocurrency miners.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #25277 on: Friday, March 26, 2021, 19:56:59 »

Crispy duck, tung thong and green curry, plus half a bottle of port  Eat
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #25278 on: Saturday, March 27, 2021, 18:01:24 »

Oddly this belongs in this thread.

Our house got a direct hit from a Tornado Thursday night/Friday morning - luckily we have a basement with a concrete back, so we were well protected.  On venturing out afterwards our house is missing most of one sides cladding and a bit on the other side, plus we had a nice new tree ornament in our garden.  Our next door neighbour was not so lucky with the house, they had two new trees in their bedroom.

Here is the why this belongs here - the neighbours have only been here for 6 months, moving from S Korea and didn't know what the siren meant.  They were still in bed 5 minutes before it hit but the house opposite us called them to ask if they could hunker in their basement - they panicked them sufficiently for all of them to scramble into the basement.  If they hadn't had that call we'd have been helping arrange funerals rather than tree removal gangs.

Slightly funny (although I think it may be too soon to joke with them), the husband then decided to check out the damage in the attic and promptly fell through the ceiling and had to go to A&E.  He's OK.

Mother nature is a beast.
« Last Edit: Saturday, March 27, 2021, 18:24:38 by RobertT » Logged
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #25279 on: Saturday, March 27, 2021, 18:31:17 »

Glad you’re ok and sounds like you’re relatively unscathed. Tornados fascinate me and freak me the fuck out in equal measures. Sometimes I’m glad to live in a country with relatively boring weather

Things get better but they never get good
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #25280 on: Saturday, March 27, 2021, 18:40:41 »

Yep, the damage to our house is easily fixed and mostly covered by insurance.  Some houses a mile or so West of us were not so lucky, and a High School looks like it will probably have to be demolished.  I've been in the eye of a Hurricane before and the winds from the eye wall were quite impressive, but the Tornado certainly had me worried for a bit that our house might vanish from above us.  Our drain pipes ended up across the road a few inches from their front windows.  The bigger of the two trees that landed in the neighbours house was probably 100 ft tall - went through 3 floors and it was the top two thirds that simply snapped off, it must be two feet wide but snapped like a twig.

https://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/ef-4-tornado-damages-homes-buildings-and-a-high-school-in-newnan
« Last Edit: Saturday, March 27, 2021, 18:46:18 by RobertT » Logged
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #25281 on: Saturday, March 27, 2021, 19:07:49 »

blimey.

I'd love to see a tornado, but from a distance.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #25282 on: Saturday, March 27, 2021, 19:09:29 »

Glad you are ok.  Makes it even more bizarre that US houses are still predominatly built out of wood as well.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #25283 on: Saturday, March 27, 2021, 20:21:45 »

Oddly this belongs in this thread.

Our house got a direct hit from a Tornado Thursday night/Friday morning - luckily we have a basement with a concrete back, so we were well protected.  On venturing out afterwards our house is missing most of one sides cladding and a bit on the other side, plus we had a nice new tree ornament in our garden.  Our next door neighbour was not so lucky with the house, they had two new trees in their bedroom.

Here is the why this belongs here - the neighbours have only been here for 6 months, moving from S Korea and didn't know what the siren meant.  They were still in bed 5 minutes before it hit but the house opposite us called them to ask if they could hunker in their basement - they panicked them sufficiently for all of them to scramble into the basement.  If they hadn't had that call we'd have been helping arrange funerals rather than tree removal gangs.

Slightly funny (although I think it may be too soon to joke with them), the husband then decided to check out the damage in the attic and promptly fell through the ceiling and had to go to A&E.  He's OK.

Mother nature is a beast.

Fuck me side ways. Hope everyone in the hood is ok.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #25284 on: Saturday, March 27, 2021, 22:57:48 »

'kin 'ell Rob, not sure I'd be quite so sanguine about it, but glad to hear you and family are unscathed
Flashheart

« Reply #25285 on: Sunday, March 28, 2021, 00:49:22 »

Must have been quite an experience. One of those things you can proudly say 'done that', even if you would rather you hadn't.

Glad you're OK.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #25286 on: Sunday, March 28, 2021, 01:47:34 »

Glad you are ok.  Makes it even more bizarre that US houses are still predominantly built out of wood as well.

I'm not 100% on this but I'm sure a friend in FL told me that a few of the reasons are because:

a) It's cheap and quicker to rebuild with wood products.

b) It's much less hazardous as flying debris. Clad can break up into smaller pieces, yet brick doesn't so easily, which could mean much more deadly and larger lumps of brick flying about.

c) I think the other one they said about was actually to do with building regs/code aren't that strong so they aren't required to build stronger houses.

I guess, take into account if every house has a basement as standard and the wood can be replaced on the foundations then so long as you hunker down, and pack away your most important items (I understand the warnings are generally well advanced) then it's probably just a well drilled system that works. Can see the absolute logic behind the question though Berni, you'd think they would take a "build once" approach like they tend to for places in earthquake zones?! Then again, I guess tornado/hurricane zones likely cover a larger area so maybe it would be a huge cost to "make permanently safe" those areas?

As others have said, glad you're safe RobT. I know my friends favourite pastime is to have a "hurricane party", essentially stocking up on a few indulgent goods pre wind and head down to the basement for a few days Smiley Suppose if you have a pool table/console/loadsa movies and a ton of drinks and snacks then it'd be relatively comforting to know everything is "safe" apart from the obvious structural inconvenience Smiley

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #25287 on: Sunday, March 28, 2021, 09:08:19 »

https://twitter.com/KRTN_Will/status/1375940368206868484
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #25288 on: Sunday, March 28, 2021, 11:07:38 »

Brilliant. I also like the "Social Media In Real Life" type vids. Where they show the visual act of blocking someone, commenting and so on as an every day in person task. It shows up how silly our evolution would actually look if it weren't confined to a digital state Smiley

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Chunkyhair

Ignore
« Reply #25289 on: Sunday, March 28, 2021, 17:21:52 »

I bought a deactivated 1942 Lee Enfield No.4 on Friday with full mag of inert .303, pig sticker bayonet and scabbard, and a 5 round charger clip.

Wife unhappy/bemused, me quietly happy channeling my inner Corporal Jones - "they don't like it up 'em!"
« Last Edit: Sunday, March 28, 2021, 23:51:24 by Chunkyhair » Logged

No one kills a thread like me....
Pages: 1 ... 1683 1684 1685 [1686] 1687 1688 1689 ... 1931   Go Up
Print
Jump to: