Pages: 1 ... 1616 1617 1618 [1619] 1620 1621 1622 ... 1931   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: trivial things that make you smile,or make you feel good  (Read 4520127 times)
Barry Scott

« Reply #24270 on: Monday, September 14, 2020, 20:45:12 »

Good luck.

But fuck that.

Thanks

If I skip breakfast I can barely handle the hunger, but 4 days? Fuckin' hell. Keep us updated!

I will be. I'm interested to see how much it hurts.

What will you struggle most with?

Not sure. Probably my temper! Teenager who eats his own weight in food and the missus who is a great cook won't help, but that just makes it more satsfying.

This is something I've been meaning to do for a while. I mostly do a 16:8 daily intermittent fast (i.e. skip breakfast as it used to be known). Have you done any smaller 24 or 48 hour fasts in the past, or just going straight in at 4 days?

I've done 24 or 36 hour fast many times. And I've done a single 48/60 hour fast. I'm quite a regular faster, so I'm prone to doing 5:2 or 4:3 and combining them with something like 16:8 or 18:6.

I quite enjoy the experience (mental challenge), but having not done any fasting at al in the last 3 weeks I felt like trying something that would be a bit tough. I'm pretty excited truth be told, just aware I'm a glutton in a house with good food and an annoying teen.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #24271 on: Monday, September 14, 2020, 20:55:39 »

...a house with good food and an annoying teen.

You mean a teen that will basically tease the fuck out of you and be like "Dad, look what I've got", whilst you resist the urge to him a clip around the lugs  

Edit: Enjoy by the way. I can fast but never as long as that and I really don't need to. Trying to concentrate on weight/muscle gain more than anything.
« Last Edit: Monday, September 14, 2020, 20:57:39 by bamboonoshop » Logged

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #24272 on: Tuesday, September 15, 2020, 04:45:48 »

Maybe a stupid question, but do you actually lose weight by fasting? I’ve tried numerous times but never got anywhere.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #24273 on: Tuesday, September 15, 2020, 05:56:11 »

Losing weight is not always the point. Fasting can be an effective way of maintaining a caloric deficit, which leads to weight loss, but there are many other benefits on things like mood, sleep, insulin resistance, inflammation in the body etc.
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #24274 on: Tuesday, September 15, 2020, 06:13:56 »

I'll have to give it a go. I think I could manage during the week whilst at work. Drink loads of water. Am I allowed to drink tea/coffee?

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #24275 on: Tuesday, September 15, 2020, 06:16:08 »

I don't think fasting is the right way to lose weight myself. Short term fix to a long term problem.

don't go on a diet, change your diet

trick is finding something you can  keep sustainable and not reverting
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #24276 on: Tuesday, September 15, 2020, 06:19:05 »

I'll have to give it a go. I think I could manage during the week whilst at work. Drink loads of water. Am I allowed to drink tea/coffee?

I'm sure that's OK as long as you don't add sugar.

I occasionally do the 16:8 fast. It's pretty easy to do but as i'm used to having breakfast I do struggle in the morning sometimes.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #24277 on: Tuesday, September 15, 2020, 06:25:40 »

A good healthy regular diet is the best thing for you. Moderation.
Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #24278 on: Tuesday, September 15, 2020, 06:46:02 »

Am I allowed to drink tea/coffee?

Black, yes.
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #24279 on: Tuesday, September 15, 2020, 06:49:02 »

Losing weight is not always the point. Fasting can be an effective way of maintaining a caloric deficit, which leads to weight loss, but there are many other benefits on things like mood, sleep, insulin resistance, inflammation in the body etc.

Out of interest Sam, how does it benefit mood and sleep? I can’t imagine me being a nice person to be around if I hadn’t eaten for 2/3 days.
Barry Scott

« Reply #24280 on: Tuesday, September 15, 2020, 07:36:43 »

You mean a teen that will basically tease the fuck out of you and be like "Dad, look what I've got", whilst you resist the urge to him a clip around the lugs 

Edit: Enjoy by the way. I can fast but never as long as that and I really don't need to. Trying to concentrate on weight/muscle gain more than anything.

He wouldn't do that as he'd be too busy stuffing it down his own throat. What'd annoy me is it tests your tolerance levels. I get very short and snappy and he's an insanely messy little cunt. He can walk a few metres with a coffee and he's so busy on Facetime or TikTok that the cup is half empty by the time he reaches his destination. Makes me seethe!

Thanks, I'll try to enjoy it.
Barry Scott

« Reply #24281 on: Tuesday, September 15, 2020, 07:37:59 »

Maybe a stupid question, but do you actually lose weight by fasting? I’ve tried numerous times but never got anywhere.

I'll lose weight, but it'll only work out as a pound or so once the dust has settled. The body takes about 2 days to go into Ketosis (when fasting on liquids) and then it supposedly gets easier. Most weight loss is water up until then and after it's pure fat, but very little in real terms. I've not really struggled with 2 days too badly, so I'm hoping to find the final 2 easier than the first 2.

And like Samdy says below your post, it's not necessarily for weight loss. I enjoy it as a challenge and, as I do have to keep a handle on my weight, I see it as a nice kick start to a healthier eating plan as well.
Barry Scott

« Reply #24282 on: Tuesday, September 15, 2020, 07:57:48 »

I don't think fasting is the right way to lose weight myself. Short term fix to a long term problem.

don't go on a diet, change your diet

trick is finding something you can  keep sustainable and not reverting

Modern science has shown that the old thinking of quick loss, quick gain etc as a myth and the reverse is true. In studies it's shown that the feel good factor of fast weight loss makes it more sustainable, then once the weight is off, the myth of the body being in starvation and ready to store everything as fat is also apparently untrue.

Like anything though there are arguments on both sides and we all have to do what works for us. As you say we have to change our diet for the long term. As I've read, the trouble with dietary goals (psychologically) is when we reach them, the sacrifice we've made to get there can end and we revert to type and gorge.

Hard work (mentally) is the only real sure fire victory in my opinion. Be conscious of what you eat, be aware of the what it contains and don't gorge too much, too often.

For me intermittent fasting is a breeze and I can sustain it with ease for very long periods. There's benefits with fasting that I love as well. I've always felt healthier and fitter than ever on fasting diets. I lost 6 stone with traditional dieting and that was a couple of hateful slogs (again as you elude to).

Jesus, I sound like a vegan... 
Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #24283 on: Tuesday, September 15, 2020, 09:11:35 »

Out of interest Sam, how does it benefit mood and sleep? I can’t imagine me being a nice person to be around if I hadn’t eaten for 2/3 days.

By stabilising blood sugar levels, mostly. Not being a nice person after fasting for 3 days is probably more psychological than it is physiological.
Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #24284 on: Tuesday, September 15, 2020, 09:17:33 »

There's a lot of emerging science around fasting and longevity (of life) too. You can read up about autophagy, anti-aging and the potential for cancer suppression if you really want to get into the weeds.
Pages: 1 ... 1616 1617 1618 [1619] 1620 1621 1622 ... 1931   Go Up
Print
Jump to: