Pages: 1 ... 326 327 328 [329] 330 331 332 ... 1933   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: trivial things that make you smile,or make you feel good  (Read 4547884 times)
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #4920 on: Saturday, March 10, 2012, 08:17:49 »

I'll put it on here in case people chip in with any tips.

We are keeping the planning purposefully 'organic'. So we've got a rough route and stops planned and an idea of what we'd like to see/do. But nothing apart from the cars booked, though we'll definitely book our New York hostel and probably a Vegas hotel before leaving. We have just over a month to get from NY to Vegas, and then 3/4 weeks of exploring the West Coast up to San Fran.

Return flights were about £700, cars about £850 each for the whole time. The total cost depends on how lavish we get and how many extra things we want to do (I'm bungee jumping the Grand Canyon for instance), but I think it will be at least four grand, maybe six.

Our route at the moment goes like this:

NY > Philadelphia > DC > Roanoke > Knoxville > Nashville > Birmingham > New Orleans > Houston > Austin > El Paso > Albuquerque > Grand Canyon > Vegas > San Diego > LA > San Fran

Tips on where to go/what to do are welcome.

I am very jealous.  You're going to have a ball.

Bizarrely, the one place on there that fascinates me the most is Houston.  It looks so impossibly vast and planned when you look at it on a map.  But the reality on the ground, I hear, is that it's a byword for American car-generated urban sprawl, and mid/late 20th century planning failure.  I'd want to go and see for myself though.
jutty274

Ignore
« Reply #4921 on: Saturday, March 10, 2012, 08:30:00 »

I'll put it on here in case people chip in with any tips.

Our route at the moment goes like this:

NY > Philadelphia > DC > Roanoke > Knoxville > Nashville > Birmingham > New Orleans > Houston > Austin > El Paso > Albuquerque > Grand Canyon > Vegas > San Diego > LA > San Fran

Tips on where to go/what to do are welcome.
You can always go to the bullring shopping mall while you are in Birmingham, i must admit it is a long way out of your way.
axs
naaarrrrrppppp

Ignore
« Reply #4922 on: Saturday, March 10, 2012, 08:41:55 »

Do the helicopter tour of the grand canyon, amazing. Would also recommend yosemite for a couple of days. Hoover dam is a two hour visit, nothing more to see there.Also, have fun with the mustang's shocking auto gearbox.
nochee

« Reply #4923 on: Saturday, March 10, 2012, 09:14:56 »

Book your Alcatraz visit in advance, it can be a pain in the ass to get tickets on the day.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #4924 on: Saturday, March 10, 2012, 09:48:24 »

I did the helicopter over hoover dam and grand canyon. Definitely worth doing.

We drove from San Diego up to San Fran, mainly up the coast. The LA part was horrible but I really liked San Francisco.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #4925 on: Saturday, March 10, 2012, 09:52:10 »

I did the helicopter over hoover dam and grand canyon. Definitely worth doing.

We drove from San Diego up to San Fran, mainly up the coast. The LA part was horrible but I really liked San Francisco.

You trying to tell us something Bob :gay:
Only Me

Ignore
« Reply #4926 on: Saturday, March 10, 2012, 09:54:54 »

Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #4927 on: Saturday, March 10, 2012, 09:55:53 »

um, not that I am aware of?

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #4928 on: Saturday, March 10, 2012, 09:57:09 »

You should go to Compton LA.

Beautiful place.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #4929 on: Saturday, March 10, 2012, 09:57:26 »

Was only kidding Bobs,to be honest i am jealous....would love to go there one day myself.
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #4930 on: Saturday, March 10, 2012, 09:59:18 »

Was only kidding Bobs,to be honest i am jealous....would love to go there one day myself.

Is San Fran the Brighton of the US? I genuinely wasn't aware.

leefer

Ignore
« Reply #4931 on: Saturday, March 10, 2012, 10:05:50 »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Francisco

If you look under demographics on this link it explains though like Brighton it is obviously exagerated.
jutty274

Ignore
« Reply #4932 on: Saturday, March 10, 2012, 10:35:02 »

You should try the X Scream ride on top of one of the hotels in Vegas it looks mental.

Or the other one on the same hotel-Stratosphere

oxford_fan

Ignore
« Reply #4933 on: Saturday, March 10, 2012, 10:54:49 »

Sports fixtures are definitely on the agenda, we'd like to get to one each of baseball/NFL/ice hockey/basketball etc. if the season allows it.

Knoville/Birmingham/Houston/El Paso are just stop-offs en route that we are looking to avoid if possible. Austin is meant to be pretty good from what I've heard though, Nomoreheroes. Any ideas of places we could go instead? You seem to know your stuff.
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #4934 on: Saturday, March 10, 2012, 10:57:33 »

You should try the X Scream ride on top of one of the hotels in Vegas it looks mental.

Or the other one on the same hotel-Stratosphere

Stayed there when I went to Vegas.  Went up to look at those rides but no way was I going on one.
Pages: 1 ... 326 327 328 [329] 330 331 332 ... 1933   Go Up
Print
Jump to: