Pages: 1 ... 1680 1681 1682 [1683] 1684 1685 1686 ... 1933   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: trivial things that make you smile,or make you feel good  (Read 4601409 times)
Flashheart

« Reply #25230 on: Monday, March 22, 2021, 12:32:53 »

The fact that its a government conspiracy to ban people from protesting about stuff that the government dont want them to protest about.

I think you need to get familiar with what's going on before you go wading in. None of what has been said in this thread is exaggerated or sensationalized in any way. It's just been laid bare as it is. The government are literally trying to pass a bill that effectively bans 'noisy' protests. This then gives them/the police the power to close down protests and imprison people (up to 10 years) for protesting.

That's just a fact and if you don't see why people have a problem with that then I just don't know what to say to you. Even if it's not the government's intention to ban protests they don't like it's still a very dangerous law to pass.

Even Teresa May doesn't like it FFS!

https://www.indy100.com/news/theresa-may-policing-bill-priti-patel-protest-b1817789
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #25231 on: Monday, March 22, 2021, 12:41:20 »

I have seen many saying it only kicked off when the Police arrived. It was a fucking police station ffs
Ha ha that's quite special Smiley
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #25232 on: Monday, March 22, 2021, 12:59:05 »

you have MPs who don't want that sort of thing in parliament Square (Davis Amess)

https://twitter.com/IanDunt/status/1371872372874182661?s=19
Flashheart

« Reply #25233 on: Monday, March 22, 2021, 13:07:22 »

you have MPs who don't want that sort of thing in parliament Square (Davis Amess)

https://twitter.com/IanDunt/status/1371872372874182661?s=19

An actual example of an MP literally saying he wants to use the law to stop people protesting?

Dunt's just being sensationalist!
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #25234 on: Monday, March 22, 2021, 13:21:31 »

I think you need to get familiar with what's going on before you go wading in. None of what has been said in this thread is exaggerated or sensationalized in any way. It's just been laid bare as it is. The government are literally trying to pass a bill that effectively bans 'noisy' protests. This then gives them/the police the power to close down protests and imprison people (up to 10 years) for protesting.

That's just a fact and if you don't see why people have a problem with that then I just don't know what to say to you. Even if it's not the government's intention to ban protests they don't like it's still a very dangerous law to pass.

https://www.indy100.com/news/theresa-may-policing-bill-priti-patel-protest-b1817789

A useful summary https://davidallengreen.com/2021/03/the-proposed-new-clause-59-offence-of-intentionally-or-recklessly-causing-public-nuisance/

As for Theresa sodding May, she might not like it but despite speaking quite forcefully about the damage, she still voted in favour of it.....

I have seen many saying it only kicked off when the Police arrived. It was a fucking police station ffs

To emphasise not defending it as it was a bloody stupid load of bollocks, but its being suggested that it kicked off outside the nick after the police waded in with the battens at the original protest?
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #25235 on: Monday, March 22, 2021, 16:57:07 »

It's the continued "divide and conquer" model that has seen many a government retain power worldwide. Power that is, not leadership.

I seem to recall another Tory government that used division tactics between the much of the working class public and police force. It worked. They (police & public) continued to play a game of "blame tennis" with each other, whilst Thatcher & Co got the port and cigars out.

They're doing it again. Pick a service, any service. Same game, just a slightly different skin over it.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #25236 on: Monday, March 22, 2021, 18:27:02 »

What I do know is that bills have multiple readings where they are discussed, amended, voted on or sometimes withdrawn.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
flammableBen

Ignore
« Reply #25237 on: Monday, March 22, 2021, 18:54:35 »

What I do know is that bills have multiple readings where they are discussed, amended, voted on or sometimes withdrawn.

So it's important for the public to show their disagreement to the bill through protest whilst they can?
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #25238 on: Monday, March 22, 2021, 19:13:30 »

They do. This bill has passed it's second reading and has gone to the committee stage which is where amendments can be made, usually with the govt's consent. Once it comes back from the committee stage, it will have a third reading. During the debate on the 3rd reading, the govt may choose to accept some additional amendments (but usually don't) and the opposition can try to force a vote on their own amendments. Given the parliamentary arithmetic the latter is highly unlikely. Then a yes/no vote is taken on the bill as a whole and it becomes law. So if you wish to retain the right to protest now is the time to make your feelings known - even if you're not in the habit of protesting, you may find you want or need to in the future or that you or your family benefit from someone else being able to. I'd suggest writing to your MP is a good start.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #25239 on: Tuesday, March 23, 2021, 10:44:21 »

Setting aside the football side of this, it makes me smile that parents chose to call their sons Ronaldo and Rivaldo Brown.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56458257
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #25240 on: Tuesday, March 23, 2021, 17:03:58 »

did you see the 'flying boat' pictured just of Cornwall.

a 'superior mirage' is what you are taking about

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-56286719

And just two weeks later, I spot one myself    Grin

* FloatyBoatyEyeFuckery.jpg (718.58 KB, 3599x2699 - viewed 113 times.)

'Incessant Nonsense'

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #25241 on: Tuesday, March 23, 2021, 17:46:11 »

ooooh, cool.

if I hadn't read about them and just saw that I'd freak out
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #25242 on: Tuesday, March 23, 2021, 18:11:21 »

ooooh, cool.

if I hadn't read about them and just saw that I'd freak out

Yeah man I was out on a c10 mile walk, making my back towards home (heading to the spire on the right (I'm now Abbott Bamboo Wink ) and saw this 'Brigadoon' event. Still pretty quirky to view irl though.

This was zoomed in on my phone but I wish I'd had my camera and "big boy" with me.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, March 23, 2021, 18:46:19 by bamboonoclue » Logged

'Incessant Nonsense'

Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #25243 on: Tuesday, March 23, 2021, 18:12:59 »

Yeah man I was out on a c10 mile walk, making my back towards home (heading to the spire on the right (I'm now Abbit Bamboo Wink ) and saw this 'Brigadoon' event. Still pretty quirky to view irl though.

This was zoomed in on my phone but I wish I'd had my camera and "big boy" with me.

That's a stunning pic Kevin and looks s lovely place to live

So, give no fucks
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #25244 on: Tuesday, March 23, 2021, 18:53:50 »

That's a stunning pic Kevin and looks s lovely place to live

Cheers JQ. I should have cropped a bit off the top of the image though, some nice "thirds" going on there.

'Incessant Nonsense'

Pages: 1 ... 1680 1681 1682 [1683] 1684 1685 1686 ... 1933   Go Up
Print
Jump to: