Pages: 1 ... 1679 1680 1681 [1682] 1683 1684 1685 ... 1933   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: trivial things that make you smile,or make you feel good  (Read 4552250 times)
Shrivvy Road

« Reply #25215 on: Monday, March 22, 2021, 10:14:43 »

It's such a tough one now, isn't it. Overall the police do a good job in my opinion but this real shit bill has really kicked them in the bollocks. In my opinion, they have had their hands tied the last 12 months being told to enforce a lot of things the public are against and are facing the brunt of a very frustrated public.

On the flip side to that they are under so much scrutiny that they are starting to not police things correctly at all, heavy handed at a vigil last week but not last night? There is no consistency at all and they are now suffering from government decisions
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #25216 on: Monday, March 22, 2021, 10:18:20 »

I think he was referring to the Police and Crimes Bill and the swingeing powers that gives the govt and police to ban pretty much any protest on a whim, rather than those which were technically banned but went ahead anyway under the Covid powers.
I'm not a political animal and don't know the details of the bill.

I don't like seeing mass protests that are taken over by anarchists and arseholes to cause damage and hurt people. And by causing damage, I also mean by leaving all your crap behind for someone else to clean up.

I really do think that people sensationalise things though.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #25217 on: Monday, March 22, 2021, 10:19:26 »

^^^^^^^ what he said.

And they'll use Bristol and other such incidents to justify it. Because that makes it seem reasonable
Of course they will, even though incidents like that are already illegal (rioting has been illegal for quite some time, funnily enough) and these powers would do zero to change that. Other than remove a potential outlet for legitimate grievances to be aired lawfully and peacefully, so making riots more likely.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #25218 on: Monday, March 22, 2021, 10:22:30 »

I'm not a political animal and don't know the details of the bill.
Protests that cause "serious annoyance" or may cause "serious annoyance" are outlawed, punishable by up to 10 years in jail. Even a single person protesting can be arrested and prosecuted if they cause noise that would disturb someone. Put it this way, we've seen plenty of people on here saying that if crowds were allowed at the County Ground there'd have been protests against both the owner and manager at the back of the Arkells after the game. Such protests will be illegal if this bill passes into law unamended. It's not just "anarchists and arseholes" that are threatened by this bill, it is everyone's fundamental right to protest.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #25219 on: Monday, March 22, 2021, 10:37:48 »

It's such a tough one now, isn't it. Overall the police do a good job in my opinion but this real shit bill has really kicked them in the bollocks. In my opinion, they have had their hands tied the last 12 months being told to enforce a lot of things the public are against and are facing the brunt of a very frustrated public.

On the flip side to that they are under so much scrutiny that they are starting to not police things correctly at all, heavy handed at a vigil last week but not last night? There is no consistency at all and they are now suffering from government decisions
seems there isn't much consistency between forces.

the Met did been a few anti lockdown protesters the other day.

Bristol were hands off with this and BLM.

But I agree, the police are being put in an impossible position
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #25220 on: Monday, March 22, 2021, 10:40:25 »

They are being royally fucked over by the government in many ways, look at last weekend where after letting rangers fans free reign in Glasgow, they waded into a socially distanced vigil almost entirely consisting of women, its emerges that Patel was encouraging them to be tough, but then she comes out in the media and condones it and demands answers, she is playing them from both sides.

Likewise with the covid stuff, they are trying to enforce hastily (and badly) drafted legislation with no precedents with one side of the country saying they should be tougher and the other side saying they are going OTT.

I am no fan of the Police as such, but they have been cut to the bone and have become an easy scapegoat for both politicians and public alike.

THe stuff last night was ridiculous, naive and as noted will play into the governments hands, but why did the police get involved so rapidly and vigorously when just the day before we had Nazi salutes and antisemitic nonsense on the streets of London with no police engagement at all.

Oh and while I am ranting, the whole plain clothes police in nightclubs thing is so cloth eared and ridiculous its something Chris Morris would have come up with, setting aside the fact that they will be quite easy to spot (the badly dressed guy sidling around the dance floor drinking coke) it being in response to a lass possibly being murdered by a policeman is at best a poorly considered response.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #25221 on: Monday, March 22, 2021, 10:40:39 »

Trouble is I think people should be able to protest as long as it's organised and peaceful. These pricks just cause damage, violence and disobedience, exactly the sort of thing we need police to deal with.
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #25222 on: Monday, March 22, 2021, 10:49:52 »

Rioting to ensure you're allowed to protest isn't smart.
Good job rioting is illegal

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
The horse is the white of the eyes and dark within.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #25223 on: Monday, March 22, 2021, 11:12:27 »

Bristol were hands off with this and BLM.

I see Farage is trying to link BLM and what happened yesterday.

As for Inspector Knacker (Bristol Division) being 'hands off' yesterday, there are plenty of reports knocking about of it only getting messy when they started wading in with the batons and plenty of noted in A&E with baton injuries.

No idea who to believe, wasn't there.
Flashheart

« Reply #25224 on: Monday, March 22, 2021, 11:16:34 »

So the government have banned protests because they don't like them? Nothing to do with there being a pandemic out there and close proximity to people is the way that the disease spreads?  Also nothing to do with the NHS having been on the point of being totally overwhelmed and the death rate from the virus having spiraled. Glad that I understand this now. Thank God I came onto a football forum to be educated on this!

This is nothing to do with covid. It's an entirely separate matter so feel free to wind it in a tad!
« Last Edit: Monday, March 22, 2021, 11:22:30 by Flashheart » Logged
Flashheart

« Reply #25225 on: Monday, March 22, 2021, 11:21:26 »

Protests that cause "serious annoyance" or may cause "serious annoyance" are outlawed, punishable by up to 10 years in jail. Even a single person protesting can be arrested and prosecuted if they cause noise that would disturb someone. Put it this way, we've seen plenty of people on here saying that if crowds were allowed at the County Ground there'd have been protests against both the owner and manager at the back of the Arkells after the game. Such protests will be illegal if this bill passes into law unamended. It's not just "anarchists and arseholes" that are threatened by this bill, it is everyone's fundamental right to protest.

Plus, the home secretary (Priti Patel) now gets to decide what's allowed and what is not.

It's also rather vague with what is considered to be an annoyance or a disturbance not clearly defined. Quite possibly deliberately as it helps them (the government) to interpret the law as it suits them.
Matchworn Shirts
For Sale

Ignore
« Reply #25226 on: Monday, March 22, 2021, 11:23:35 »

It has happened frequently in Bristol, and elsewhere, where those who are looking for trouble jump on the back of the protests and cause such devastation. Don't they have riot police in the UK?

I come from a land down-under
Flashheart

« Reply #25227 on: Monday, March 22, 2021, 11:24:58 »

I really do think that people sensationalise things though.

What's being sensationalized?
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #25228 on: Monday, March 22, 2021, 12:20:14 »

What's being sensationalized?
The fact that its a government conspiracy to ban people from protesting about stuff that the government dont want them to protest about.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Shrivvy Road

« Reply #25229 on: Monday, March 22, 2021, 12:25:10 »

I see Farage is trying to link BLM and what happened yesterday.

As for Inspector Knacker (Bristol Division) being 'hands off' yesterday, there are plenty of reports knocking about of it only getting messy when they started wading in with the batons and plenty of noted in A&E with baton injuries.

No idea who to believe, wasn't there.
I have seen many saying it only kicked off when the Police arrived. It was a fucking police station ffs
Pages: 1 ... 1679 1680 1681 [1682] 1683 1684 1685 ... 1933   Go Up
Print
Jump to: