Pages: 1 ... 1656 1657 1658 [1659] 1660 1661 1662 ... 1933   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: trivial things that make you smile,or make you feel good  (Read 4551801 times)
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #24870 on: Monday, January 25, 2021, 19:33:40 »

It's not really tbh. I just thought of the advert randomly because I happened to be eating McCain Home Fries (bit of product placement there, sadly unpaid) and remembered how popular it was (at least where I was from). I remember pretty much everyone saying it on the tennis courts at school, then nicking someone's chips  Cheesy

A perked curiosity I know but I then wanted to watch the advert, to see if it was as good as I remembered or much fuss about nothing. It was in the comments (which often can be hilarious) that someone said "those girls are in their mid/late twenties now". If anything it just made me realise how old even we must now be getting. Nowt sinister about it and I think that is the trouble in society today, everything is looked at or viewed with a possible negative edge. It's as if there can no longer be any innocence or joy from even the small things any more.

As far sharing with a bunch of strangers. Most of us do that every single day on social media and I would say we do so here (in that most don't know each other), even more so at present. So I posted the ad, maybe I should have planned and constructed my post more clearly when I did so but it was very much posted "in the moment" rather than a calculated or scheduled post. Pure nostalgia. Nothing else Smiley

If the Daddy or Chips girl ever goes missing I'm turning you in.
Broadbents Tackle

TEF Historian

Ignore
« Reply #24871 on: Monday, January 25, 2021, 19:42:07 »

On the subject of chips, and I am not knocking my move to the USA here because there is plenty of good t o it, but I do miss a good chippy.  So, this really does make me happy, I've found a UK run Fish and Chip shop - granted it's a 70 minute drive away - something to look forward to.

I always missed a decent pie, or more specifically pie, chips and gravy. The closest I could ever get was an Aussie style one with just a bit of puff pastry on top, and frankly it didn't cut the mustard.

Whether your eyes are green, brown, blue, let me see a little bit of red in 'em.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #24872 on: Monday, January 25, 2021, 20:25:08 »

I would trade our local chippy for a Wendy's.

It confused me to discover that USA KFC serves mash and not fries!  Had been over plenty of times but had never bothered with a KFC until we moved here.  I think you like the notion of a Wendy's - it's not much kop.  Everyone goes nuts over Chick-fil-A here.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #24873 on: Monday, January 25, 2021, 21:00:16 »

I'll add, that I do love some oddball stuff, you are just a bit more oddball than oddball

Possibly, maybe I'm just a little more open about it Smiley

I'm not a patch on Tim Burton though but I could easily give Michael Keaton a run for his money as Beetlejuice. I believe it's from that performance that Heath Ledger applied his famous "sucking of cheeks" to the Joker. It definitely wasn't from Gordon Brown!

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #24874 on: Monday, January 25, 2021, 21:01:37 »

Sir, this is not a Wendy's!

'Incessant Nonsense'

JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #24875 on: Monday, January 25, 2021, 21:08:50 »

It confused me to discover that USA KFC serves mash and not fries!  Had been over plenty of times but had never bothered with a KFC until we moved here.  I think you like the notion of a Wendy's - it's not much kop.  Everyone goes nuts over Chick-fil-A here.

Possibly, I've had Wendy's in the US and Canada but it's a few years since I last had it.

American food generally is something that makes me smile or feel good  (to keep this post within the confines of the thread) but, in my experience, I found that (food) portion sizes did not meet my expectations.

Nothing to see here
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #24876 on: Monday, January 25, 2021, 21:09:00 »

If the Daddy or Chips girl ever goes missing I'm turning you in.

Fair one. But in all seriousness, if you knew my family background you'd know this would never happen.

'Incessant Nonsense'

RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #24877 on: Monday, January 25, 2021, 21:12:20 »

Possibly, I've had Wendy's in the US and Canada but it's a few years since I last had it.

American food generally is something that makes me smile or feel good  (to keep this post within the confines of the thread) but, in my experience, I found that (food) portion sizes did not meet my expectations.

Step into the world of bars and Grills etc.  The food portions are designed to feed a person for two days, minimum.  I had a Cowboy Steak in a Texas Roadhouse and had to abandon the fries halfway through my effort.  They do great Steaks and BBQ over here (probably best not to worry too much about how they get that big).
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #24878 on: Monday, January 25, 2021, 21:16:04 »

Do you have Checkers burger restaurants where you are RobT?

Fucking love their burgers
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #24879 on: Monday, January 25, 2021, 21:37:56 »

Yes, although the nearest one is about 25 miles away in Fayetteville.  We did have one in Newnan but it closed around the time I got here I think.  We also have a chain called Krystal that have always looked to me like they sell the cheapest burgers from Asda's Smart Price brand.  Given them a miss.  On the other coast you have In and Out Burger which was pretty good from memory.  Needless to say, I have no issues finding a cheap burger or chicken joint.

Ignore
« Reply #24880 on: Tuesday, January 26, 2021, 08:32:38 »

For something eating related which will amuse you check out "Beard meats food" on YouTube. Like a British Man Vs food version
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #24881 on: Tuesday, January 26, 2021, 08:38:21 »

I am just working on rolling them out to the UK again, first site due to open in May in Reading.  Knock yourself out - I can't stand Wendy's food.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #24882 on: Tuesday, January 26, 2021, 08:40:09 »

Chick fil A is one of our biggest customers, i don't get it either..  Bonkers bible bashers as well..

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #24883 on: Tuesday, January 26, 2021, 09:24:26 »

Love a good Chick Fil A. Probably my favourite fast food when I'm out in the states.

Did have one in Reading for a brief moment but the LGBTQ+ community protested against it, which is understandable and they are well within their rights to do and it didn't last long.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #24884 on: Tuesday, January 26, 2021, 09:30:00 »

Excuse my ignorance, but what were they actually protesting against?
Pages: 1 ... 1656 1657 1658 [1659] 1660 1661 1662 ... 1933   Go Up
Print
Jump to: