Pages: 1 ... 1605 1606 1607 [1608] 1609 1610 1611 ... 1938   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: trivial things that make you smile,or make you feel good  (Read 4663055 times)
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #24105 on: Wednesday, August 26, 2020, 10:52:17 »

Off to my weekly, 2-hour Greek lesson. I don’t think I’m cut out for it - it’s so difficult.

Some of the letters are the exact same as the English but sound completely different.

B = v
P = r

and so on.

I’ll persevere but feel I’m getting nowhere

Adio!
Modern Greek is just wrong on pronouncing beta as a "v" sound, for centuries Greek sheep have been saying "βη, bη" i.e. Beeehh, beeehhh. It's clearly not Veeehhh, veeeh. You should point this out to your Greek teacher, it always goes down well.

That said, p does not equal r, the letter is rho that happens to be shaped like (but not identical to) a Latin p (at least in lower case). Given the Greeks got there first, I think they can reasonably claim it is us who have stolen the letter shape not them.

Oh, and the one that looks like a y is gamma which is a g. Just to add to your confusion!

horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #24106 on: Wednesday, August 26, 2020, 12:19:02 »

The school librarian who set up the bookshelf deserves much praise...

pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #24107 on: Wednesday, August 26, 2020, 16:02:39 »

The school librarian who set up the bookshelf deserves much praise...
Nope, it didn't fall on him
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #24108 on: Thursday, August 27, 2020, 12:53:12 »

People who look to jump on everything and be more offended each time. Idiots.  Smiley

https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/18680477.misread-pub-sign-bad-language-sparks-racism-row/
Flashheart

« Reply #24109 on: Thursday, August 27, 2020, 12:59:42 »

People who look to jump on everything and be more offended each time. Idiots.  Smiley

https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/18680477.misread-pub-sign-bad-language-sparks-racism-row/

I'm almost as offended by the thought of not being able to swear in a pub. I won't be going there any time fucking soon, even if I could.

normy

Ignore
« Reply #24110 on: Thursday, August 27, 2020, 17:20:01 »

Off to my weekly, 2-hour Greek lesson. I don’t think I’m cut out for it - it’s so difficult.

Some of the letters are the exact same as the English but sound completely different.

B = v
P = r

and so on.

I’ll persevere but feel I’m getting nowhere

Adio!

I took up re-learning my schoolboy French during the lockdown on the Duolingo free site, and have got up to a 124 day consecutive streak.  It's too easy really, but I'm getting everywhere.

ust be the oldest
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #24111 on: Saturday, August 29, 2020, 09:06:02 »

Selling our gaff for (only a little) over asking.

Now have until the end of November to find somewhere to live!!

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Flashheart

« Reply #24112 on: Saturday, August 29, 2020, 09:08:18 »

Pay off all your debts and fuck off abroad somewhere.

That's what I did.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #24113 on: Saturday, August 29, 2020, 16:10:51 »

Whack your essentials in storage, sell anything else, stay in Turkey longer, enjoy the "freedom" working remotely. Oh and also, you'll get to have a beer with me. I mean, come on that has to be the clincher?  Wink

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #24114 on: Saturday, August 29, 2020, 20:55:23 »

Managing to make a very minor repair to the shower without endangering life or burning the house down. I don't have a good track record at DIY
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #24115 on: Sunday, August 30, 2020, 06:44:19 »

I went for a look on the Yellowsforum just to see what they were saying prior to the start of the season. Scouting the opposition and all that. They appear to be selling Rob Dickie to QPR.

I came across this gem:

We should be bigger than Swansea and the same as Derby. The difference isn’t the people of Oxford, it’s success. We haven’t had wonder owners like Jenkins & Morris otherwise we’d pull huge crowds in higher leagues. Only have to look at our Wembley crowds.. & away crowds to the likes of Boro & Newcastle recently.

Should be the same club size as Derby, fuckin hell
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #24116 on: Sunday, August 30, 2020, 08:04:47 »

A lot deluded supporters from the lower leagues express similar views about their own clubs.

Nothing to see here
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #24117 on: Sunday, August 30, 2020, 08:16:01 »

Are football fans not past this 'sleeping giant'/'potential' nonsense by now? The formula is quite simple most of the time.

Billionaire takes over football club + Redevelopment + Success on the pitch = Sustained growth in fanbase until bubble bursts.

Repeat/rinse.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #24118 on: Sunday, August 30, 2020, 08:36:04 »

Are football fans not past this 'sleeping giant'/'potential' nonsense by now? The formula is quite simple most of the time.

Billionaire takes over football club + Redevelopment + Success on the pitch = Sustained growth in fanbase until bubble bursts.

Repeat/rinse.

They should look at their Thames Valley neighbours who play in blue and white for an example how you get success then things start going wrong when the bubble burst and is slowly rapidly deflating

Clem, hurry up and sell up🤡
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #24119 on: Sunday, August 30, 2020, 08:42:04 »

They should look at their Thames Valley neighbours who play in blue and white for an example how you get success then things start going wrong when the bubble burst and is slowly rapidly deflating

Too right, I mean they have just been in the Championship for the last 7 seasons.
Not been below that since 2002.
Sucks to be them...!!!!
Pages: 1 ... 1605 1606 1607 [1608] 1609 1610 1611 ... 1938   Go Up
Print
Jump to: