Pages: 1 ... 1283 1284 1285 [1286] 1287 1288 1289 ... 1933   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: trivial things that make you smile,or make you feel good  (Read 4543528 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #19275 on: Tuesday, June 20, 2017, 16:44:38 »

This is something I've always wanted to do.

I love the Ridgeway and the contrast between our end of it with all the rolling downland views,and the other end with its villages and woods.
Shame they're demolishing Didcot Power station though,I love the way it dominates the skyline for miles and looks totally out of place.

Careful now... when I suggested the Didcot Cooling Towers had some merit, it upset Jayo.

I always kind of liked the way they added something to the flat Vale landscape, viewed from the Ridgeway or the railway...Didcot won't be the same without them.

People getting nostalgic about ugly concrete cooling towers? Oh fuck off, Reg.

Smiley
Sir Cliff Pipehard

Ignore
« Reply #19276 on: Tuesday, June 20, 2017, 18:05:34 »

Careful now... when I suggested the Didcot Cooling Towers had some merit, it upset Jayo.

Smiley

Different strokes,I guess  Cheesy

Mind you,I've always liked ugly industrial landscapes like Port Talbot,cooling towers,tower blocks,gasometers etc.
I remember visiting family in Croydon as a kid and being in awe of the enormous Croydon B Power station with its 8 towers,now sadly gone.
I was a bit of an expert on power stations as a kid,and once argued with a classmate on a school trip to London who swore blind that Fulham Power station was Battersea as he'd seen it on the Quadrophenia album. As anyone knows,Battersea's 4 chimneys are on each corner whereas Fulham's are all at one end!
As an aside,my grandad lost 3 fingers and half his hand on a circular saw whilst building Battersea power station.
Stop me if this is getting boring..

LucienSanchez

Is this hospital called St. Croc of Shit?!

Ignore
« Reply #19277 on: Tuesday, June 20, 2017, 18:26:50 »

Was sure I'd fucked up an exam at work the other week; found out today I somehow nailed it. Now I've got a week off. Today was a good day.

We made a promise we swore we'd always remember... no retreat, baby, no surrender
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #19278 on: Tuesday, June 20, 2017, 18:38:16 »

Different strokes,I guess  Cheesy

Mind you,I've always liked ugly industrial landscapes like Port Talbot,cooling towers,tower blocks,gasometers etc.
I remember visiting family in Croydon as a kid and being in awe of the enormous Croydon B Power station with its 8 towers,now sadly gone.

Port Talbot/Baglan Bay at night always made me think of Isengard... a mix of beauty and dread, with added smell.

Which brings me to the former Swindon Gas Works... produced the old coal gas, which people used to kill themselves by sticking their head in the oven, it was so toxic.

Ken White could do something with it though...

Sir Cliff Pipehard

Ignore
« Reply #19279 on: Tuesday, June 20, 2017, 18:55:55 »

Port Talbot/Baglan Bay at night always made me think of Isengard... a mix of beauty and dread, with added smell.

Which brings me to the former Swindon Gas Works... produced the old coal gas, which people used to kill themselves by sticking their head in the oven, it was so toxic.

Ken White could do something with it though...

Another masterpiece from Ken! Was that place on Gypsy lane?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #19280 on: Tuesday, June 20, 2017, 19:13:09 »

Yep... Gas Sports and Social Club is still there, on the other side of the road.  Always thought their pitch had the dirtiest mud in Swindon.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #19281 on: Tuesday, June 20, 2017, 19:19:50 »

Port Talbot at night always reminded me of Gotham City. Plain dreary.

Obviously without batman, no way he's paying the Severn toll to save that hole
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #19282 on: Tuesday, June 20, 2017, 20:22:40 »

Negotiated a decent enhanced redundancy package today. Just have to get another job.
Munichred

Ignore
« Reply #19283 on: Tuesday, June 20, 2017, 20:52:39 »

Yep... Gas Sports and Social Club is still there, on the other side of the road.  Always thought their pitch had the dirtiest mud in Swindon.
One or two of their players weren't so clean either...
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #19284 on: Tuesday, June 20, 2017, 21:17:20 »

Negotiated a decent enhanced redundancy package today. Just have to get another job.
sorry you lost your job, hope you get a good one pdq so the package is a Brucie bonus.

oh for the mid 90s again, 6 months tax free on the Friday, new job on the Monday. I'd nearly pay off the mortgage now Smiley

stupid telecoms.
Mother Brown

Ignore
« Reply #19285 on: Tuesday, June 20, 2017, 21:38:40 »

its called the "Gas club" the wooden hut has long gone,  along with any affinity to SW gas, British Gas or Wales and West utilities.
You will saying that the PSF Club is still going next.
Christy

Ignore
« Reply #19286 on: Tuesday, June 20, 2017, 21:49:40 »

I'll never forget our caravan crawling its way through the utterly bleak, apocalyptic 1970s Port Talbot en route to the green fields of Ireland.  A contrast for a 6 year old to marvel at and remember, if not necessarily treasure. 

That must have been pre-M4...and a journey I did come to love when living in Swansea.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #19287 on: Tuesday, June 20, 2017, 22:15:16 »

Port Talbot fascinates me whenever I drive through on the M4. It genuinely feels that there is so little regard for the town they just bulldozed a major motorway through it.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #19288 on: Tuesday, June 20, 2017, 22:25:21 »

sorry you lost your job, hope you get a good one pdq so the package is a Brucie bonus.

oh for the mid 90s again, 6 months tax free on the Friday, new job on the Monday. I'd nearly pay off the mortgage now Smiley

stupid telecoms.
Thanks. @ 56 I mY struggle to get something in sales but who knows? Can't see anything materialising between now and our August holiday so may as well top up the tan.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #19289 on: Tuesday, June 20, 2017, 22:31:02 »

Meeting another tefer tonight, that's 4 of you ticked off the list   Grin
Pages: 1 ... 1283 1284 1285 [1286] 1287 1288 1289 ... 1933   Go Up
Print
Jump to: