Pages: 1 ... 1204 1205 1206 [1207] 1208 1209 1210 ... 1932   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: trivial things that make you smile,or make you feel good  (Read 4541784 times)
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #18090 on: Friday, October 14, 2016, 13:20:06 »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-37645201

What an amazing story.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #18091 on: Friday, October 14, 2016, 17:58:04 »

There was a woman next to me in hospital last night whose bed broke.

I wouldn't laugh normally because she was obviously in a lot of pain but her and her partner found it hysterical and their laughter was infectious (probably not the only infectious thing in the hospital but I try not to think about that.)

There's something heartwarming about people who laugh through adversity together. And something very odd about someone whose bed breaks in half  Huh?

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #18092 on: Friday, October 14, 2016, 21:04:24 »

There was a woman next to me in hospital last night whose bed broke.

I wouldn't laugh normally because she was obviously in a lot of pain but her and her partner found it hysterical and their laughter was infectious (probably not the only infectious thing in the hospital but I try not to think about that.)

There's something heartwarming about people who laugh through adversity together. And something very odd about someone whose bed breaks in half  Huh?

I was in London today and there was a man crushed up against the door of a tube carriage, face against the glass. Our eyes met for a second and he just stuck his tongue out and started laughing. Same type of thing. Shitty situation approached with humor. Not enough of that.
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #18093 on: Friday, October 14, 2016, 21:22:35 »

I was in London today and there was a man crushed up against the door of a tube carriage, face against the glass. Our eyes met for a second and he just stuck his tongue out and started laughing. Same type of thing. Shitty situation approached with humor. Not enough of that.

Haha, yes exactly Smiley

Speaking of which, my Dad was having his eyes examined recently and the doctor said "open wide" so he opened his mouth (obviously she had a torch pointing at his eyes) and she was creased. Is it just me or is that normal? "Open wide" is such a weird thing to say if you want someone to open their eyes.

And I will only accept the first 2 rude jokes about me finding that a normal response..

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
Whits
Morphined Up

« Reply #18094 on: Friday, October 14, 2016, 23:25:48 »

Shitty situation approached with humor. Not enough of that.

I go to a cancer support group every couple of weeks, it amazes me how many people manage with humour between everyone. We are all in the same boat, very rarely look at the dark side even when we have lost people in the group to it, its the look on the positive side of the person when they raise a cup of tea to them.

Plays in midfield and his name is Tommy Miller,
signed him from Huddersfield his name is Tommy Miller,
first touch is average but his second is a killer,
heeeeeey Tommy Miller!
Talk Talk

« Reply #18095 on: Saturday, October 15, 2016, 10:19:16 »

You might think that this in the inverse thread, but the new plastic five pound notes. I find it funny as now we actually have a true representation of what fiat currency is. Plastic. It is imitation, not tied to any underlying worth, as in a valuable base metal like gold. The government can mould (?) as many as they want at any time. Secondly, when it occurred to me that we now have to pay 5 pence for a plastic bag the irony suffocated me.
Panda Paws

« Reply #18096 on: Monday, October 17, 2016, 11:10:44 »

Anyone else on here listen to the Athletico Mince podcast with Bob Mortimer? It's absolutely fucking brilliant.

Spent my normally hellish commute absolutely pissing myself this morning.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #18097 on: Monday, October 17, 2016, 11:20:32 »

You might think that this in the inverse thread, but the new plastic five pound notes. I find it funny as now we actually have a true representation of what fiat currency is. Plastic. It is imitation, not tied to any underlying worth, as in a valuable base metal like gold. The government can mould (?) as many as they want at any time. Secondly, when it occurred to me that we now have to pay 5 pence for a plastic bag the irony suffocated me.

Interestingly, people who live in small towns and rural areas are now complaining that it is becoming difficult to get cash, as the banks close branches and there are no cash machines, further outlets who offer cash back have none themselves due to the shortage.

Presumably there are perceived advantages to banks and governments of a cashless society.....

Quiz question.   Which coin ceased to be legal tender in 1980?  What was its nickname?

Quiz question.  Which coin introduced by Edward III, ceased to be legal tender in 1993. What was its nickname?
« Last Edit: Monday, October 17, 2016, 11:26:11 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
inept and tiresome

Ignore
« Reply #18098 on: Monday, October 17, 2016, 11:48:27 »

Interestingly, people who live in small towns and rural areas are now complaining that it is becoming difficult to get cash, as the banks close branches and there are no cash machines, further outlets who offer cash back have none themselves due to the shortage.

Presumably there are perceived advantages to banks and governments of a cashless society.....

Quiz question.   Which coin ceased to be legal tender in 1980?  What was its nickname?

Quiz question.  Which coin introduced by Edward III, ceased to be legal tender in 1993. What was its nickname?
I'll have a crack at this
1980 6d tanner

Edward.  Florrin 2/-
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #18099 on: Monday, October 17, 2016, 11:56:06 »

I'll have a crack at this
1980 6d tanner

Edward.  Florrin 2/-

Yep.tanner. 6D became 2 1/2 p

Yep it was the florin. Known as the 2 bob bit.

Having a discussion in the pub, due to plastic fivers. Amazed that the florin was legal until 93.  The Victorians reinstated it, as  2 shillings.....on decimalisation it became worth 10p, and was the same size coin as a new 10p. In 93 the 10p became smaller, so florins surviving no longer legal.

Who remembers the decimal halfpenny ceased to be legal in 1984?
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #18100 on: Monday, October 17, 2016, 12:34:44 »

Whoever thought the many-sided thruppenny bit was a good idea. Mind you, it was the coin of choice for chucking at opposition keepers back in the day - along with BR bog rolls.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #18101 on: Monday, October 17, 2016, 13:39:45 »

The thrup knee bit was a chunky bit if coinage Yes
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #18102 on: Monday, October 17, 2016, 13:46:49 »

You could get 12 Blackjacks or Fruit Salads with one of them!
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #18103 on: Wednesday, October 19, 2016, 10:02:39 »

http://twitter.com/BritishArmy/status/788671450039353344

I'm amused at the fact that someone thought this was a good idea and the state their PR department will be in a few hours. I'm sure it was a Tropic Thunder reference...
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #18104 on: Wednesday, October 19, 2016, 10:33:30 »

It's gone. What was it?
Pages: 1 ... 1204 1205 1206 [1207] 1208 1209 1210 ... 1932   Go Up
Print
Jump to: