Pages: 1 ... 1012 1013 1014 [1015] 1016 1017 1018 ... 1931   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: trivial things that make you smile,or make you feel good  (Read 4536331 times)
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #15210 on: Monday, June 29, 2015, 11:10:39 »

He did, yes - in both.  Nice synopsis of his war record here.

And thanks, Reading Red.  We're just up the road in Farnborough.  I should have a look round.

Thanks for this - that landing accident probably ended up saving his life, coming just before the hottest two months of the BoB. Doesn't mention any encounters with the enemy - did he score anything?

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #15211 on: Monday, June 29, 2015, 12:08:02 »

Thanks for this - that landing accident probably ended up saving his life, coming just before the hottest two months of the BoB. Doesn't mention any encounters with the enemy - did he score anything?

And mine!  My Dad was not born until after the war.  The landing nearly killed him.  He spent 6 months in hospital, and always seemed to regret the incident even though, as you say, it could well have saved him.  The flight was a very short one (from one side to Kent to the other), but the take off was delayed meaning that it was getting dark when he tried to land.  And there were no landing lights, for obvious reasons.

I suspect that, like most, he did notch a few scores.  But like many others his age/generation, he was quite reticent about talking about it and seemed to me to want to downplay his own role.  Certainly got in to a few interesting scrapes.
« Last Edit: Monday, June 29, 2015, 12:11:12 by Ardiles » Logged
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #15212 on: Monday, June 29, 2015, 16:40:57 »

Managing to get my head around multi variable data tables in Excel (only 4D or Ardiles may like this)
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #15213 on: Monday, June 29, 2015, 18:24:14 »

Managing to get my head around multi variable data tables in Excel (only 4D or Ardiles may like this)

If there was a 'like' button on here, I would.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #15214 on: Monday, June 29, 2015, 19:15:41 »

The wife's managed to bag free tickets to Chessington this Saturday.

Cheesy
Bewster

Ignore
« Reply #15215 on: Monday, June 29, 2015, 19:20:26 »

The wife's managed to bag free tickets to Chessington this Saturday.

Cheesy

Superb - went last month. The girls will love it Sam. If you go on the the Vampire help them off of the seat after, Daisy hopped off, caught her trousers on the seat and faceplanted herself from 3 feet. Cue a trip to first aid  Doh
Bewster

Ignore
« Reply #15216 on: Monday, June 29, 2015, 19:21:05 »

If there was a 'like' button on here, I would.

Found a great website if you're ever in need
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #15217 on: Monday, June 29, 2015, 20:13:44 »

Ooh, sounds interesting.  Hmmm
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #15218 on: Tuesday, June 30, 2015, 19:37:03 »

Nasal hair trimmers.  I recently came into possession of one, and I can honestly say that my nasal passages have never been as marvellous as they are right now.  Really not sure how I managed without all this time.  No looking back.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #15219 on: Tuesday, June 30, 2015, 22:18:51 »

Nasal hair trimmers.  I recently came into possession of one, and I can honestly say that my nasal passages have never been as marvellous as they are right now.  Really not sure how I managed without all this time.  No looking back.

If ever there was a defining moment of realising you got old!  Is it one of those ones you can do your ears with as well? why hasn't evolution removed these useless hair growth problems for us already without the need to resort to technology!
Talk Talk

« Reply #15220 on: Tuesday, June 30, 2015, 22:25:29 »

It was fucking ELO, playing Ma Belle on my iPod! I tested my theory and, sure enough, towards the end of the track there was that sound.

3 months worrying that my car was on the verge of breaking apart and it was all the fault of Bev Fucking Bevan....

I wish you had told me Steve. I saw Bev Bevan and his band at the Wyvern on Wednesday last week. I would have smacked him one for you.

He was there on a gig with his childhood friend Jasper Carrott (no, you're too young), bloody brilliant. The tour is called Stand Up and Rock. Bugger me, they are both 70 now. Still very much up for it though. I was sat there just knowing that Reg was in in the audience.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #15221 on: Tuesday, June 30, 2015, 23:36:31 »

A special mention to the lumpy, ugly bint in the supermarket at lunchtime. She barged past me to get a divider thingy (that I was going to get for her when I could reach it). She slammed it down and huffed and puffed.  Joy. I entered amble mode  Cheesy
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #15222 on: Wednesday, July 1, 2015, 08:32:07 »

For the first time in just about ever, I am working in an office building that boasts a fully functioning air conditioning system.  Feeling very grateful for it today.

How's the 40C heat in Paris, Red Frog?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #15223 on: Wednesday, July 1, 2015, 08:39:33 »

If ever there was a defining moment of realising you got old!  Is it one of those ones you can do your ears with as well? why hasn't evolution removed these useless hair growth problems for us already without the need to resort to technology!

It's down to testosterone, apparently hair follicles are very sensitive to the stuff, as we age then more is produced to compensate of loss in other areas...
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #15224 on: Wednesday, July 1, 2015, 08:44:13 »

For the first time in just about ever, I am working in an office building that boasts a fully functioning air conditioning system.  Feeling very grateful for it today.

How's the 40C heat in Paris, Red Frog?

Like you imagine. No aircon here. Have to go out later. I may be some time...

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Pages: 1 ... 1012 1013 1014 [1015] 1016 1017 1018 ... 1931   Go Up
Print
Jump to: