Pages: 1 ... 2184 2185 2186 [2187] 2188 2189 2190 ... 2655   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Trivial things you don't understand/mildly annoy you  (Read 5047360 times)
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #32790 on: Friday, June 26, 2020, 16:33:13 »

Funny that, we used to have a neighbour whose kid would howl a lot but I think they may have had Aspergers or similar. Now I just have a dog above that howls for several hours all night. Hence my more recent late/early morning posts. May have to slip a Diazepam in my bedtime brew.

Pint

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Hitchinred

Ignore
« Reply #32791 on: Sunday, June 28, 2020, 08:17:28 »

The fact thetownend.com site on my phone just takes me to a “Thank you for registering” message which I can’t do anything with. Still working fine on my iPad from which I type this.
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #32792 on: Sunday, June 28, 2020, 22:43:46 »

**Sorry bit of a rant so skip this, as i'm sure most will anyway**

... What arrives today? A nice Happy New Year letter from them basically stating similar "since we have not heard from you..." and "Your outstanding balance of £120 must be paid immediately.." all in bold and also threatening to pass the account onto a debt recovery team. Cheers! I've had less hassle from loan/credit card companies.

#BunchOfCunts

An update: I agreed a repayment in instalments of around £60. Then on Jan 8th they sent:

"I will raise an inquiry with the provider and then advise further, would you like to set up a DD for the agreed amount anyway?"

Naturally, I said no I will wait on your further advice. We had agreed the amount it was just a matter of them informing the provider and getting back to me.

Today I receive my first correspondence since then. Some 5 months and 3 weeks later saying;

"Balance: ££97.84

Settlement Opportunity - Save £££

Dear Bamboo

You have an outstanding balance with your provider which remains unpaid.

If you can pay ££73.38 this will settle the account, saving you ££24.46"

The rest is just the usual guff about ways to pay. But what in fuck of fucks? First off, it reads like a Primary school newsletter that they let the kids do. Especially the "Save £££" but. Then the fact it has taken nearly 6months to respond? I know they can chase a debt for 5yrs but surely in a negotiation/settlement period they have to respond quicker than once in nearly 6 months? Aren't there legal thingymabobs where they have to reply inside 28 or 30 days to remain compliant? Like a code of conduct?

Other issues, the amounts referenced have never been mentioned before, not the £97.84 (it was supposedly c£120) nor the settlement of £73.38 (it was agreed as £62).

I will likely respond with a lower counter offer but part of me wonders whether they are entitled to anything at all, due to their own lax response rate. Maybe I'll wait nearly 6 months before responding? Surely I'm well within my right to, since if it's ok for them then it would be perfectly fine for me? They can't have it both ways. If I have to show a willingness to repay (I have) then they have to show a willingness to collect (in a respectable and regular time period), otherwise it's fucked up.

So essentially, TEF (and anyone who knows properly, poss RobT) do I play hard ball back? I was happy to pay the agreed settlement amount (in instalments fuck em) in Jan but waited as I was following their protocol on the official outcome. Some may say, "did you not think to contact them?" well no because they were the ones who were next to correspond. There was no requirement for me to respond at that moment. I would've been sending emails to myself, so it's on them.

'Incessant Nonsense'

JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #32793 on: Sunday, June 28, 2020, 23:26:28 »

I don't know the background/what the debt relates to and skim read this.  Just picking up on a couple of points:-

1. The limitation period relating to debts is essentially 6 years. Limitation can be extended by a written acknowledgement of a debt.

2. If you owe a business money and you are an individual, they should comply with the debt pre-action protocol (which is available on the net) before issuing a claim in the county court.

Presumably you have been putting the money away since Jan 2020 and  therefore you have the cash to pay?  Personally, I wouldn't get involved in a significant debate over a few quid and would pay and move on to more pressing matters. However, there may be more to this.

This response is for general information only and does not constitute legal advice.

Nothing to see here
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #32794 on: Monday, June 29, 2020, 03:31:34 »

Don’t ignore them, that plays into their hands.  Simply continue to correspond.  You are disputing the amount owed with evidence as to why.  You will pay for services used and nothing more, add some complaining about their communications with you and how they have not responded to your requests.  If they threaten to take it to a Debt Collector, you will continue to refuse to pay more than you owe and you will take the matter to the Regulator/Ombudsman.

You should probably approach the latter now as well anyway.  It gets a different team involved in the company who HAvE to respond, even if they defend their stance.

Provide dates of your emails to them in both.  In the email t the company, suggest further chase letters without responding to your concerns will be treated as Harassment.  They have every right to chase you for money owed in a reasonable fashion, not chase you for money you don’t owe.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #32795 on: Monday, June 29, 2020, 03:35:11 »

I once allowed the Council to take me to Court, because they had fucked up and refused to budge.  The judge agreed with them, that when they worked out the balance on my account, they owed me money!  I followed this up with a pretty sarcastic letter demanding payment.  It was made more fun because they broke the DPA during this dispute with me, chasing me for an account that was actually in my Dads name.
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #32796 on: Monday, June 29, 2020, 15:56:57 »

Thanks JBZ, I meant to put 6years but must've had a thumb error Smiley Not really sure it matters whether I was putting the cash away or not as I was awaiting their further advice. It was their choice to take nearly 6months before replying to me. I would say it is worth arguing for the correct amount, even if it turns out to be £20 or something. If they do that to say one million customers (just plucking), I don't need to tell you that is excess cash and quite a bit going into the company coffers. That isn't right. Call me sad but I can't see why they should get excess money they aren't entitled to.

Cheers Rob, yes I was likely to respond and have never ignored them (always responded inside 4 weeks/28 days). Well I thought I had agreed the amount with them, for the services used essentially. Now they seem to want to extract a little more by dressing it up as doing me a favour. Sneaky tactic really and the figure is clearly random to make it look like some type of calculated amount. Maybe they do this thinking people will forget? Even though there is an email trail with evidence. No wonder they wanted correspondence to be via phone call initially (I told them I would communicate via email, they have ignored this request previously, even sent me a text at one point).

I'll get on it and send them an email back. It wouldn't surprise me if someone has merged the wrong figures into my email, going by the "££97..." and subsequent other figures on the email which have multiple £ signs. Pre-formatted. Clearly a mail merge type. So someone could have fucked up the amounts too, which is why I have two random figures.

I'm more than happy to pay what I owe but that amount must be the right amount.

Haha, your story about the council sums it up. In more ways than one. Thanks again.

'Incessant Nonsense'

JBZ

Ignore
« Reply #32797 on: Monday, June 29, 2020, 16:57:02 »

I suggest that you tender the sum you consider to be due on a full and final basis. In the olden days, you would tender payment by cheque and make it clear that if they cash the cheque, this would create a binding compromise/settlement.

Commercially, it cannot be worth arsing about for ££97 or £97.

Leaving aside technical arguments around whether a party can keep the sum tendered on that basis and still seek the balance, what's left over will be even less economic to pursue.

This further response is for general information only and does not constitute legal advice.

Nothing to see here
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #32798 on: Monday, June 29, 2020, 18:47:41 »

Commercially, it cannot be worth arsing about for ££97 or £97.

That's the point, it isn't £97. It should be £62. They can get screwed if they are trying to claim an extra £35. More than 55% than the agreed amount. What may seem small money to yourself, will be more to others. Besides, it's about being charged what is correct, not some random figure. I'm certain if I said to a client "here are my fees" and when the project finished I turn round and say "oh no my fees are this now", I'm pretty certain they would, in most cases tell me where to go.

I think if you're that interested, maybe read the whole of my post. If you don't see it worth your while it's probably best to not comment.

This does not constitute legal or life advice but responding without reading in full is inadvisable.

'Incessant Nonsense'

JBZ

Ignore
« Reply #32799 on: Monday, June 29, 2020, 19:03:17 »

That's the point, it isn't £97. It should be £62. They can get screwed if they are trying to claim an extra £35. More than 55% than the agreed amount. What may seem small money to yourself, will be more to others. Besides, it's about being charged what is correct, not some random figure. I'm certain if I said to a client "here are my fees" and when the project finished I turn round and say "oh no my fees are this now", I'm pretty certain they would, in most cases tell me where to go.

I think if you're that interested, maybe read the whole of my post. If you don't see it worth your while it's probably best to not comment.

This does not constitute legal or life advice but responding without reading in full is inadvisable.

Many thanks for this.

You misunderstand.  For clarity:-

1.  It occurs to me that it must be uneconomic for the entity seeking recovery from you  (emphasis added) to chase you for £97.

2. If you consider your liability is £62, pay that as suggested earlier.

3. If, merely for the sake of argument, we accept you owe £97, it would be even less worthwhile for the entity seeking payment to pursue the difference between your respective positions.

I hope this helps.

Nothing to see here
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #32800 on: Tuesday, June 30, 2020, 17:22:35 »

Bristol City have started a kids soccer school by the field where I live in Haydon Wick!

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #32801 on: Tuesday, June 30, 2020, 17:26:04 »

Bristol City have started a kids soccer school by the field where I live in Haydon Wick!

That's dreadful  Angry
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #32802 on: Tuesday, June 30, 2020, 17:42:12 »

That's dreadful  Angry
Yep, Reading and Southampton also run "soccer schools" in the Swindon area, we need to jump on that asap.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #32803 on: Tuesday, June 30, 2020, 17:48:38 »

This has been going on for years
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #32804 on: Tuesday, June 30, 2020, 17:54:41 »

Yep, Reading and Southampton also run "soccer schools" in the Swindon area, we need to jump on that asap.
Don't think Reading do (or at least not to any great extent) any more, they've drastically cut back their DC programme in recent years. But as tans says, been going on for years. I'm only surprised Chelsea's tentacles haven't reached here yet - they're all over Dorset and Hants and there are Arsenal-branded (and I choose the words carefully) DCs in Oxon
Pages: 1 ... 2184 2185 2186 [2187] 2188 2189 2190 ... 2655   Go Up
Print
Jump to: