Pages: 1 ... 2172 2173 2174 [2175] 2176 2177 2178 ... 2655   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Trivial things you don't understand/mildly annoy you  (Read 5048494 times)
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #32610 on: Saturday, June 6, 2020, 10:48:56 »

I don't think attitudes change greatly, I just think a few shout louder these days. Your point 2 has been around forever.

Very true. I wasn't suggesting that this was any new way of thinking.

I am not sure it's correct to say that attitudes don't change greatly.  I think that some widely held views from 1970s are not as prevalent as they are now (but I am sure they still exist).  That said I acknowledge that there will be rural towns and communities in Wiltshire and beyond where attitudes have not changed at as great a rate as others.

Nothing to see here
mystical_goat

Ignore
« Reply #32611 on: Saturday, June 6, 2020, 11:40:26 »

I am not sure it's correct to say that attitudes don't change greatly.

Agree, and I think these changes can also occur in relatively short periods of time; normally accelerated by specific campaigns, people widely known to the public (n.b. popstars like Katy Perry, Taylor Swift etc, self-serving or not) promoting the advancement of such thinking, and by news stories which are closely linked to a topic. So when Ardilles said:

Homophobia & racism etc. were just as unacceptable then as they are now.

I'd like to make this a little more nuanced and say, homophobia and racism were generally unacceptable then (at the time of Little Britain being broadcast) but now are even more more widely known about and viewed, to a noticeably greater degree, as unacceptable.

That Matt Lucas says he wouldn't cover trans and racial issues in the same way is a direct reflection of this.

Another example could be, the development of awareness of sensitivity to pronouns used for certain people (admittedly there is a lot of codswallop that comes with the he/she/they thing but on the whole it's a reflection of much greater knowledge and sensitivity among the general population around trans issues).

I think also that gay people probably feel more confident about things like coming out to their families, or displaying affection for their same-sex partners in public than they used to 15/20 years ago. That's just my assumption though.
« Last Edit: Saturday, June 6, 2020, 11:42:26 by mystical_goat » Logged
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #32612 on: Saturday, June 6, 2020, 15:26:47 »

Yes, think you're spot on there.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #32613 on: Wednesday, June 10, 2020, 08:25:52 »

Do not create a division where there is no division.

https://www.thefocus.news/music/facebooks-blanket-ban-skinhead-subculture/

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #32614 on: Wednesday, June 10, 2020, 08:47:27 »

I still love the office but 2 points arise:-

1. Society and attitudes move on over time.

I am not sure they do as such, things if anything seem to be cylindrical. I vividly recall there being a massive spike in far right issues in the early/mid 90's which was offset rather by the resurgence of organisations such as AFA, my main conduit to this was via music and the fact that  afair few bands I liked were quite heavily involved in supporting anti-fascist organisation, that then seemed to die out, I am not sure why, possibly New Labour coming to power or the fact that at least publicly none of the major parties seemed to be legitimising nationalism or racism?

Fast forward to now and its all happening again, however this time its being given a veneer of legitimacy by the fact that we have leaders in both the UK and US with rather right wing viewpoints and a long history of racist statements, along with other parties also with skeletons in their memberships.

So I am not sure if much has changed really, apart from its making people more confident to present these views in public as they are merely echoing what our elected leaders have been saying.

Ignore
« Reply #32615 on: Wednesday, June 10, 2020, 10:35:21 »

The sound of people eating crisps. The packet rustling, the crunching, all of it.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #32616 on: Wednesday, June 10, 2020, 10:51:20 »

The sound of people eating crisps. The packet rustling, the crunching, all of it.

On a similar note, people eating with their mouths open. Heathens
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #32617 on: Wednesday, June 10, 2020, 10:56:01 »

I am not sure they do as such, things if anything seem to be cylindrical. I vividly recall there being a massive spike in far right issues in the early/mid 90's which was offset rather by the resurgence of organisations such as AFA, my main conduit to this was via music and the fact that  afair few bands I liked were quite heavily involved in supporting anti-fascist organisation, that then seemed to die out, I am not sure why, possibly New Labour coming to power or the fact that at least publicly none of the major parties seemed to be legitimising nationalism or racism?

Fast forward to now and its all happening again, however this time its being given a veneer of legitimacy by the fact that we have leaders in both the UK and US with rather right wing viewpoints and a long history of racist statements, along with other parties also with skeletons in their memberships.

So I am not sure if much has changed really, apart from its making people more confident to present these views in public as they are merely echoing what our elected leaders have been saying.

I agree that certain attitudes won't change/evolve but that doesn't mean that society as it is now is the same as it was say 10 years ago.  Attitudes to race have not really moved on that much.  I not sure that they ever will.

Nothing to see here
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #32618 on: Wednesday, June 10, 2020, 11:37:49 »

It's not just about racism though, the fact that different races seem separated from each other by where they live leads to less association. Been going on for decades and hasn't changed much over the years. How about some integration?
« Last Edit: Wednesday, June 10, 2020, 11:42:16 by 4D » Logged
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #32619 on: Wednesday, June 10, 2020, 11:45:30 »

If they don't open their mouths how do they shove the crisps in? asking for a friend with their mouth wired Cheesy

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
BoA Vagabond

Tufty club

Ignore
« Reply #32620 on: Wednesday, June 10, 2020, 11:46:42 »

Do not create a division where there is no division.

https://www.thefocus.news/music/facebooks-blanket-ban-skinhead-subculture/
Totally agree with you PV. The Redskins spring to mind as a white anti-fascist skinhead band. Must go back and have a listen to Neither Washington nor Moscow.

Parasitic freeloading season ticket holder scum
Chunkyhair

Ignore
« Reply #32621 on: Wednesday, June 10, 2020, 11:57:17 »

Weirdly enough for no reason I can explain I was thinking about the Redskins whilst shopping in Asda on Saturday, singing Keep on Keeping On in my head and remembering their appearance on the Tube.

I guess shopping in Asda will make you think weird things to avoid the reality of being in that hell hole Hmmm

No one kills a thread like me....
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #32622 on: Wednesday, June 10, 2020, 12:02:33 »

Always seem to have one of these sat close to me when I go to the cinema.  Bloody irritating.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.

Ignore
« Reply #32623 on: Wednesday, June 10, 2020, 12:16:54 »

'Chamming' we used to call it as kids and yeah I hate it.

Always seem to have one of these sat close to me when I go to the cinema.  Bloody irritating.
I rarely go to the cinema mainly due to that, and the other annoying things people do to distract. Unless it's something I really want to see on release, I'll wait.
jutty274

Ignore
« Reply #32624 on: Wednesday, June 10, 2020, 12:28:00 »

The last time you went to the cinema, there was a lady who played the organ at the front.
Pages: 1 ... 2172 2173 2174 [2175] 2176 2177 2178 ... 2655   Go Up
Print
Jump to: