Pages: 1 ... 2171 2172 2173 [2174] 2175 2176 2177 ... 2656   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Trivial things you don't understand/mildly annoy you  (Read 5066129 times)
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #32595 on: Friday, June 5, 2020, 22:59:49 »

Little Britain is the real shocker. First, it wasn't that funny. And even at the time it was racist, transphobic, homophobic and probably more. It is way over the line in 2020.

It's a strange one, whilst it is all of those things, do you think it get's away with because it seemingly points a finger at all of societies differences? Much like in the same way that Family Guy does too?

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #32596 on: Friday, June 5, 2020, 23:54:34 »

Funny society we live in these days, people are more offensive than ever, and more easily offended. If anyone is offended by Bo Selecta or similar then they really are sad.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #32597 on: Saturday, June 6, 2020, 00:09:23 »

The only people who should take offence to Bo Selecta! is the intentionally rubbish impersonations of the celebs he took off. In fact, I'm certain most have embraced it. Especially Mel "ooh ya bastards yah! Crab paste"  B.

Aren't most of Leigh Francis' Bo Selecta! incarnations, a hybrid of Jim Bowen anyway?

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #32598 on: Saturday, June 6, 2020, 07:24:37 »

The Pioneer Woman on the food network. Talks through her nose so nasal. I just have to switch it over.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #32599 on: Saturday, June 6, 2020, 07:33:51 »

The Pioneer Woman on the food network. Talks through her nose so nasal. I just have to switch it over.

Plus she makes the most basic of food (maybe that’s the idea) I’m sure on one we watched she made cheese sandwiches!

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
mystical_goat

Ignore
« Reply #32600 on: Saturday, June 6, 2020, 08:27:47 »

It's a strange one, whilst it is all of those things, do you think it get's away with because it seemingly points a finger at all of societies differences? Much like in the same way that Family Guy does too?

It points the finger like a child on a playground, who probably has some phobic parents and doesn't know any better. It seemed to just be about picking a minority and turning them into a cartoon character. The minorities portrayed never got one over on anyone, a message never came with the jokes - they were just laughed at. Endless soulless payoffs.

Humour normalises thoughts and behaviours, and we definitely don’t need bigotry any more normalised then it already is. Comedy is supposed to take risks, and mocking the already most-mocked isn’t risky, it’s bullying.

Some of the core jokes were: the man doesn't need a wheelchair he's just lazy, the woman looks ridiculous in drag, the guy in latex is very very gay (this one particularly made life difficult for swathes of gay people), the lady who runs weightwatchers can't understand Indians, a Thai bride called is Ting Tong, Vicky Pollard is a chav and young single mother. And the blackface.

Matt Lucas said,

If I could go back and do Little Britain again, I wouldn’t make those jokes about transvestites. I wouldn’t play black characters. Basically, I wouldn’t make that show now. It would upset people. We made a more cruel kind of comedy than I’d do now. Society has moved on a lot since then, and my own views have evolved. There was no bad intent there – the only thing you could accuse us of was greed. We just wanted to show off about what a diverse bunch of people we could play. Now I think it’s lazy for white people to get a laugh just by playing black characters. My aim is to entertain, I don’t have any other agenda. And as I’ve got older, I’ve become more empathetic, I care more about hurting people.

Ironic that Matt Lucas was bullied terribly as a kid but kind of became one with some of those characters. I've just read they're bringing it back this year for a new version, won't hold my breath.
« Last Edit: Saturday, June 6, 2020, 08:29:47 by mystical_goat » Logged
Flashheart

« Reply #32601 on: Saturday, June 6, 2020, 09:12:22 »

a Thai bride called is Ting Tong,

Ting Tong is Thai for 'crazy'.

Fun fact, kids.
Flashheart

« Reply #32602 on: Saturday, June 6, 2020, 09:21:35 »

Little Britain was also just not funny. Not down to offensiveness or whatever. It was just a very shit 'comedy'.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #32603 on: Saturday, June 6, 2020, 09:28:50 »

Little Britain is fascinating.  Homophobia & racism etc. were just as unacceptable then as they are now.  Attitudes had already moved on from the time of Alf Garnett.  I wonder whether they got away with making it in the early 2000s because it chimed with the comedy genre of the time that aimed to shock and make audiences uncomfortable?  If I'm honest, I remember Little Britain less for the tropes mentioned above, and more for the bus tour guide telling his passengers that he took his wife up the wrong 'un in the village church yard, and David Walliams sucking his elderly Mum's tits.  Comedy then was all about making you feel awkward.  David Brent in The Office was another good example of this.
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #32604 on: Saturday, June 6, 2020, 09:31:41 »

The office was great fun, the awkwardness was the core if it. What a dull and miserable society if everyone is offended by everything.
StfcRusty

Ignore
« Reply #32605 on: Saturday, June 6, 2020, 09:56:31 »

The office was great fun, the awkwardness was the core if it. What a dull and miserable society if everyone is offended by everything.

The Office made fun of the type of middle-aged man who was struggling with the changes in the world and wanted to be politically-correct but didn’t quite understand how. There were black and Asian characters. A disabled character. A woman as the boss. They were never the butt of the joke. We cringed at David Brent, Gareth and Finchy.

That’s why the Office is timeless. The observations still hold true.
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #32606 on: Saturday, June 6, 2020, 10:00:21 »

That wheetabix ad where the girl hooks the submarine out of the sea.  She does it before she's had her wheetabix, not after.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #32607 on: Saturday, June 6, 2020, 10:02:24 »

I still love the office but 2 points arise:-

1. Society and attitudes move on over time.
2. As a reasonably intelligent individual, one must acknowledge that one's own views might not be shared by everyone else.

Nothing to see here
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #32608 on: Saturday, June 6, 2020, 10:14:20 »

That wheetabix ad where the girl hooks the submarine out of the sea.  She does it before she's had her wheetabix, not after.

Maybe she consumed a serving the day before?

Nothing to see here
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #32609 on: Saturday, June 6, 2020, 10:34:39 »

I still love the office but 2 points arise:-

1. Society and attitudes move on over time.
2. As a reasonably intelligent individual, one must acknowledge that one's own views might not be shared by everyone else.

I don't think attitudes change greatly, I just think a few shout louder these days. Your point 2 has been around forever.
Pages: 1 ... 2171 2172 2173 [2174] 2175 2176 2177 ... 2656   Go Up
Print
Jump to: