Pages: 1 ... 2083 2084 2085 [2086] 2087 2088 2089 ... 2655   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Trivial things you don't understand/mildly annoy you  (Read 5047437 times)
Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #31275 on: Thursday, October 17, 2019, 11:21:33 »

Yeah, beating people up for protesting peacefully is fucking ace ain't it.

Did you miss the attempted kick to the face? Fair game after that.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #31276 on: Thursday, October 17, 2019, 11:47:09 »

Those people on the tube were in the wrong, they should not be targeting everyday people like that.

But to brand them all as hippies is ignorant.

It's what the right and their supporters try and do, not that it means anything.

The basic mistake is to assume that because the message is cuddly.... we want to save the planet, the ordinary punter is going to be sympathetic. They're not, there are many who will be quite happy to head for the Extinction door, as long as they can carry on with their lifestyle while waiting. You can see it from the responses of many on here.
Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #31277 on: Thursday, October 17, 2019, 12:22:11 »

Any mass protest involving a large volume of separate actions by independent individuals is inevitably going to result in some outcomes that, with hindsight, prove to be counter-productive.

That doesn't invalidate in any way the overall protest.  I have a few generic concerns with the ER initiative but identifying isolated failures and extrapolating them across the whole movement is always unjustified.

I think that the tube protest was a mistake and I wouldn't blame frustrated commuters for dragging them off the roof of the tube.  Beating them up is just plain wrong.  They're off, get on your tube and go to work.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #31278 on: Thursday, October 17, 2019, 12:41:10 »

I think that the tube protest was a mistake and I wouldn't blame frustrated commuters for dragging them off the roof of the tube.  Beating them up is just plain wrong.  They're off, get on your tube and go to work.

Yeah, sadly, getting into work on time in order to push the paperclips around in the meaningless office job is the be all and end all for some.

If the ER message is taken on board by the powers that be, then by extension that would also mean a possible fundamental change to the "system". Something that the "system" would resist until such time that it could work out how to make money from dealing with climate change.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #31279 on: Thursday, October 17, 2019, 13:12:45 »

If the ER message is taken on board by the powers that be, then by extension that would also mean a possible fundamental change to the "system". Something that the "system" would resist until such time that it could work out how to make money from dealing with climate change.

Mark Carney and his French equivalent, have been pretty vocal on this for a while... probably why the likes of the Mail and those who back their attitudes would like to see him replaced for being "foreign"

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/oct/13/firms-ignoring-climate-crisis-bankrupt-mark-carney-bank-england-governor
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #31280 on: Thursday, October 17, 2019, 13:44:49 »

Mark Carney and his French equivalent, have been pretty vocal on this for a while... probably why the likes of the Mail and those who back their attitudes would like to see him replaced for being "foreign"

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/oct/13/firms-ignoring-climate-crisis-bankrupt-mark-carney-bank-england-governor

I remember thinking at the time of his appointment, with London being one of the major global financial markets, why a suitable home grown talent couldn't be found.

Given that a lot of his pronouncements have managed to upset the popular media, then maybe not a a bad appointment after all.

Good luck to his successor,  whoever they may be.
Not sure if the government of the day has a say in the appointment. Hopefully not.

And maybe climate change / the environment now needs a dedicated thread?

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Flashheart

« Reply #31281 on: Friday, October 18, 2019, 17:07:35 »

"But it's just a theory"

Often said by those trying to debunk established science, while simultaneously demonstrating that they don't even know the basics.
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #31282 on: Friday, October 18, 2019, 20:46:08 »

"But it's just a theory"

Often said by those trying to debunk established science, while simultaneously demonstrating that they don't even know the basics.

A scientific theory... the difference is immense.  Like the difference between an opinion and an interpretation in history.

I know you know btw, Flash. :-)

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
Flashheart

« Reply #31283 on: Friday, October 18, 2019, 20:54:13 »

I know you know btw, Flash. :-)

You do?
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #31284 on: Friday, October 18, 2019, 21:16:47 »

You do?

You seem an intelligent man.  :-)

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
Flashheart

« Reply #31285 on: Friday, October 18, 2019, 21:24:00 »

You seem an intelligent man.  :-)

Ah, right. Thank you for the compliment.

I see now. I misread what you wrote and thought you were saying that you know me. (It's the gin)
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #31286 on: Tuesday, October 22, 2019, 15:49:02 »

Starting off a new bog roll. How difficult can it be to manufacture a roll that just unravels properly?
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #31287 on: Friday, October 25, 2019, 08:24:33 »

People who comment on YouTube songs who put things like

"Who's listening in 2019?"

Who gives a flying one ffs?
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #31288 on: Friday, October 25, 2019, 10:54:10 »

"Still listening in 2020"

[Listening to She's Electric by Oasis] "Sent here via One Tree Hill"

Fuck to the off!

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
mystical_goat

Ignore
« Reply #31289 on: Friday, October 25, 2019, 15:48:12 »

First!

Remeber that thing?
Pages: 1 ... 2083 2084 2085 [2086] 2087 2088 2089 ... 2655   Go Up
Print