Pages: 1 ... 2035 2036 2037 [2038] 2039 2040 2041 ... 2655   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Trivial things you don't understand/mildly annoy you  (Read 5046790 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #30555 on: Thursday, June 13, 2019, 10:53:36 »

But I like avocado  Huh?

Oh dear 4D, avocados are so 40 years ago... now banned in most hipster places as environmentally damaging.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #30556 on: Thursday, June 13, 2019, 10:53:50 »

there is still a place and people for "shopping", it's just not the sort of thing which a lot of people wish to partake in.  Because something is not to your taste doesn't mean it's doomed.
Of course there is, but it's not in town centres, at least not on the scale that was envisaged in the 80s and 90s which is when the current model of High St Retail was devised. That model doesn't work anymore and town centres need to adapt accordingly. That's not a case of my taste, that's just a hard economic fact. Just ask Phillip Green.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #30557 on: Thursday, June 13, 2019, 11:36:39 »

Of course there is, but it's not in town centres, at least not on the scale that was envisaged in the 80s and 90s which is when the current model of High St Retail was devised. That model doesn't work anymore and town centres need to adapt accordingly. That's not a case of my taste, that's just a hard economic fact. Just ask Phillip Green.

It's pretty easy to know where things went wrong from the 60's 70's model, and I would have them down as the time of The Parade and Brunel....  80's 90's more the classic doughnut decisions made by Horlock's fellow professionals.

Much more difficult to put right. 
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #30558 on: Thursday, June 13, 2019, 11:59:50 »

It's pretty easy to know where things went wrong from the 60's 70's model, and I would have them down as the time of The Parade and Brunel....  80's 90's more the classic doughnut decisions made by Horlock's fellow professionals.

Much more difficult to put right. 

Possibly so but more blame can be put directly at the door of Tim Berners-Lee and consumers, Councils can do lots of things, make people shop in town centres is not one of them.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #30559 on: Thursday, June 13, 2019, 12:14:39 »

Possibly so but more blame can be put directly at the door of Tim Berners-Lee and consumers, Councils can do lots of things, make people shop in town centres is not one of them.

Town centres ideally should be a mix of activities.... in Swindon, planners opted to knock down streets of houses and small shops, and replace them with offices many of which are now redundant and boarded up, or knocked down and a hole in the ground.

The College was shunted out to North Star... meaning young people no longer would come into Town for social activities and evening class clientele were lost. The Police Station which for better or worse did give a sense of authority to the Town Centre was bizarrely shunted out to the A 420.  Things like the Brunel were lost along with small venues like The Affair.  As I say no easy answers to putting this right....
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #30560 on: Thursday, June 13, 2019, 13:18:58 »

Town centres ideally should be a mix of activities.... in Swindon, planners opted to knock down streets of houses and small shops, and replace them with offices many of which are now redundant and boarded up, or knocked down and a hole in the ground.

The College was shunted out to North Star... meaning young people no longer would come into Town for social activities and evening class clientele were lost. The Police Station which for better or worse did give a sense of authority to the Town Centre was bizarrely shunted out to the A 420.  Things like the Brunel were lost along with small venues like The Affair.  As I say no easy answers to putting this right....

Whilst I don't know the detail I strongly suspect that planners didn't opt to do anything, a) in the main they respond to developer applications, which in turn respond to what the market wants at any given time and b) where policy and master planning is involved (sadly a dying art due to changes in governance as everyone who chooses to be a planner wants to do this rather than determine garage applications) it is heavily steered by central government policy.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #30561 on: Thursday, June 13, 2019, 14:46:47 »

Whilst I don't know the detail I strongly suspect that planners didn't opt to do anything, a) in the main they respond to developer applications, which in turn respond to what the market wants at any given time and b) where policy and master planning is involved (sadly a dying art due to changes in governance as everyone who chooses to be a planner wants to do this rather than determine garage applications) it is heavily steered by central government policy.

Well someone is guilty for the mess of Swindon Centre, and I don't think planners should be absolved from culpability.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #30562 on: Thursday, June 13, 2019, 15:22:20 »

Well someone is guilty for the mess of Swindon Centre, and I don't think planners should be absolved from culpability.

Whatever
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #30563 on: Friday, June 14, 2019, 10:13:59 »

More news on bank holidaygate.... https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48631198
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #30564 on: Friday, June 14, 2019, 12:49:56 »

Getting an email from a sales person calling me by full christian name. Only my wife and mother call me by that. You are not going to get any business like that!

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #30565 on: Friday, June 14, 2019, 12:56:50 »

Sorry about that Christina.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #30566 on: Friday, June 14, 2019, 14:03:29 »

More news on bank holidaygate.... https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48631198

That's at least something nearly worthy of making the news.

I missed your question about having had a wedding, and yes, it's a stressful time that requires plenty of effort, but 11 months notice is ample and if people can't figure out how to make plans that far in advance to attend your wedding I'd be very surprised.  That still doesn't change the fact it's not newsworthy for anyone beyond the couple and their friends.

Then again, most local news these days is taken from facebook and twitter, so what d I expect.
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #30567 on: Friday, June 14, 2019, 18:46:01 »

Thames water again. They haven’t taken any payment via direct debit for 3 months. If they haven’t received payment then why not tell me?

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
ferret

Ignore
« Reply #30568 on: Friday, June 14, 2019, 21:34:47 »

Here’s a trivial thing which is annoying me, and I can’t find the answer anywhere...

Next to the Spectrum / Renault building, further down Mead Way, there’s quite a big derelict one. Must have been empty for years as the weeds are head high. Who used to occupy it?
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #30569 on: Friday, June 14, 2019, 21:45:59 »

I want to say it something to do with Nationwide.
Pages: 1 ... 2035 2036 2037 [2038] 2039 2040 2041 ... 2655   Go Up
Print
Jump to: