Pages: 1 ... 2024 2025 2026 [2027] 2028 2029 2030 ... 2655   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Trivial things you don't understand/mildly annoy you  (Read 5047250 times)
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #30390 on: Thursday, May 9, 2019, 15:48:17 »

Separately though, they shouldn't have kept renewing his show because he's tedious and ran out of steam years ago.

We all see a different game, don't we.  I love his Saturday morning show.  Every bit as entertaining and refreshingly different as it's always been.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #30391 on: Thursday, May 9, 2019, 15:56:33 »

'Inner shorts'Huh??
Compression shorts built inside more traditional looser fitting shorts - nobody wants to see a middle aged man running in tight lycra shorts, so these are a good compromise. Bit like these:

https://www.sportsshoes.com/product/asi6057/asics-race-2%7Ein%7E1-7-inch-running-short/
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #30392 on: Thursday, May 9, 2019, 17:29:01 »

We all see a different game, don't we.  I love his Saturday morning show.  Every bit as entertaining and refreshingly different as it's always been.

I agree. His auto biography is a good read too.
StfcRusty

Ignore
« Reply #30393 on: Thursday, May 9, 2019, 18:05:02 »

BTW the BBC have a fucking cheek when you consider they promote Farage on an almost daily basis! He may not be employed by them, but he certainly makes a living from the BBC.

BBC also didn’t sack Alan Sugar for his tweet regarding the Senegal football team comparing them to “looky-looky” men in Marbella. Sugar meant the context his tweet was interpreted in. Baker didn’t.

For those of you who listen to his radio show, do you remember the regular feature “Monkeys dressed up as famous people plus Fairground Music”? That ran for ages, all sorts of famous people were mentioned of different ethnicities yet never queried as racist.

There are so many genuine racists out there, I feel sad that Baker is suffering the pile-on for one stupid, idiotic but unintentional mistake.
mystical_goat

Ignore
« Reply #30394 on: Thursday, May 9, 2019, 19:24:02 »

I don't understand why you'd tweet that picture unless you were being racist.

What's the 'joke' otherwise?
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #30395 on: Thursday, May 9, 2019, 19:35:53 »

I don't understand why you'd tweet that picture unless you were being racist.

What's the 'joke' otherwise?

In his own words...

Once again. Sincere apologies for the stupid unthinking gag pic earlier. Was supposed to be joke about Royals vs circus animals in posh clothes but interpreted as about monkeys & race, so rightly deleted.
mystical_goat

Ignore
« Reply #30396 on: Thursday, May 9, 2019, 19:38:04 »

Monkeys and race are a well known sources of jokes. Are the royals and circus animals too!? What a bizarre connection. I'm ignorant if so.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #30397 on: Thursday, May 9, 2019, 19:42:00 »

In his own words...

Once again. Sincere apologies for the stupid unthinking gag pic earlier. Was supposed to be joke about Royals vs circus animals in posh clothes but interpreted as about monkeys & race, so rightly deleted.

Nah dont buy that. Who thinks of monkeys when they think of (ex) circus animals? Lions or elephants yeah. I dont believe he was being intentionally racist,but he certainly ended up appearing like one.
mystical_goat

Ignore
« Reply #30398 on: Thursday, May 9, 2019, 19:42:21 »

Ooooooh I see - saying the royals are circus animals in posh clothes. Yeah very badly thought-through.
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #30399 on: Thursday, May 9, 2019, 21:58:01 »

Genuinely sorry to see him leave the BBC. I love his show (always Brown sauce) and whilst none of us know him, it would seem odd if there was intention behind it given the way he comes across, but equally odd that a man of his intelligence didn’t make the link and could see how it could be interpreted. On that basis, he was at best stupid and at worst, ignorant and racist.

The BBC had little choice, I think. They have to take a zero tolerance, blanket approach to all
employees (Edit: just saw Sugar’s Senegal sunglasses tweet, which is worse. Can only assume the BBC didn’t think Senegalese footballers deserved the same treatment as the new royals, or that Sugar is treated differently as a contractor, rather than an employee). Baker will no doubt have offers soon. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him on the new Virgin, with his mate Chris Evans.

ps - BBC, just don’t give Sat morning to Colin Murray, or Robbie Savage, please.  
« Last Edit: Friday, May 10, 2019, 08:04:14 by Frigby Daser » Logged
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #30400 on: Thursday, May 9, 2019, 22:04:16 »

The BBC had little choice, I think.
Pfft,doubt they'd have made the same decision if it was one of their stars. He's a fading has-been who's done nothing new for years, so easy to get rid of
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #30401 on: Friday, May 10, 2019, 05:58:10 »

Regardless of intent baker has been a monumental twat and his defence is bizarre.
The BBC have lost any moral high ground to sack him given the sugar tweet and Evans continually getting his nudger out.
Baker, however, can't really have any complaints.
Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #30402 on: Friday, May 10, 2019, 07:11:53 »

For me the key question is why on earth would someone in his position make such a tweet genuinely intending it to be the crude racial slur that some are taking it to be?  He might just as well have tweeted "I hate n------" and then sacked himself.

It helps my sympathy for him that it also took me some time to realise the racist connotation.  Partly, I realise, because I don't tend to think of MM as being black (if that sounds racist it's not meant to be).

It is interesting that the comments on here, all trying to be fair, realistic and despising genuine racism, draw such different conclusions.

We do at least all agree that he is an idiot.
Barry Scott

« Reply #30403 on: Friday, May 10, 2019, 08:03:45 »

Genuinely sorry to see him leave the BBC. I love his show (always Brown sauce) and whilst none of us know him, it would seem odd if there was intention behind it given the way he comes across, but equally odd that a man of his intelligence didn’t make the link and could see how it could be interpreted. On that basis, he was at best stupid and at worst, ignorant and racist.

The BBC had little choice, I think. They have to take a zero tolerance, blanket approach to all
employees. He’ll no doubt have offers soon. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him on the new Virgin, with his mate Chris Evans.

ps - BBC, just don’t give Sat morning to Colin Murray, or Robbie Savage, please. 

This sums it up quite nicely for me.

Regardless of whether or not you're a racist, there are likely very few people that wouldn't realise how this would be taken. And coming from a Millwall supporter who works in media? He knew exactly what he did.

My guess is he thought it'd be a bit edgy (while having a laugh about it privately) and he'd be able to side step it with an apology and a cheeky chappie grin. I doubt he thought it'd blow up like this and he'd lose his job.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #30404 on: Friday, May 10, 2019, 09:13:30 »

A lot of this debate has been based on whether or not people rate Danny Baker, which should be irrelevant. As a fan of his, I was initially annoyed at what I saw as an over-reaction to what I remain convinced was a genuine error. But as I read other reactions, I had to concede that it was monumentally naive not to think twice before tweeting that image, and he couldn't have any complaints about his sacking. I'm as sure that Danny isn't racist as Michael Jackson fans are that he wasn't a paedophile. Does remind me though that rights and wrongs get very mixed up with likes and dislikes in the social media age.

At least we all seem to agree about the merits of brown sauce.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Pages: 1 ... 2024 2025 2026 [2027] 2028 2029 2030 ... 2655   Go Up
Print
Jump to: