Pages: 1 ... 2023 2024 2025 [2026] 2027 2028 2029 ... 2655   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Trivial things you don't understand/mildly annoy you  (Read 5046689 times)
Flashheart

« Reply #30375 on: Thursday, May 9, 2019, 14:23:27 »

There's plenty of context. Why would Baker suddenly become so openly racist on social media knowing full well he would be called out on it? That's enough context right there for people to see what the intention was (or was not).

I forget that Meghan is even 'black' at all. I honestly don't think racism would have even crossed my mind without it being mentioned. I call my little boy a monkey at times and he's mixed race. I just call him that because he's a mischievous little sod at times. I'm sure there'd still be some bellends to be quick to accuse me of racism though.

I think he's been a bit naive in not thinking that so many people would choose to be cunts about it but, still, people are being cunts about it.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #30376 on: Thursday, May 9, 2019, 14:32:10 »

There's plenty of context. Why would Baker suddenly become so openly racist on social media knowing full well he would be called out on it? That's enough context right there for people to see what the intention was (or was not).
But no context around the post though? If you want to include broader factors as "context" then "lifelong Millwall fan must be familiar with the racist trope of equating black people with monkeys" is equally compelling, I'd suggest. For the record, no I don't think he's racist, and no I don't think he deserved to be sacked for it, but there's fuck all "context" here.
Flashheart

« Reply #30377 on: Thursday, May 9, 2019, 14:37:27 »

I disagree, Paul.

The person making the post in itself sets plenty of context. It's quite clear to me and many others that Baker would not post a racist tweet on social media.

horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #30378 on: Thursday, May 9, 2019, 14:38:29 »

But no context around the post though? If you want to include broader factors as "context" then "lifelong Millwall fan must be familiar with the racist trope of equating black people with monkeys" is equally compelling, I'd suggest. For the record, no I don't think he's racist, and no I don't think he deserved to be sacked for it, but there's fuck all "context" here.

People make mistakes. We get things wrong. But Danny Baker made a racist joke about a 3-day-old baby to his 500,000 followers and was sacked. If you did the same in the staff canteen, you'd be sacked too.

Bring your employer into disrepute on a national scale = get sacked.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #30379 on: Thursday, May 9, 2019, 14:41:14 »

Yes, of course it's open to misinterpretation, and he was dim not to see that, so he withdrew it and made it very clear that he didn't for a second subscribe to that agenda. Which deserved a censure and that should have been the end of it.

I'd count myself as a fully signed-up member of the PC brigade, but intention and track-record has to count for something. In the social media age, if a retracted error is grounds for sacking, then one by one we'll all fall at some point. (Please don't study my record on the TEF, employers, eh?)

I reckon this was as much about Danny's real intention, which was to point out that people with no intrinsic merit or qualifications are presented as icons for public adoration, not least by the BBC.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Flashheart

« Reply #30380 on: Thursday, May 9, 2019, 14:41:24 »

But Danny Baker made a racist joke

But he didn;t
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #30381 on: Thursday, May 9, 2019, 14:44:08 »

I disagree, Paul.

The person making the post in itself sets plenty of context. It's quite clear to me and many others that Baker would not post a racist tweet on social media.

But playing devils advocate how do you know, some extreme examples?

15 years ago Rolf Harris was all cuddly and a national treasure, any suggestion of what he was up to would have been dismissed by many of his fans as nonsense as he 'wasn't like that'.

Likewise the refusal of a hell of a lot of people to believe anything about Michael Jackson.

Unless you actually know people in the flesh we have no idea, over the years I have only really met for any period of time a couple of 'famous' people and on getting to vaguely know them neither of them were actually remotely like their public persona of peoples conception of them.

I am still genuinely baffled about the whole thing and the only thing I can think of its the perils of tweeting after a drink.  
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #30382 on: Thursday, May 9, 2019, 14:45:19 »

But he didn;t

Unless you are fully aware of his motives I cannot see how you can make that statement?
Flashheart

« Reply #30383 on: Thursday, May 9, 2019, 14:49:58 »

Unless you are fully aware of his motives I cannot see how you can make that statement?

It is my opinion and I think it's a very reasonable opinion to hold.

Of those people accusing him of being racist, how many of those are fully aware of his motives? It doesn't stop him losing his job over it.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #30384 on: Thursday, May 9, 2019, 14:50:49 »

I disagree, Paul.

In which case, his being a Millwall fan (and hence must have been aware of the racist monkey trope) is as relevant as "context" as your perception of his character. They're both part of his public persona.

FWIW, I agree with Red Frog, he's been a twat and should have been reprimanded, end of. Separately though, they shouldn't have kept renewing his show because he's tedious and ran out of steam years ago.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #30385 on: Thursday, May 9, 2019, 14:51:38 »

I am still genuinely baffled about the whole thing and the only thing I can think of its the perils of tweeting after a drink.  

I don't know if you're jumping to conclusions about the drink, or if I missed that detail of the story, but where I'd have to come round to your point of view is on the need to be a bit more on your guard if you have a national media job with half a million followers.

Danny's charm is in his shambolic shoot-from-the-hip style, and this isn't the first time his mouth's lost him a job. We'll all survive it.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #30386 on: Thursday, May 9, 2019, 14:53:29 »

Went for a run earlier. There was a certain amount of chafing from my inner shorts, so I applied a lotion that described itself as "a soothing cooling gel", specifically for post-exercise use. I'm not saying they mis-advertised but I found myself being put in mind of one of Jerry Lee Lewis's greatest hits. Ouch.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #30387 on: Thursday, May 9, 2019, 15:00:14 »

It is my opinion and I think it's a very reasonable opinion to hold.

Of those people accusing him of being racist, how many of those are fully aware of his motives? It doesn't stop him losing his job over it.

But of those people saying he is not racist (I'll be honest I am fairly indifferent either way but those defending him are getting as silly as those complaining now) how many are white people who have not seen anything from a non-white perspective in life.

He has been a clueless twat one way or the other, although there is a context to the tweet that is actually getting little coverage.

horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #30388 on: Thursday, May 9, 2019, 15:01:00 »

Went for a run earlier. There was a certain amount of chafing from my inner shorts, so I applied a lotion that described itself as "a soothing cooling gel", specifically for post-exercise use. I'm not saying they mis-advertised but I found myself being put in mind of one of Jerry Lee Lewis's greatest hits. Ouch.

'Inner shorts'Huh??
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #30389 on: Thursday, May 9, 2019, 15:09:53 »

Whole lotta shakin' goin' on? 
Pages: 1 ... 2023 2024 2025 [2026] 2027 2028 2029 ... 2655   Go Up
Print
Jump to: