Pages: 1 ... 1928 1929 1930 [1931] 1932 1933 1934 ... 2656   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Trivial things you don't understand/mildly annoy you  (Read 5084971 times)
Panda Paws

« Reply #28950 on: Monday, September 10, 2018, 16:02:52 »

Except Gary Rose is still there and he's a bloody decent journalist imo. Especially with the crap he has around him. Was always professional when at Town. Morshead not so much and even he has managed to get a decent gig. Still can be petulant at times "he is young, he is learning..."

The important thing to realise is that unless people get to the very top, most digital journos are very junior and paid very poorly. There can't be a profession that requires a degree and pays as poorly for grads.

So, it lacks quality more often than not. Most subs have been made redundant, most staff are on day-rate and don't care. It's not a particularly fun or rewarding industry for many, unless you land the passion project like Morshead.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #28951 on: Monday, September 10, 2018, 20:00:28 »

The important thing to realise is that unless people get to the very top, most digital journos are very junior and paid very poorly. There can't be a profession that requires a degree and pays as poorly for grads.

So, it lacks quality more often than not. Most subs have been made redundant, most staff are on day-rate and don't care. It's not a particularly fun or rewarding industry for many, unless you land the passion project like Morshead.

There should be more vocational platforms to become a journo though. I don't think a degree is necessary for all content. Travel and Sports journalism in particular. You can learn the legal elements whilst training. I think the industry is missing some absolute cracking blog writers, vlog creators, podcast content, etc. out there purely down to a stubborn attitude. The original media has only got stuck in the dark ages because it failed to move on/adapt when platforms like YouTube, Tumblr, Vimeo etc became more prominent.

I'm kind of against just anyone being able to present themselves as a "journo" but today, kids are making content that people pay for and much of it is them talking about themselves. They call them "influencers" but essentially it is a media representation of what they think their equals and peers want to see. The appeal is there though due to the ever suffocating growth of reality television. People want to show us their own "Diary Room" or how stupid they can be. It's incredible really but what is more incredible is that people want to pay for it!*

*What is even more incredible than that, is i've just spent 5mins talking about it!

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
blah blah

Ignore
« Reply #28952 on: Tuesday, September 11, 2018, 08:34:32 »

When you see why, it's trivial but so annoying.

OK, I've looked at this 2 or 3 times now, and still cant see anything. Give us a clue....
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #28953 on: Tuesday, September 11, 2018, 08:55:07 »

*Engaging grumpy old twat mode* if they have the ability to obtain a degree one would expect them to have the ability to write coherently?

Seriously though, over the last couple of years, I have employed a couple of grads and been genuinely shocked at their inability to write reports or even a letter in a correct format (things like the use of sincerely, faithfully etc), I know during our time at university whilst, if I am honest, the course had very little practical relationship to the later employment requirements we were at least taught how to write things?

Then again I have also worked in places with designated PR Officers, in both cases ex journalists and in both cases every press release had to be essentially rewritten each time to make sense!

I know my grammar is shite, but we were never really taught that at school and I have always worked on the principle that if you cannot work out for yourself when to breath whilst reading, you should probably not leave the house alone....  Grin

Aren't Policeman looking young these days.....  Wink
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #28954 on: Tuesday, September 11, 2018, 09:07:41 »

Don't know, been ages since I last saw one in Swindon...
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #28955 on: Tuesday, September 11, 2018, 09:42:43 »

*Engaging grumpy old twat mode* if they have the ability to obtain a degree one would expect them to have the ability to write coherently?

maybe it's just that we are getting older !.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #28956 on: Tuesday, September 11, 2018, 11:43:19 »

OK, I've looked at this 2 or 3 times now, and still cant see anything. Give us a clue....

Number of fixtures/results.

'Incessant Nonsense'

Barry Scott

« Reply #28957 on: Tuesday, September 11, 2018, 11:52:09 »

It’s only displaying 6 of the 7. Click the link that says view all 7 and you see all 7. Is that not the case?  

The exact same thing is visible on the football page at the bbc now.
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #28958 on: Tuesday, September 11, 2018, 11:59:10 »

It’s only displaying 6 of the 7. Click the link that says view all 7 and you see all 7. Is that not the case?  

The exact same thing is visible on the football page at the bbc now.

That's my point. Why have another link to click on when there is only one more result to display? Just list the other one there with the hyperlink to that match, like the rest. If there was 10 then fine "show all 10". Even then I'd have that to drop down rather than just linking to the results/fixtures page. To me that's rather lazy Smiley

Each to their own I guess.

'Incessant Nonsense'

Barry Scott

« Reply #28959 on: Tuesday, September 11, 2018, 12:07:19 »

That's my point. Why have another link to click on when there is only one more result to display? Just list the other one there with the hyperlink to that match, like the rest. If there was 10 then fine "show all 10". Even then I'd have that to drop down rather than just linking to the results/fixtures page. To me that's rather lazy Smiley

Each to their own I guess.

Ok, gotcha. It’s dynamic and probably just displaying a simple database query though. I’d say there’s likely only space in the front end for 6, and although it says to view all 7, that number is dynamic and changes depending on the result of the number of matches it gets from querying the database, less 6.
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #28960 on: Tuesday, September 11, 2018, 12:17:45 »

Ok, gotcha. It’s dynamic and probably just displaying a simple database query though. I’d say there’s likely only space in the front end for 6, and although it says to view all 7, that number is dynamic and changes depending on the result of the number of matches it gets from querying the database, less 6.

Was going to mention something parameter based. However why not have a expanded/drop down so you can see more results. The "see more" link just makes it clunky and like it's been put together by people with very limited funds...oh wait. Crash

'Incessant Nonsense'

swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #28961 on: Tuesday, September 11, 2018, 17:16:08 »

Bastards in Frome who threw a Lucher approx. 4/5 months old into a stream and drowned it.
Poor mite,  tied up in a bag  which was weighted down with gravel, and can you believe,  angle grinders and mobile phones.
Hope they catch whoever is responsible,  but, if they do,  you know as well as I do,  the worst they would do is ban them from keeping pets.  Makes my blood boil.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #28962 on: Tuesday, September 11, 2018, 19:24:37 »

Possibly the wrong thread but worth a shout. My gas meter number (MPRN) is registered to my address but the post code is incorrect. I found this out when trying to switch suppliers recently which won’t happen until the authority who look after the register of said meters changes it. Now BG have to do this by notifying the authority to administer the register, clearly there is no urgency on BG’s Part as i’m leaving them. So how do I contact the authority who hold and administer the register of meters?
« Last Edit: Tuesday, September 11, 2018, 19:47:55 by Legends-Lounge » Logged
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #28963 on: Tuesday, September 11, 2018, 19:28:17 »

Wales & West Utilities?  They were involved when our pipes feeding the house needed changing a few years back.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #28964 on: Tuesday, September 11, 2018, 19:37:03 »

Bastards in Frome who threw a Lucher approx. 4/5 months old into a stream and drowned it.
Poor mite,  tied up in a bag  which was weighted down with gravel, and can you believe,  angle grinders and mobile phones.
Hope they catch whoever is responsible,  but, if they do,  you know as well as I do,  the worst they would do is ban them from keeping pets.  Makes my blood boil.
You would think that such a display of sadism should at least make them go on an "abusers list" and whatever CRB checks are called these days. 

Would personally prefer a more medieval remedy.
Pages: 1 ... 1928 1929 1930 [1931] 1932 1933 1934 ... 2656   Go Up
Print
Jump to: