Pages: 1 ... 1884 1885 1886 [1887] 1888 1889 1890 ... 2655   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Trivial things you don't understand/mildly annoy you  (Read 5047442 times)
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #28290 on: Monday, June 11, 2018, 19:35:09 »

Does it work on another device connected to that network?
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #28291 on: Tuesday, June 12, 2018, 08:32:18 »

Parents trying to ban a game because they can't do their own job of parenting.

Im sure most of the "cools kids" on here have heard of Fortnite. I've never played it but apparently is the bees knee's in the gaming circle.
Over the past few days i have read a number f news articles where parents are calling for the game to be banned for it is too addictive and their kids are turning into zombies.

NO! Big fucking NO! Start doing your fucking jobs as parents and start paying attention to what your kids are doing.
I know its harder these days, when i was a kid, i didn't have my own tv in my room, or a tablet or a smart phone. We had one TV and i was allowed to play on the master system or mega drive once i had done all my homework and choirs.

It frustrates me, because i have a 13 year old nephew, and since the age of 11/12 he talks about how he mates play games like COD, and other PEGI 18 rated games.
I understand that Fortnite is a PEGI 12 rated game which in hindsight is maybe too low but that doesn't take the responsibility away from the parents.

Rant Over
DarloSTFC84

Twittah.. @DarloJAG84

Ignore
« Reply #28292 on: Tuesday, June 12, 2018, 08:38:47 »

Im sure most of the "cools kids" on here have heard of Fortnite. I've never played it but apparently is the bees knee's in the gaming circle.
Over the past few days i have read a number f news articles where parents are calling for the game to be banned for it is too addictive and their kids are turning into zombies.

NO! Big fucking NO! Start doing your fucking jobs as parents and start paying attention to what your kids are doing.
I know its harder these days, when i was a kid, i didn't have my own tv in my room, or a tablet or a smart phone. We had one TV and i was allowed to play on the master system or mega drive once i had done all my homework and choirs.

It frustrates me, because i have a 13 year old nephew, and since the age of 11/12 he talks about how he mates play games like COD, and other PEGI 18 rated games.
I understand that Fortnite is a PEGI 12 rated game which in hindsight is maybe too low but that doesn't take the responsibility away from the parents.

Rant Over

Totally agree.. plus Fortnite is a load of shit, don't get the appeal whatsoever.

Roaming the land while you sleep..
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #28293 on: Tuesday, June 12, 2018, 08:46:35 »

Rant Over

I agree. On the other hand, I always said I would never buy the kids a tablet or let them use one whilst they were young. I have bought my 6 year old a childs amazon fire for her 7th bday.

It's all about context. They hardly watch TV, and prefer to play outside, but they are also allowed time on my ipad. I despise adults who allow their kids on tablets when out for a meal. This should be family time and there is always something to do/discuss/play ispy.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #28294 on: Tuesday, June 12, 2018, 08:57:09 »

I agree. On the other hand, I always said I would never buy the kids a tablet or let them use one whilst they were young. I have bought my 6 year old a childs amazon fire for her 7th bday.

It's all about context. They hardly watch TV, and prefer to play outside, but they are also allowed time on my ipad. I despise adults who allow their kids on tablets when out for a meal. This should be family time and there is always something to do/discuss/play ispy.

I fully see your point. Before having children i was always judgmental and constantly found myself saying things like "oh when i have children you wont find me letting them do this or that" or "my child is not going to have one of those until they are xxx". You find that until that time comes, you really don't know how you will act. My eldest is nearly 5 and starting school in September so things like "i want a xxxx because Toby has one" will start coming thick and fast.

TV can sometimes be a godsend when you want to do something without them hanging of your leg but its all in moderation and that's where in my opinion most parents fail. I'm not saying me and my wife are perfect, far from it but when parents are blaming a game rather than themselves over situations like i mentioned above, its pure delusion.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #28295 on: Tuesday, June 12, 2018, 09:01:52 »

Completely agree
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #28296 on: Tuesday, June 12, 2018, 09:07:17 »

I get that its a bit tricky to set up for technophobes, but XBOX allows fairly simple screen time limits for online play.

The issue comes for standalone play and preventing kids creating second accounts (do-able). But that's your point, out of sight out of mind is a bit easy - and I've been guilty of that on occasion myself.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #28297 on: Tuesday, June 12, 2018, 09:10:17 »

Limit technology time, set the rules in advance. Kid's get shitty, technology ban. It ain't hard.
Flashheart

« Reply #28298 on: Tuesday, June 12, 2018, 09:11:06 »

There's actually a lot of benefits to gaming, physically, mentally and socially. Particularly in young kids as they are developing their skills and what not. That some people don't enjoy it as a past time themselves, or that gaming was not around when they were kids, does not necessarily make it wrong. I imagine a lot of these same people complaining would vegetate in front of the TV a lot of the time. That's OK, though, for some reason.

It's all about balance though, of course. It's obviously not healthy for kids to be gaming ALL of the time. They need physical exertion and direct interaction with other kids. Blaming it all on the games and not accepting any responsibility yourself, though, is just lazy.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #28299 on: Tuesday, June 12, 2018, 09:16:20 »

I get that its a bit tricky to set up for technophobes, but XBOX allows fairly simple screen time limits for online play.
Even simpler, know what your kids are doing and agree what they can do and when. Don't rely on the tech to do your parenting for you (that's people generally, obvs, not you personally Batch)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #28300 on: Tuesday, June 12, 2018, 09:17:16 »

Get them playing Granny's Garden. 

Who remembers the classic TEF threads of JFW loving fB's, Granny's Garden graphic stuff?  Then the avatar of the witch flying around zapping the Murray John Tower.  Smiley
DarloSTFC84

Twittah.. @DarloJAG84

Ignore
« Reply #28301 on: Tuesday, June 12, 2018, 09:18:40 »

There's actually a lot of benefits to gaming, physically, mentally and socially. Particularly in young kids as they are developing their skills and what not. That some people don't enjoy it as a past time themselves, or that gaming was not around when they were kids, does not necessarily make it wrong. I imagine a lot of these same people complaining would vegetate in front of the TV a lot of the time. That's OK, though, for some reason.

It's all about balance though, of course. It's obviously not healthy for kids to be gaming ALL of the time. They need physical exertion and direct interaction with other kids. Blaming it all on the games and not accepting any responsibility yourself, though, is just lazy.

I agree with this. My son (7) is starting to become interested in playing FIFA (depressingly), but 3-4 games is about his limit, he then wants to go out and play football.

I embrace him playing the odd game but I love that he wants to go out and play. I hope this continues.

Rain or shine, I'd rather be out playing football with him and showcasing my immense ability over having him play the Xbox.

Roaming the land while you sleep..
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #28302 on: Tuesday, June 12, 2018, 11:27:40 »

Even simpler, know what your kids are doing and agree what they can do and when. Don't rely on the tech to do your parenting for you (that's people generally, obvs, not you personally Batch)

No, it is me personally!! But at some point they get old enough to be left on their own for a bit, and what they do and should be doing diverge somewhat.

RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #28303 on: Tuesday, June 12, 2018, 13:27:22 »

I also can't see the point in banning things that will be the cornerstone of their development and careers.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #28304 on: Tuesday, June 12, 2018, 15:34:00 »

Davina McCall has got an Adams Apple. Wtf, is that about?
Pages: 1 ... 1884 1885 1886 [1887] 1888 1889 1890 ... 2655   Go Up
Print
Jump to: