Pages: 1 ... 1866 1867 1868 [1869] 1870 1871 1872 ... 2656   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Trivial things you don't understand/mildly annoy you  (Read 5081472 times)
Flashheart

« Reply #28020 on: Thursday, May 3, 2018, 16:13:01 »

Mother Brown

Ignore
« Reply #28021 on: Thursday, May 3, 2018, 21:02:29 »

I frightened them off  Smiley They were screeching at each other, then ran off in different directions.
Perhaps it was the Leicester baby squad ?
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #28022 on: Friday, May 4, 2018, 09:04:30 »

Perhaps it was the Leicester baby squad ?
Smiley
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #28023 on: Friday, May 4, 2018, 18:14:46 »

Massive respect to you by the way for getting involved with prisoners/their families.

Takk Smiley

That sounds incredibly interesting. Some people just cannot be rehabilitated but there are some amazing stories of people that have and I always think that there is a more positive outcome from these scenarios. A lot of people won't or don't care to understand that and believe someone should just rot in jail. However, that does no one any good at all. I know many will disagree but rehabilitation is paramount to any slice of good to come from something so bad.

Absolutely, the partner of the lad was in a lot of my classes at secondary school, the likelihood is she will have to resettle somewhere else now because in this particular case, it was the friends of the victim who goaded the defendant. Knowing the area they are from, a retaliation would certainly be highly possible. Even though the victims wife has been quoted as saying she is happy that justice has been done and they can help put some closure for everyone. It was just extremely unfortunate that the legal nemesis 'alcohol' was party to this incident and the resulting outcome was the worst possible.

I have to believe everyone can be rehabilitated, some people are just tougher nuts to crack!
In fact I may have told Jed to give Ranger another chance..

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #28024 on: Friday, May 4, 2018, 18:34:02 »

Ells, on a sort of similar level with regards to family and the accused.

I went to school with someone who was falsely accused of manslaughter. He was arrested at university during a lecture, shown all over the local paper and news.
I knew it was never him, quietest lad I’ve ever met and harmless.
Couple of months later charges were dropped, and another bloke was charged and sent down at court.

How does a family deal with that?
Flashheart

« Reply #28025 on: Friday, May 4, 2018, 19:00:30 »

An uncle of mine was (falsely) accused of sexual assault against his wife and daughter. His daughter was a toddler at the time. It was revenge because they'd split up (or something like that).

It destroyed his life. He spent x number of years in a halfway house down on the coast somewhere before he was eventually acquitted. He was afraid to see his own daughter in private after that. He insisted on only being with her in public places and never alone. He died a couple of years ago aged 50-ish. He wasn't one to take care of himself anyway, but we're in little doubt the episode took its toll

Anyway... The day following his arrest the adver had his face on the front page under a big header *CHILD ABUSER*, or something to that effect. No waiting for a trial or anything like that. It's one of many seeds that helped develop my utter contempt for the press.

One morning, my Nan woke to find the smell of gas. It turned out that somebody had tried to drill through the gas pipe outside her house. There were kids in the house at the time. The police noted how lucky it was that sparks from the drill didn't trigger an explosion at the time. They knew who it was (friends/family of the accuser) and read them the riot act. My Nan (a completely innocent and elderly women) faced all sorts of threats and harassment.

Even if my uncle was guilty, there was no fucking way my Nan deserved that. Even the value of the lives of young kids living in the house were disregarded. There's some fucking idiots out there.
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #28026 on: Friday, May 4, 2018, 19:21:17 »

Which is exactly one of the things wrong with the justice system.

We are very quick to plaster people who are charged over the press/social media etc.

People shouldn’t be named until they are found guilty. Why are the victims allowed to be annonymous but people who are charged allowed to be named before a verdict.
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #28027 on: Friday, May 4, 2018, 19:36:37 »

I’d say it annoys me, not surprises me. Accused can be named but the victim can be kept anonymous regardless of an outcome.

On the flip side, if you are found guilty and do time, you shouldn’t be given a new identity when released.
Flashheart

« Reply #28028 on: Friday, May 4, 2018, 19:39:24 »

I accidentally deleted the comment you're replying to there. But, yeah, it is annoying that the accused can be named before being found guilty.
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #28029 on: Friday, May 4, 2018, 21:26:58 »

On the flip side, if you are found guilty and do time, you shouldn’t be given a new identity when released.

What about the families then? Do they suddenly not matter just because the person is guilty? They're still innocent.

Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #28030 on: Friday, May 4, 2018, 21:49:25 »

What about the families then? Do they suddenly not matter just because the person is guilty? They're still innocent.
Yes, course they do.
I would like to you respond to my whole post though (and Flashearts) rather than just that bit. I’d genuinely love your view with you working close to people like that.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #28031 on: Friday, May 4, 2018, 22:30:46 »

I’d say it annoys me, not surprises me. Accused can be named but the victim can be kept anonymous regardless of an outcome.
TBF, I think that (victim anonymity) only applies in sexual cases, as there is deemed to be an element of shame attached to being a victim of that category of crime. Otherwise both alleged victims and alleged perpetrators are named in court, as part of the long established principle of justice not just being done but being seen to be done. In sexual cases, the police have argued to continue the discrepancy because they claim that it can encourage other potential victims to come forward
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #28032 on: Monday, May 7, 2018, 22:14:54 »

I've never been in a position to work with the falsely accused, unless you consider the numerous people I've met who say they're innocent! When working with family/prisoner rehabilitation the crime they've committed was never of primary importance to me. When you work with prisoners, you work with the belief that they have received their punishment and are serving their time accordingly. Your job is not to judge or punish anymore; that's been done and is thankfully not how our system works.

How do the family cope? I've no idea tbh, it takes a lot of strength, courage and support. That's a horrible story from FH and I fully agree that anonymity should be granted for the accused as well as the accusers.

Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #28033 on: Tuesday, May 8, 2018, 10:34:08 »

Sure they were scrapping, they can be very vocal lovers!

Pretty sure there was a feline gang-bang outside my house last night.
Barry Scott

« Reply #28034 on: Thursday, May 10, 2018, 08:33:16 »

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/16213736.Swindon_Pride_2018_cancelled_for_lack_of_volunteers/?ref=mmsp#comments-anchor

Swindon Pride cancelled. That’s not my issue, it’s the comments. Fuck my arse.
Pages: 1 ... 1866 1867 1868 [1869] 1870 1871 1872 ... 2656   Go Up
Print
Jump to: