Pages: 1 ... 1845 1846 1847 [1848] 1849 1850 1851 ... 2655   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Trivial things you don't understand/mildly annoy you  (Read 5046753 times)
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #27705 on: Thursday, March 8, 2018, 14:01:14 »

I'm led to believe that's just a temporary thing until the full work is completed. When finalised, from L to R it should be M4 East, Wroughton, RWB/M4 West, M4 West. I could be wrong though.

At the moment the timing is out and traffic out of Swindon heading toward Wroughton & RWB doesn't flow. When one light goes green, the other further on the roundabout stays red for too long.

This morning the traffic was queued from J16 right back to Blagrove Roundabout, so my trick is to go through Blagrove industrial estate and re-join by the VW dealership. Cuts out around 10-15 minutes of queuing.

I work at blagrove and its amazing how few people you see doing this.

What annoys me, is when people people block the blagrove roundabout so no one can get out.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #27706 on: Thursday, March 8, 2018, 14:05:52 »

Pet hate. Picked my Cheltenham tickets this morning and the car park was littered with crap chucked out of the taxis that loiter there waiting for a trick.

We went for a short break in the Netherlands during half term last month.  Much cheaper to drive over.  The place we stayed at on the coast was just 4 hrs from Calais.

When you make a journey like that by road, the contrast between the countries you visit is very marked.  And I returned from the trip, sadly, to reflect on what a dirty, shabby and dilapidated country we live in.  The litter problem that exists here simply doesn't exist elsewhere in western Europe...and I don't know why.

The Netherlands, in particular, fills you with a feeling that the people who live there care about where they live.  There is next to no litter.  Roads are well-paved...and well engineered.  The Dutch motorway network is light years ahead of ours in terms of both design and capacity.  Gardens are, on the whole, well-tended and rarely paved over.  Grass verges are neat and well-maintained.  We've been over on the ferry twice during the last 6-7 months and, both times, I've arrived back at Dover with a sinking heart.

I'm not sure why we put up with/accept living like this, and our near neighbours (other than Belgium, which also feels v shabby & unloved in places) don't.  Is it austerity, or do people here just not care?  Probably a mix of the two.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #27707 on: Thursday, March 8, 2018, 14:09:09 »

Dutch women are fit too
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #27708 on: Thursday, March 8, 2018, 14:25:48 »

We went for a short break in the Netherlands during half term last month.  Much cheaper to drive over.  The place we stayed at on the coast was just 4 hrs from Calais.

When you make a journey like that by road, the contrast between the countries you visit is very marked.  And I returned from the trip, sadly, to reflect on what a dirty, shabby and dilapidated country we live in.  The litter problem that exists here simply doesn't exist elsewhere in western Europe...and I don't know why.

The Netherlands, in particular, fills you with a feeling that the people who live there care about where they live.  There is next to no litter.  Roads are well-paved...and well engineered.  The Dutch motorway network is light years ahead of ours in terms of both design and capacity.  Gardens are, on the whole, well-tended and rarely paved over.  Grass verges are neat and well-maintained.  We've been over on the ferry twice during the last 6-7 months and, both times, I've arrived back at Dover with a sinking heart.

I'm not sure why we put up with/accept living like this, and our near neighbours (other than Belgium, which also feels v shabby & unloved in places) don't.  Is it austerity, or do people here just not care?  Probably a mix of the two.

The Netherlands is a unique place in European terms, mainly because so much of it has been reclaimed, and is thus a fragile environment.... I'm sure the average Dutch person is fairly clued up on how much of their land will be lost by even small rises in sea level.  This makes them a bit neurotic, slightly OCD if you like.  There they'll know, if you pave gardens or open spaces pointlessly, you'll cause flooding.

The collective neuroses of the Belgians, are on a different scale altogether....fundamentally existential, as shown in the art of Rene Magritte.
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #27709 on: Thursday, March 8, 2018, 14:27:03 »

Dutch women are fit too
second this.

I pop over to out office in Amsterdam a couple of times a year and its always a pleasure.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #27710 on: Thursday, March 8, 2018, 14:34:13 »

My nephew married a Dutchlander recently, she was a Captain in the Dutch Army, tall and blonde as many over there seem to be, we are going over to South Holland for a week in August this year.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #27711 on: Thursday, March 8, 2018, 14:38:31 »

Off cycling in Holland and Belgium in May, its brill!

Just generally cool people with a more sensible outlook on life.... Although constantly being laughed at for Brexit does get a bit tedious after a while...
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #27712 on: Thursday, March 8, 2018, 14:42:44 »

We went for a short break in the Netherlands during half term last month.  Much cheaper to drive over.  The place we stayed at on the coast was just 4 hrs from Calais.

When you make a journey like that by road, the contrast between the countries you visit is very marked.  And I returned from the trip, sadly, to reflect on what a dirty, shabby and dilapidated country we live in.  The litter problem that exists here simply doesn't exist elsewhere in western Europe...and I don't know why.

The Netherlands, in particular, fills you with a feeling that the people who live there care about where they live.  There is next to no litter.  Roads are well-paved...and well engineered.  The Dutch motorway network is light years ahead of ours in terms of both design and capacity.  Gardens are, on the whole, well-tended and rarely paved over.  Grass verges are neat and well-maintained.  We've been over on the ferry twice during the last 6-7 months and, both times, I've arrived back at Dover with a sinking heart.

I'm not sure why we put up with/accept living like this, and our near neighbours (other than Belgium, which also feels v shabby & unloved in places) don't.  Is it austerity, or do people here just not care?  Probably a mix of the two.

This is something I noticed when I returned last April, everything felt and looked dirty -  and to be honest I hadn't appreciated that until living over here.  That's not to say somewhere like New York isn't going to look exactly the same as London, but the smaller cities and Towns do seem to be well maintained.

Part of that is the suburbs come with heavy rules and restrictions - odd for the land of the free.  Where I live is very Stepford Wives style, and we got a nitce last year through our door that we needed to sort out some weeds!

The City itself is very clean though and well maintained in the public spaces.  For a start, our litter and recycling is picked-up once a week, the grass is cut every other day it seems in summer and if you get caught speeding around ere you might find 3 cop cars on you within a few minutes.  On the flip side, I don't see many bins around, so clearly they either keep hold of rubbish or cleaning elves come out at night.
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #27713 on: Thursday, March 8, 2018, 18:40:08 »

My nephew married a Dutchlander recently, she was a Captain in the Dutch Army, tall and blonde as many over there seem to be, we are going over to South Holland for a week in August this year.

Double check you're not going to Lincolnshire.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #27714 on: Thursday, March 8, 2018, 21:14:53 »

Double check you're not going to Lincolnshire.

If you end up in the wrong South Holland give me a shout Smiley
Peter Venkman

« Reply #27715 on: Friday, March 9, 2018, 09:06:48 »

If you end up in the wrong South Holland give me a shout Smiley
Cheesy no luckily we have booked up at a place called Heerlen about 25 miles west of Koln, never driven abroad so it will be an experience, we are taking the Dover to Dunkirk ferry and staying a few nights in Ghent too.

horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #27716 on: Friday, March 9, 2018, 09:17:45 »

Cheesy no luckily we have booked up at a place called Heerlen about 25 miles west of Koln, never driven abroad so it will be an experience, we are taking the Dover to Dunkirk ferry and staying a few nights in Ghent too.

Ghent's great if you like the beer! Driving should be fine as they seem fairly sensible, my first overseas driving experience was Italy, now that was a giggle!
Peter Venkman

« Reply #27717 on: Friday, March 9, 2018, 09:21:24 »

Ghent's great if you like the beer! Driving should be fine as they seem fairly sensible, my first overseas driving experience was Italy, now that was a giggle!
Italy next year is my next plan IF and only if I get on with driving abroad as I am not allowed to fly for another couple of years at least.

And yes I do love beer, we spent a week in Brussels and that was damn good for beer too!

Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #27718 on: Friday, March 9, 2018, 12:14:02 »

Snapping my Achilles in my left leg. Almost in the identical way when I did my right one about 10 years ago playing football.

Means I miss the Cheltenham game tomorrow so silver linings! Smiley

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #27719 on: Friday, March 9, 2018, 12:29:28 »

ouch! proper snap? sounds horrific.
Pages: 1 ... 1845 1846 1847 [1848] 1849 1850 1851 ... 2655   Go Up
Print
Jump to: