Pages: 1 ... 1842 1843 1844 [1845] 1846 1847 1848 ... 2656   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Trivial things you don't understand/mildly annoy you  (Read 5083852 times)
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #27660 on: Friday, March 2, 2018, 13:07:15 »

IIRC, under -5 gritting will not dissolve snow and ice. Now I don’t know about any of you lot but with the windchill of up to -15 is it any surprise that this whitestuff has not magically disappeared. Add in the drifting factor and people’s propensity to rightly drive on the left, the outside lanes on dual or motorways quickly become obliterated adding to the illusion that those FUCKING LAZY UNIONISED COMMUNISTS at the local council have DONE FUCK ALL. When I fact they’ve been working there arses off all night, except outside your house 😂
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #27661 on: Friday, March 2, 2018, 13:15:10 »

spot on, our grit/salt mix is good to about -5

air temp was about -3 last night... ground temp though...?

guess the rate of snowfall is also a factor
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #27662 on: Friday, March 2, 2018, 13:27:23 »

IIRC, under -5 gritting will not dissolve snow and ice. Now I don’t know about any of you lot but with the windchill of up to -15 is it any surprise that this whitestuff has not magically disappeared. Add in the drifting factor and people’s propensity to rightly drive on the left, the outside lanes on dual or motorways quickly become obliterated adding to the illusion that those FUCKING LAZY UNIONISED COMMUNISTS at the local council have DONE FUCK ALL. When I fact they’ve been working there arses off all night, except outside your house 😂
1) Don't expect it to be gritted outside my house - I was complaining about the main roads out of town to the M4/hospital which I do expect to be gritted
2) It hadn't been done yesterday afternoon so overnight doesn't come into it (in fact I explicitly said it DID seem to have been done overnight)
3) People coming in from Ciren/Gloucs/Newbury way yesterday all said their journeys were fine until they got to Swindon which clearly hadn't been gritted.

I agree it looks like they pulled their fingers out over night. But the snow was falling all day yesterday. Something everyone knew was going to happen as it had been heavily trailed all week by the national media, but apparently took Perkins' mob by surprise.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #27663 on: Friday, March 2, 2018, 13:40:04 »

1) Don't expect it to be gritted outside my house - I was complaining about the main roads out of town to the M4/hospital which I do expect to be gritted
2) It hadn't been done yesterday afternoon so overnight doesn't come into it (in fact I explicitly said it DID seem to have been done overnight)
3) People coming in from Ciren/Gloucs/Newbury way yesterday all said their journeys were fine until they got to Swindon which clearly hadn't been gritted.

I agree it looks like they pulled their fingers out over night. But the snow was falling all day yesterday. Something everyone knew was going to happen as it had been heavily trailed all week by the national media, but apparently took Perkins' mob by surprise.

I still feel you’re being a bit unreasonable, with the gritting depot right by JCT15 I seriously doubt that the road to the Hospital hadn’t been gritted my Mrs has been in and of the GWH in the last few days as her old chap is there. Indeed i’m Having great fun on this site from the top floor of said GWH as we correspond. I think you need to try and accept or understand that the roads had been gritted during the day but the pervading temperature allowed the snow to accumulate on top. I expect the main arterial roads like 419/7 & M4 had snow ploughs on them also which would have helped.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #27664 on: Friday, March 2, 2018, 15:03:53 »

How can it be that Ofsted can give a school an outstanding rating, in this case an Islamic school in East London then soon after a terrorist alert reveals an effort to radicalise hundreds its boys  Hmmm
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #27665 on: Friday, March 2, 2018, 15:09:22 »

How can it be that Ofsted can give a school an outstanding rating, in this case an Islamic school in East London then soon after a terrorist alert reveals an effort to radicalise hundreds its boys  Hmmm
Well, this is just a guess, but maybe he suspended the radicalisation while Ofsted were there? They're fucking school inspectors, not MI5
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #27666 on: Friday, March 2, 2018, 15:28:51 »

Yet another shooting at Michigan State University
michael
The Dude Abides

Ignore
« Reply #27667 on: Friday, March 2, 2018, 15:34:59 »

Why do divers enter the water backwards?

So that entry into the water doesn't dislodge the goggle-mask thing.

I followed a gritter through Wichelstowe yesterday afternoon at circa 1600 hours.
Christy

Ignore
« Reply #27668 on: Friday, March 2, 2018, 22:49:49 »

I'm delighted to be able to dive in backwards to the gritting discussion.

Yesterday, in a mixed act of community mindedness and pure selfishness, I took to the recently installed grit bin close to my home, and set to work on the quiet road.

Imagine my pride when a few shovel worths sliced through the snow, and restored the surface to a beautiful wet, mucky mess, ideal for drivers of all persuasions.

For the next couple of hours, I periodically looked out of the window, checking my fine effort and nodding knowlingly: a job well done indeed.  Citizen of the Year surely in the bag at last.

Then it started proper snowing, and all my living days, my effort was, alas, soon forgotten.

In short, gritting works for a bit, and then maybe it doesn't.

I might try again tomorrow.

Ignore
« Reply #27669 on: Sunday, March 4, 2018, 00:02:37 »

When people you knew years ago blank you when you see them later on. You know, the awkward look away thing.I think we've all encountered that. I've had people request me on Facebook then do that. Mad.
The flip of that is people you weren't particularly close to, but chat for ages when your paths cross.  That's nice.

Then you have the times when you are in the company of someone you knew well but there's just nothing there anymore. Awkward as fuck. Again the flip of that is the people you don't see much but when you do it's just nice and easy and conversation flows. You catch up and feel at ease. Fucking strange race are we.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #27670 on: Sunday, March 4, 2018, 00:10:06 »

I knew a couple from school days, he chats and is friendly, she doesn't. Doesn't bother me, she's not important  Smiley
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #27671 on: Sunday, March 4, 2018, 01:53:01 »

I like to meet new people...something I learned from a very young age, was friendships don't last. Despite Brexit there are still open minded people out there.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #27672 on: Sunday, March 4, 2018, 08:50:12 »

When people you knew years ago blank you when you see them later on. You know, the awkward look away thing.I think we've all encountered that. I've had people request me on Facebook then do that. Mad.
The flip of that is people you weren't particularly close to, but chat for ages when your paths cross.  That's nice.

Then you have the times when you are in the company of someone you knew well but there's just nothing there anymore. Awkward as fuck. Again the flip of that is the people you don't see much but when you do it's just nice and easy and conversation flows. You catch up and feel at ease. Fucking strange race are we.

Haha this. I had someone that i never sooke to at school try to add ne on facebook, then when i saw then in the street they came over all matey, shaking my hand and that asking what i was doing with myself these days. I juat said yiu never psoke to me at school, why are you talking to me now?

Also people that get arsey and ask why  you didnt accept their friend request, erm its because i dont like you pal
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #27673 on: Sunday, March 4, 2018, 15:18:23 »

I think it's just a common aspect of growing up really. There are many people I was friends with during education that, after seeing them still get absolutely wankered at every opportunity and are unashamedly racist, I just don't wish to share friendship with them. It's all about what directions we choose to take and everyone is "doing their thing" so time gets lost. On the flip of that, I have two true best friends, from totally different backgrounds. One a friend from 6 years old and we're still great mates. Even if we don't see each other for ages, we basically pick up a conversation where we left off. It may also have a lot to do with us being of the very few in our 30s that aren't married and have no children (yet, or that I know of Smiley ). Interesingly though, many of the "kids" of my generation have all either remarried and have kids they don't get to see/walked away. That's not a social thing either, I've noticed it across  societal "classes" with different friends. Those that were up their own arse and proclaimed they'll never enter a loveless marriage or be a single parent (because you know, they're way too posh for that), are indeed that today.

Of course there is nothing wrong with that, if that is the life you choose; if you're comfortable and happy with it then no one else can judge your own relative level of happiness. So long as it's true.

Humans are a strange race but also interesting one at that.

As Reg said though, it's great to meet new people too. The best thing is, even the most boring person has got a story to tell. All we need to do is listen more.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #27674 on: Sunday, March 4, 2018, 22:03:15 »

Humans are a strange race* but also interesting one at that.
*species

The best thing is, even the most boring person has got a story to tell.
In my experience, it's especially the most boring ones. The trick is getting them not to tell it. Or leaving before they do.
Pages: 1 ... 1842 1843 1844 [1845] 1846 1847 1848 ... 2656   Go Up
Print
Jump to: