Pages: 1 ... 1723 1724 1725 [1726] 1727 1728 1729 ... 2656   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Trivial things you don't understand/mildly annoy you  (Read 5067654 times)
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #25875 on: Sunday, May 21, 2017, 06:56:10 »

I would disagree with that part totally. I think there are many that have a good "eye" for an image. Yet there are also many that definitely can't.

While I agree with much of the rest I think this boils down to "what the client wants?" generally you get what you pay for. These "mass shoot school photographers" do tend to take the piss a little as in you don't get buggar all for your money and then ramp up the price for prints.

I'm not a pro photographer, i'm an amateur but with a good eye and passion for photography. I have a confidence in my ability and I know my standard is better than many pro's i've researched to develop my own style. Working alongside 3 of my pro photographer friends i'll be 2nd shooter this summer at 3 or 4 shoots. It'll be my first time shooting in a professional environment and while it's scary and i'll probably feel like I haven't got the best gear, I know that I will have much of an idea. I know I can get great results out of my current camera, so that is all that matters to me. It's also a great opportunity to learn and develop my portfolio massively.

Apologies Costanza, I wasn't trying to make this about me. To truly answer, yes there is a place for photographers. I think on the whole as an individual you have to think about what goes into the price. Like when people expect musicians to play a gig for nothing or say £50. There is all the factors; practice, equipment, labour, consultation, marketing etc, etc. The same applies in any trade as i'm sure you know. It's no different in photography and like in trade you get some good, some bad, some cheap, some expensive. Erring on caution most people choose someone in the middle.

There is also a massive difference between being able to just shoot in Auto to being able to shoot in Manual. Real photographers work hard on set/site and many hours of set.

I really don't like these big school photography companies because effectively once they have set up and rigged the lighting, set focus etc, the kids are told to do exactly the same pose, sit in the same spot and they can take four or five frames. I imagine it must sap the creativity from them as the monotony of the job must be a bind. That and I imagine having excellent daycare skills is a bigger factor than being a talented photographer.

I'm sure there will be some that disagree. I'm also sure someone will do this in a more concise way.

Jesus, dude. I was joking.

« Last Edit: Sunday, May 21, 2017, 06:58:06 by Costanza » Logged
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #25876 on: Sunday, May 21, 2017, 07:57:23 »

We had that from our nursery a couple of weeks ago, we had no idea they were doing it, we were just shown the photos after they had been done with the price list.
Must be the same company as the CD was £49 with 8 photos.
That's the one. The bigger blow is we have 3 sets of prints. 1 of each kid and 1 both together. Don't get me wrong the photos are great. We've tried for ages to get photos other the boys together to no avail, but 9 quid for a photo!!!!
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #25877 on: Sunday, May 21, 2017, 09:56:59 »

That's the one. The bigger blow is we have 3 sets of prints. 1 of each kid and 1 both together. Don't get me wrong the photos are great. We've tried for ages to get photos other the boys together to no avail, but 9 quid for a photo!!!!

I don't think £9 for the photo is too bad, it's the £49 for effectively a disc which you get when you do your own now anyway.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #25878 on: Sunday, May 21, 2017, 09:58:12 »

Jesus, dude. I was joking.

So was I, I'm just not as concise.  Pint

'Incessant Nonsense'

Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #25879 on: Sunday, May 21, 2017, 12:13:35 »

I don't think £9 for the photo is too bad, it's the £49 for effectively a disc which you get when you do your own now anyway.
really? I can go to boots and print one for 20p.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #25880 on: Sunday, May 21, 2017, 12:34:21 »

rip off Britain.

about £12 for 4 for download at my youngest school.

about £12 for 2 physical pictures at my eldest.

anyone charging £49 deserves to go out of business
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #25881 on: Sunday, May 21, 2017, 12:39:28 »

really? I can go to boots and print one for 20p.

In comparison to the £49.  Pint

'Incessant Nonsense'

Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #25882 on: Sunday, May 21, 2017, 12:51:42 »

In comparison to the £49.  Pint
especially as I'd have to but 3 of them.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #25883 on: Monday, May 22, 2017, 13:34:21 »

Why is this materially different to a goalkeeping coach eating a pie....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39999708

Bar it obviously being a big club rather than a small one, obviously...
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #25884 on: Monday, May 22, 2017, 15:08:27 »

Very slippery slope that one - what if the agreement had been to let him score, assuming the favour would then be returned, thus influencing huge betting markets on score?  Wonder if he put any money on himself...
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #25885 on: Monday, May 22, 2017, 15:48:58 »

Very slippery slope that one - what if the agreement had been to let him score, assuming the favour would then be returned, thus influencing huge betting markets on score?  Wonder if he put any money on himself...

A fine upstanding gentleman like Mr Terry.....
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #25886 on: Wednesday, May 24, 2017, 08:27:14 »

Our little un's school arranging a school trip at 2 days notice to the next village where we have to take her there and pick her up afterwards and it coinciding with the one day of the year we don't have the car as its being MOT'ed and thus she cannot go with all her friends , cue one very upset and pissed off 4 year old.

The school is great for education but their organisation and admin is totally shit!

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #25887 on: Wednesday, May 24, 2017, 10:31:28 »

Our little un's school arranging a school trip at 2 days notice to the next village where we have to take her there and pick her up afterwards and it coinciding with the one day of the year we don't have the car as its being MOT'ed and thus she cannot go with all her friends , cue one very upset and pissed off 4 year old.

The school is great for education but their organisation and admin is totally shit!

So because your organisation of everyday business isn't up to scratch, it's the school's fault.  Hmmm
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #25888 on: Wednesday, May 24, 2017, 10:55:45 »

So because your organisation of everyday business isn't up to scratch, it's the school's fault.  Hmmm

In what way just out of interest?
Don Rogers Sock

« Reply #25889 on: Wednesday, May 24, 2017, 10:57:14 »

Please tell me that is a wind up
Pages: 1 ... 1723 1724 1725 [1726] 1727 1728 1729 ... 2656   Go Up
Print
Jump to: