Pages: 1 ... 1680 1681 1682 [1683] 1684 1685 1686 ... 2655   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Trivial things you don't understand/mildly annoy you  (Read 5048109 times)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #25230 on: Monday, January 9, 2017, 14:02:31 »

There is something fishy (ooeerr) about that, or alternatively a lot of peoples public hair is considerably longer than mine.....
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #25231 on: Monday, January 9, 2017, 14:42:05 »

There is something fishy (ooeerr) about that, or alternatively a lot of peoples public hair is considerably longer than mine.....

"Merkin ell"  not something I'd want to think about.
Barry Scott

« Reply #25232 on: Tuesday, January 10, 2017, 20:52:00 »

Going back to the last few days of my adventurers in upgrading my PC.

So the cooler doesn't fit the mounting on my mobo and I need a mounting kit. The mounting kit is free from Noctua, for almost all coolers, apart from mine. Cunty.

They sent me a link to Amazon US, the only easy place to buy it, as it's seemingly discontinued and no one in the UK seems to have it.

Amazon.com wanted £49. £38 of that was postage (I think) and as the cooler was a painful £48 initially it's just made me angry at why I didn't revert to type, be a cheap prick and buy the £20 cooler in the first place.

So after trying to bodge a solution - involving hacksawing the old heatsink up, finding short compression springs for the cooler, finding various bolts, nuts and connectors, and spending about a day searching eBay and Amazon for parts to achieve my bodge (all at likely greater expense then the part to solve the problem) I've thrown in the towel, bitten the bullet and found it in Germany for a cost of £18. Sadly my gut says they don't have it - it was the only place outside the US that seems to have it.

I still don't even know if BIOS is going to support the new CPU - I forgot to update it before I removed the old one - and I also don't definitely know if the PC is going to react/work with the new cooler as it has known issues with non-HP components.

Well, at least the RAM worked. Smiley
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #25233 on: Wednesday, January 11, 2017, 15:21:05 »

So the cooler doesn't fit the mounting on my mobo and I need a mounting kit. The mounting kit is free from Noctua, for almost all coolers, apart from mine. Cunty.

They sent me a link to Amazon US, the only easy place to buy it, as it's seemingly discontinued and no one in the UK seems to have it.

Amazon.com wanted £49. £38 of that was postage (I think) and as the cooler was a painful £48 initially it's just made me angry at why I didn't revert to type, be a cheap prick and buy the £20 cooler in the first place.

So after trying to bodge a solution - involving hacksawing the old heatsink up, finding short compression springs for the cooler, finding various bolts, nuts and connectors, and spending about a day searching eBay and Amazon for parts to achieve my bodge (all at likely greater expense then the part to solve the problem) I've thrown in the towel, bitten the bullet and found it in Germany for a cost of £18. Sadly my gut says they don't have it - it was the only place outside the US that seems to have it.

I still don't even know if BIOS is going to support the new CPU - I forgot to update it before I removed the old one - and I also don't definitely know if the PC is going to react/work with the new cooler as it has known issues with non-HP components.

Now I know what it's like for a cat being spoken to by a human.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #25234 on: Wednesday, January 11, 2017, 15:44:29 »

I have shedloads of old coolers here sat in my cupboard there may be a mounting suitable in there, I am guessing by the faff that its an AMD cpu? the only coolers I know I definately don't have is for the Intel 2011.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #25235 on: Wednesday, January 11, 2017, 16:18:07 »

Now I know what it's like for a cat being spoken to by a human.

Yes
Barry Scott

« Reply #25236 on: Wednesday, January 11, 2017, 19:47:03 »

I have shedloads of old coolers here sat in my cupboard there may be a mounting suitable in there, I am guessing by the faff that its an AMD cpu? the only coolers I know I definately don't have is for the Intel 2011.

Thanks, JJ, not AMD, it's a Xeon, LGA1366 with a fitting which not all coolers fit - apparently. Needs some kind of custom backplate or some bollocks, which threads through my back plate's holes to enable the cooler to then fit to this new fitting/mount.

http://noctua.at/en/nm-i3-mounting-kit

The part I ordered form Germany turned out to not be available. Sad

I've sent begging emails to Noctua and they've finally relented and sent me one for €7.80, which is good as the part is supposedly obsolete, yet they still package it with other Xeon (D9L) coolers (link), for my motherboard.

I also ordered some M3 bolts, so if they're the same size allen key as the standard Noctua bolts (it has to fit through small holes on the cooler fins), I'll have that fallback option.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #25237 on: Thursday, January 12, 2017, 08:58:01 »

Wow I don't think I have ever installed a 1366 socket, they are huge aren't they?

I fall back on temporary long thin bolts with meccano style straight braces(wrapped in insulation tape to stop any possible shorting) in a cross shape if all else fails, even if its a temp solution it gets it up and running as long as its finger tight and doesnt bend the struts/motherboard etc to stop connection with the chip backplate/motherboard.

I actually did have one of those I will have a look at the weekend, its a black cross shape plastic arrangement it came as a spare on one of my old coolermaster coolers, I will see what I can find mate.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #25238 on: Thursday, January 12, 2017, 09:55:01 »

Wow I don't think I have ever installed a 1366 socket, they are huge aren't they?

I fall back on temporary long thin bolts with meccano style straight braces(wrapped in insulation tape to stop any possible shorting) in a cross shape if all else fails, even if its a temp solution it gets it up and running as long as its finger tight and doesnt bend the struts/motherboard etc to stop connection with the chip backplate/motherboard.

I actually did have one of those I will have a look at the weekend, its a black cross shape plastic arrangement it came as a spare on one of my old coolermaster coolers, I will see what I can find mate.

Meow? Purr? ;-)

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #25239 on: Thursday, January 12, 2017, 10:23:21 »

Tories giving the go ahead for a tunnel under Stonehenge with associated dualing of the 303.  On the surface, (see what I did there) might seem benign enough, but this is a delicate sacred landscape...now to be ruined  Angry
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #25240 on: Thursday, January 12, 2017, 10:51:16 »

Excellent, lost hours of my life stuck on that shitty bit of road
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #25241 on: Thursday, January 12, 2017, 11:26:17 »

Excellent, lost hours of my life stuck on that shitty bit of road

Ditto. Look on the bright side Reg, at least they'll have plenty of hardcore close by to chuck in. If thats not greener than transporting it in, I dont know what is.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #25242 on: Thursday, January 12, 2017, 11:37:44 »

Ditto. Look on the bright side Reg, at least they'll have plenty of hardcore close by to chuck in. If thats not greener than transporting it in, I dont know what is.

Unfortunately, all road "improvements" ever do is shift the bottle neck somewhere else. 
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #25243 on: Thursday, January 12, 2017, 12:23:21 »

Unfortunately, all road "improvements" ever do is shift the bottle neck somewhere else. 

Have you been up/down the A3 under the Devils Punchbowl? It used to be a real snarler up and down at Haslemere, now straight through the tunnel, and now stuff has started growing back around the tunnel the local are is better off environmentally. Not sure about the shopkeepers, losing all the pass through trade though.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #25244 on: Thursday, January 12, 2017, 12:47:50 »

Have you been up/down the A3 under the Devils Punchbowl? It used to be a real snarler up and down at Haslemere, now straight through the tunnel, and now stuff has started growing back around the tunnel the local are is better off environmentally. Not sure about the shopkeepers, losing all the pass through trade though.

Not since the living on the south coast and then London in the 70's...when I used it a lot, and the A3 was a decent route, getting on it from north London on a Friday night was a bit of a pain, mind.

For sure locally, there can be benefits from by-passes etc but the bottom line is there are too many people and cars, for a small country to cope with, especially in the south of England and around the major midland and norvern conurbations.

Swindon is a particularly fine example of a place where attempts at traffic management "improvement" make things worse.
Pages: 1 ... 1680 1681 1682 [1683] 1684 1685 1686 ... 2655   Go Up
Print
Jump to: