Pages: 1 ... 2290 2291 2292 [2293] 2294 2295 2296 ... 2656   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Trivial things you don't understand/mildly annoy you  (Read 5106510 times)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #34380 on: Friday, March 19, 2021, 11:44:17 »

pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #34381 on: Friday, March 19, 2021, 11:52:17 »

Using 'whasserface' rather than the presenter's surname could perhaps be seen as a microagression.
It possibly could. Whereas in fact, Batch was correct, I couldn't OTTOMH remember her surname because
a) I don't watch breakfast telly
b) She's routinely referred to by her first name only
and
c) I was too lazy to look it up.

Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #34382 on: Friday, March 19, 2021, 12:58:09 »

Without really wanting to make it a debate, micro aggressions can be unintentional - in fact, more often than not they are. Mispronouncing or misremembering a less common ethnic name is quite a frequent example

I’m not saying for one second that it was deliberate or in any way to comment on your character (I’m also not saying that every person of minority would feel offended by it), but it’s been used to me before as an example of a small behaviour that may seem inconsequential in isolation, but forms part of a bigger picture of different cultures not being treated equally. In the example I was given, I was told I would be much more likely to remember the surname were it Smith, or Jones - which is correct. Maybe because being a white Anglo Saxon male I’m conditioned to recognise those names more readily, but that doesn’t necessarily make it correct

During the inequality protests last year there was quite a lot of discussion at work about microagressions being a huge part of the problem that people of colour and other minorities faced, in many ways more so than the more overt, less subtle forms of discrimination. I found it fascinating, it wasn’t something I’d ever really considered before but was really useful in a ‘seeing life through the eyes of others’ perspective

Things get better but they never get good
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #34383 on: Friday, March 19, 2021, 13:09:50 »

Without really wanting to make it a debate, micro aggressions can be unintentional - in fact, more often than not they are. Mispronouncing or misremembering a less common ethnic name is quite a frequent example

I’m not saying for one second that it was deliberate or in any way to comment on your character (I’m also not saying that every person of minority would feel offended by it), but it’s been used to me before as an example of a small behaviour that may seem inconsequential in isolation, but forms part of a bigger picture of different cultures not being treated equally. In the example I was given, I was told I would be much more likely to remember the surname were it Smith, or Jones - which is correct. Maybe because being a white Anglo Saxon male I’m conditioned to recognise those names more readily, but that doesn’t necessarily make it correct

During the inequality protests last year there was quite a lot of discussion at work about microagressions being a huge part of the problem that people of colour and other minorities faced, in many ways more so than the more overt, less subtle forms of discrimination. I found it fascinating, it wasn’t something I’d ever really considered before but was really useful in a ‘seeing life through the eyes of others’ perspective
Yeah, I get that. I just couldn't remember her name and couldn't be arsed to look it up.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #34384 on: Friday, March 19, 2021, 13:11:01 »

There is no issue in not being able to say a persons name you have only just read or heard for the first time, or few times.  Just look at Irish names, you can't get much whiter than Irish and they have names that make no sense when read in the English Phonics.

The issue comes when people treat the inability to say as funny because the other persons name is somehow "odd" - even then I'm pretty sure people should be aware of the context of the situation.  Take Dave - Toumani Diagouraga.  That's the person making light of the issue themselves - should everyone using Dave be targeted as being somehow Racist?

Oddly, due to accent, many locals here can't understand me say Robert.  I have to repeat and slow down.  At Burger King once, after several attempts, the member of staff gave up trying and wrote down Rovuk!  I mean, is that even a name? (turns out it is).
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #34385 on: Friday, March 19, 2021, 13:17:03 »

Good stuff Huw...

https://twitter.com/huwbbc/status/1372889245547954180?s=19
Flashheart

« Reply #34386 on: Friday, March 19, 2021, 13:19:53 »

I didn't remember the bloke's name. I called him 'the TV dude'.

And I still can't be bothered to look him up.

What does that mean?
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #34387 on: Friday, March 19, 2021, 13:22:05 »

What does that mean?

You hate transvestites!
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #34388 on: Friday, March 19, 2021, 13:22:31 »

When I first moved to Ireland I got really stuck with this one for a while

Caoimhe - a girl’s name pronounced queever, which has a lovely ring to it.
chalkies shorts

Ignore
« Reply #34389 on: Friday, March 19, 2021, 13:27:12 »

A few years ago I was sent on an unconscious bias course. I was working for nationwide. The guy who ran it was a truly patronising wanker. I gave up after two comments.
First, another attendees team had been rodgered. His team was full of youngsters and they got spanked by an experienced team. He said it was men against boys. The guy who ran it said you should never use that type of term. I thought it sounded factual.
The other one was about calling ethnic minorities by shortened names. Apparently, they do it fit in, not because they want to be called it. We were told it was being racist to call them by shortened names. Interestingly the person who organised the course, the CEO was Johnson garner aka Joe garner. My wife's name is Angela but wants to be called Ange. I've worked with plenty of ethnic minorities who prefer an anglicised name.
My surname is Irish and it's not an easy one.
Flashheart

« Reply #34390 on: Friday, March 19, 2021, 13:27:46 »

You hate transvestites!

Well, shit!

And to think I'm a Rocky Horror fan. The hatred must have been building up in me without me knowing every time I saw The Time Warp.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #34391 on: Friday, March 19, 2021, 13:41:32 »

A few years ago I was sent on an unconscious bias course. I was working for nationwide. The guy who ran it was a truly patronising wanker. I gave up after two comments.
First, another attendees team had been rodgered. His team was full of youngsters and they got spanked by an experienced team. He said it was men against boys. The guy who ran it said you should never use that type of term. I thought it sounded factual.
The other one was about calling ethnic minorities by shortened names. Apparently, they do it fit in, not because they want to be called it. We were told it was being racist to call them by shortened names. Interestingly the person who organised the course, the CEO was Johnson garner aka Joe garner. My wife's name is Angela but wants to be called Ange. I've worked with plenty of ethnic minorities who prefer an anglicised name.

O'Shorts?
 Smiley I know your surname and I would probably spell it wrong at my first attempt.
Flashheart

« Reply #34392 on: Friday, March 19, 2021, 13:45:31 »

That person has clearly never been to S.E. Asia. It's common for people here to use nicknames. So common that you often don't know their real name.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #34393 on: Friday, March 19, 2021, 13:46:09 »

Quote from: Flashheart

What does that mean?

nothing, because clearly he's white.

only doing that to a non white triggers automatic accusations of racism

and yes I sound like a gammon.

and no I don't really think most people do that
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #34394 on: Friday, March 19, 2021, 13:46:42 »

Welsh patriotism? Well I never.
Pages: 1 ... 2290 2291 2292 [2293] 2294 2295 2296 ... 2656   Go Up