Pages: 1 ... 2208 2209 2210 [2211] 2212 2213 2214 ... 2656   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Trivial things you don't understand/mildly annoy you  (Read 5064328 times)
ibelieveinmrreeves
Should've gone to Specsavers

Ignore
« Reply #33150 on: Thursday, August 13, 2020, 20:20:03 »

I used this website ('bark' - no, I'd never heard of it before either) to get quotes for cleaning the guttering on Monday. Chap rang me, quoted me £70 to just clean out the gutters. Ok, will take it up with the wife. She wants soffits and facias cleaned as well it turns out. Whatever, will wait and see what other quotes I get. This chap rings again Tuesday, twice. Ignored as I had nothing to say to him at that point. He rang again twice this morning, then when he rang in the afternoon I answered - asked him how much to do the whole shebang - £90 and he can do it next week. Decent enough I thought, said I'd get back to him.

Meanwhile, someone else rang, said they could do the job for £70 and they'd be round tomorrow, so took him up on the offer. First bloke then rang me three times in a row, left a voicemail matching that offer. Felt a bit harassed tbh so blocked the number, but have text him to say 'no thanks'. I know business must be sparse at the moment but hounding someone isn't going to help.

Even men with steel hearts love to see a dog on the pitch.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #33151 on: Friday, August 14, 2020, 14:46:23 »

Coming back to the exam results (pendent in me realises they cannot be exam results as no one sat exams but hey ho) this is from May this year and illustrates that the problems were forecast well in advance.

https://www.hepi.ac.uk/2020/05/18/two-and-a-half-cheers-for-ofquals-standardisation-model-just-so-long-as-schools-comply/

Its worth remembering that this shambolic event is down to essentially an algorithm/AI, we don't know who designed this nor what they were paid for it although based on procurement over the last 12 months one could confidently guess they are likely to be a donor to the Tory party.

The leader of this government is very interested in algorithms/AI/data so we must get used to it, it maybe our youngsters now, but don't be too sanguine, remember what the manics told you.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #33152 on: Friday, August 14, 2020, 14:54:42 »

Coming back to the exam results (pendent in me realises they cannot be exam results as no one sat exams but hey ho) this is from May this year and illustrates that the problems were forecast well in advance.

https://www.hepi.ac.uk/2020/05/18/two-and-a-half-cheers-for-ofquals-standardisation-model-just-so-long-as-schools-comply/

Its worth remembering that this shambolic event is down to essentially an algorithm/AI, we don't know who designed this nor what they were paid for it although based on procurement over the last 12 months one could confidently guess they are likely to be a donor to the Tory party.

The leader of this government is very interested in algorithms/AI/data so we must get used to it, it maybe our youngsters now, but don't be too sanguine, remember what the manics told you.

I read something on Twitter (so apologies I don't know how accurate this is) where someone had had their AAB results changed to DDE by the algorithm. That can't be right, Shirley?

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #33153 on: Friday, August 14, 2020, 14:55:25 »

I understand that its less to do with the school as such and more to do with class sizes (although obviously the two are rather linked) insofar as the algorithm that Ofqual use gives more weight to teacher's predicted grades when students are in a smaller cohort.

I mean who could possibly have foreseen that public schools have smaller class sizes and so would disproportionately benefit from this (even more than they already do)?

And much of this whole shit show could have been avoided by the simple expedient of sharing the data with schools a couple of weeks ago to allow them to "pre-appeal" outlier results where students' individual acheivement had been flattened out by the algorithm. But hey who cares about some bright disadvantaged/Northern kids who've worked their bollocks off?

That "levelling up agenda" isn't so much "levelling up" as "Know your place, plebs"
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #33154 on: Friday, August 14, 2020, 14:58:26 »

I read something on Twitter (so apologies I don't know how accurate this is) where someone had had their AAB results changed to DDE by the algorithm. That can't be right, Shirley?
There was a headteacher on the radio this morning who explained that they'd not had many kids take Geography at their school for the past few years and last year one of them got an E. This year they had a more normal size class but because that E had skewed their average, the algorithm dictated that their worst performing B grade pupil had to get an E. Fucking horrendous. As horlock points out, remember PM Cummings is a huge fan of "Big Data" and applied analytics - this is what it looks like in practice.
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #33155 on: Friday, August 14, 2020, 15:55:44 »

I am going to add my opinion reluctantly. These teachers have graded students of whom haven’t ‘logged in’ remotely for 4 months. What the hell have they been doing? Certainly not working.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #33156 on: Friday, August 14, 2020, 16:27:42 »

I am going to add my opinion reluctantly. These teachers have graded students of whom haven’t ‘logged in’ remotely for 4 months. What the hell have they been doing? Certainly not working.
That's incredible. Didn't realise you had access to the working records of every teacher in the UK
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #33157 on: Friday, August 14, 2020, 17:30:30 »

did he mean the student?

either way, bizarre
Sippo
Living in the 80s

Ignore
« Reply #33158 on: Friday, August 14, 2020, 20:30:37 »

That's incredible. Didn't realise you had access to the working records of every teacher in the UK

Didn't say every teacher. There are some amazing ones out there that work loads, some even 12 hours a day but there are some that just do the basics. I think it's wrong, that a teacher hasn't logged in to check their emails especially during this hard time.
« Last Edit: Friday, August 14, 2020, 20:33:17 by Sippo » Logged

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #33159 on: Friday, August 14, 2020, 20:32:31 »

Scott Twine?
Sippo
Living in the 80s

Ignore
« Reply #33160 on: Friday, August 14, 2020, 20:34:24 »

Scott Twine?

He's just a cunt

Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #33161 on: Saturday, August 15, 2020, 07:10:51 »

I can tell you that mine has been fruit picking and working awful shifts on a production line until he was physically broken! That's because I as a parent pushed him into doing something with his time rather than playing computer games! He's now trying to get a cleaning job until he takes up an apprenticeship. My experience of the 'algorithm' and calculation is that if you put the wrong data in to begin with then the wrong result comes out! I hate the word 'malpractice' but that's where we are.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #33162 on: Saturday, August 15, 2020, 07:27:40 »

Didn't say every teacher. There are some amazing ones out there that work loads, some even 12 hours a day but there are some that just do the basics. I think it's wrong, that a teacher hasn't logged in to check their emails especially during this hard time.
Of course it is. But that has the square root of fuck all to do with a kid who's worked their bollocks off getting fucked over by an algorithm because the govt are too lazy and stupid to think through the actual real world consequences of the process they put in.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #33163 on: Monday, August 17, 2020, 13:04:24 »

Of course it is. But that has the square root of fuck all to do with a kid who's worked their bollocks off getting fucked over by an algorithm because the govt are too lazy and stupid to think through the actual real world consequences of the process they put in.

Government announcement at 4pm, U turn to divert the shit on to the universities maybe?
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #33164 on: Monday, August 17, 2020, 13:06:14 »

What the fuck is wrong with people, it was shit before but C-19 seems to have excessively exacerbated the number of twats. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-53804526
Pages: 1 ... 2208 2209 2210 [2211] 2212 2213 2214 ... 2656   Go Up
Print
Jump to: