Pages: 1 ... 2127 2128 2129 [2130] 2131 2132 2133 ... 2656   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Trivial things you don't understand/mildly annoy you  (Read 5068362 times)
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #31935 on: Friday, January 31, 2020, 15:40:33 »

The facts are usually much more complicated than a local Journo will bother to pay attention to.  I've seen previous research on sentencing, that when presented with court transcripts, people tend to give lower sentences than judges do - it's a common misconception thanks to Press reporting that it's the other way around - if I remember correctly.
Flashheart

« Reply #31936 on: Friday, January 31, 2020, 15:47:25 »

And the press often like to make out that the bad people are getting off scot-free while the good people suffer in an "OH MY GOD, LOOK AT THE INJUSTICE" type way.

It helps to get people angry over their cornflakes in the mornings, which sells papers.

I follow the secret barrister in twitter and he gives some interesting insights. He's often able to explain stuff that seems wrong initially but makes sense afterwards. Sometimes, though, he admits that the system makes no sense.
StfcRusty

Ignore
« Reply #31937 on: Friday, January 31, 2020, 15:55:03 »

And the press often like to make out that the bad people are getting off scot-free while the good people suffer in an "OH MY GOD, LOOK AT THE INJUSTICE" type way.

It helps to get people angry over their cornflakes in the mornings, which sells papers.

I follow the secret barrister in twitter and he gives some interesting insights. He's often able to explain stuff that seems wrong initially but makes sense afterwards. Sometimes, though, he admits that the system makes no sense.

Also the very people who froth at the mouth about lenient sentences are the very same people who vilify any politician for daring to suggest the rich should pay more tax, which in part might pay for better education to prevent crime in the first place and/or to build more prisons so that longer sentences were even possible (not that longer sentences necessarily actually rehabilitates anyone)
Flashheart

« Reply #31938 on: Friday, January 31, 2020, 15:59:32 »

The justice system is also massively underfunded. Something else that the secret barrister helps reveal on regular occasion.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #31939 on: Friday, January 31, 2020, 16:09:02 »

Such articles are essentially click bait.
Flashheart

« Reply #31940 on: Friday, January 31, 2020, 16:12:37 »

Such articles are essentially click bait.

Yup.

The adver do it all the time on facebook.
ibelieveinmrreeves
Should've gone to Specsavers

Ignore
« Reply #31941 on: Friday, January 31, 2020, 20:35:58 »

My mum got the Secret Barrister's book for christmas, which is apparently very good (also follow on twitter) so will be pinching that off her when done.

Even men with steel hearts love to see a dog on the pitch.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #31942 on: Monday, February 3, 2020, 14:20:02 »

Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #31943 on: Wednesday, February 5, 2020, 13:59:12 »

Is the road rule that a red traffic light means that you need to stop now optional for cyclists? This 'habit' seems to be getting worse in my eyes.

As is the Zombielike addiction to phones which I guess is never going to change.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
@mwooly63

Ignore
« Reply #31944 on: Wednesday, February 5, 2020, 14:16:38 »

Is the road rule that a red traffic light means that you need to stop now optional for cyclists? This 'habit' seems to be getting worse in my eyes.

As is the Zombielike addiction to phones which I guess is never going to change.

Seems to be, as is using lights when it's dark.
Am sure most have never heard of the highway code , even less that it actually applies to them too.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #31945 on: Wednesday, February 5, 2020, 14:23:36 »

Buggers don't pay road tax either......
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #31946 on: Wednesday, February 5, 2020, 14:40:15 »

The other thing that winds me up about the 2 wheeled lot, is the lack of helmets being used. Generally this is more for the casual cyclist who jump on the Boris Bikes but there is no danger I would cycle through London without a helmet on.

The 'professional' cyclists who are all lycra and are well lit generally do adhere to the helmet rule, but a lot of these don't seem to want to slow down for red lights.

I do applaud cyclists in general though, I would rather give them sway over the rich cocks that drive about in London in their ridiculous gas guzzling vulgarities.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
@mwooly63

Ignore
« Reply #31947 on: Wednesday, February 5, 2020, 14:51:24 »

Most of the cyclists I encounter are the ride to work variety. Most of them off to south marston early in the morning.
Kingsdown junction is a favourite for cycling red light jumpers.
Swindon road for non lights, including the one cycling on the wrong side of the road at the New Inn roundabout the other day  Eek

And no they dont pay road tax,  but the noone does.
But you knew that...  Wink
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #31948 on: Wednesday, February 5, 2020, 15:25:57 »

The other thing that winds me up about the 2 wheeled lot, is the lack of helmets being used. Generally this is more for the casual cyclist who jump on the Boris Bikes but there is no danger I would cycle through London without a helmet on.

Personal choice innit*, I always wear a helmet (especially having come across a bloke unconscious in the road the other year who had come off not wearing a helmet and waiting 2.5 for an ambulance to roll up) but I don't have to and thus its up to the personal user.

* This is not aimed at you but one thing that winds me up is that there is often a direct correlativity between those who moan about cyclists not wearing helmets, and then following in the next breath moaning about nanny state, lack of personal freedom and H&S 'gone mad'!

The 'professional' cyclists who are all lycra and are well lit generally do adhere to the helmet rule, but a lot of these don't seem to want to slow down for red lights.

That surprises me as I am a 'not really professional' cyclist and people running red lights pisses me and my peers off as it makes cyclists an easy target for the wider habit of dehumanising cyclists as promoted by parts of the media and government!
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #31949 on: Wednesday, February 5, 2020, 15:43:16 »

Personal choice innit*, I always wear a helmet (especially having come across a bloke unconscious in the road the other year who had come off not wearing a helmet and waiting 2.5 for an ambulance to roll up) but I don't have to and thus its up to the personal user.

* This is not aimed at you but one thing that winds me up is that there is often a direct correlativity between those who moan about cyclists not wearing helmets, and then following in the next breath moaning about nanny state, lack of personal freedom and H&S 'gone mad'!

That surprises me as I am a 'not really professional' cyclist and people running red lights pisses me and my peers off as it makes cyclists an easy target for the wider habit of dehumanising cyclists as promoted by parts of the media and government!

I just think that if you are cycling through a busy city with a lot of traffic and other dangers that it is irresponsible not to wear a helmet. I do get that it is a personal choice however.

And don't get me wrong, this isn't a cheap pop at cyclists in general, my ire is towards the very small minority that do appear to be ignorant. I do fear that one day I am going to walk home and see an accident that could so very easily be avoided.

Pages: 1 ... 2127 2128 2129 [2130] 2131 2132 2133 ... 2656   Go Up
Print
Jump to: