Pages: 1 ... 2123 2124 2125 [2126] 2127 2128 2129 ... 2656   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Trivial things you don't understand/mildly annoy you  (Read 5089757 times)
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #31875 on: Monday, January 27, 2020, 13:53:13 »

A lot of Asians voted for Brexit, Farage craftily pointed out that immigration wouldn't end, as the economy demands a pool of available cheap labour, but that Europeans would be replaced by Sub Continental Asians.  This played well with the Asian community, makes it easier to bring in family... guess why LL went with it, after all he's never managed to offer any other benefit...

Jesus you can't help yourself Reg!  Suicide

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #31876 on: Monday, January 27, 2020, 13:53:55 »

Regxit.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #31877 on: Monday, January 27, 2020, 14:07:42 »

Jesus you can't help yourself Reg!  Suicide

What's your point?  Are you suggesting that the analysis of British Asian voting in the REF is wrong. Many Asians perceived FoM for Europeans as essentially discriminatory, if not racist, when multiple hurdles are in place for them wishing to bring in family etc.  The first thing that Modi has on the table if UK wants a trade deal with India, is easing immigration rules.
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #31878 on: Monday, January 27, 2020, 14:09:40 »

What's your point?  Are you suggesting that the analysis of British Asian voting in the REF is wrong. Many Asians perceived FoM for Europeans as essentially discriminatory, if not racist, when multiple hurdles are in place for them wishing to bring in family etc.  The first thing that Modi has on the table if UK wants a trade deal with India, is easing immigration rules.

My point was that LL generally comes on here and spouts a load of drivel and you've literally just invited him in for a 'discussion'

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #31879 on: Monday, January 27, 2020, 14:09:59 »

And yes, I am well aware that's what a forum is for Smiley

Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #31880 on: Monday, January 27, 2020, 14:42:06 »

A friend of a friend on Facebook stating in my mate spost about racism being rife at the moment saying...."And sadly the UK has never before shown so much racism. Heartbreaking."

Thats categorically just not even close to the truth.

What about the race rioys of the 70s and early 80s?

What about the Jewish pogroms in England of the late 12th century in York and Colchester and to a lesser extent in the late 19th century in the East End and after the war in 1947 accross the UK?

How about we include the slave trade?

What about post Windrush?

I despair at some people grasp of a basic history, even more so when trying to prove a point with their ill educated comments.

Or is it just a short term memory? if its not in the new its not relevant.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #31881 on: Monday, January 27, 2020, 14:43:52 »

It's the boring and inaccurate trope that "Things Are Getting Worse."

They really aren't.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #31882 on: Monday, January 27, 2020, 14:44:52 »

To some there is no history pre social media  Smiley
Peter Venkman

« Reply #31883 on: Monday, January 27, 2020, 14:45:20 »

It's the boring and inaccurate trope that "Things Are Getting Worse."

They really aren't.
Absolutely, certainly regarding racism, things are going in the right direction there are just a few small blips along the way, as there have always been. This is no way even remotely comparable to the 70's and early 80's.

To some there is no history pre social media  Smiley
This is my take on it, like no football pre Sky.

horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #31884 on: Monday, January 27, 2020, 15:31:44 »

A friend of a friend on Facebook stating in my mate spost about racism being rife at the moment saying...."And sadly the UK has never before shown so much racism. Heartbreaking."

Thats categorically just not even close to the truth.

What about the race rioys of the 70s and early 80s?

What about the Jewish pogroms in England of the late 12th century in York and Colchester and to a lesser extent in the late 19th century in the East End and after the war in 1947 accross the UK?

How about we include the slave trade?

What about post Windrush?

I despair at some people grasp of a basic history, even more so when trying to prove a point with their ill educated comments.

Thing is, it is probably more visible at the moment than it has been for a while, the last time I  remember it being this apparent was in the mid 90's.

The one thing Brexit has shown is just how poor peoples knowledge of history in this country really is.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #31885 on: Monday, January 27, 2020, 15:32:42 »

Absolutely on all counts.

Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #31886 on: Monday, January 27, 2020, 15:41:52 »

I think, personally, the levels of racism have increased since the vote in 2016. I don't really have anything to back that up, I just feel I see / hear more of it nowadays. Some of my best mates are minorities of various kinds and they all say they still experience racism frequently. Of course it has obviously improved, but it's still a problem.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #31887 on: Monday, January 27, 2020, 15:49:06 »

The one thing Brexit has shown is just how poor peoples knowledge of history in this country really is.

I don't think that is the case at all.  History is a complex subject, in which many people have no interest. However, I don't think voting Leave in the Ref is an indicator of that.... you just need to look at uptake rates in things like GCSE and degree courses.
« Last Edit: Monday, January 27, 2020, 15:53:01 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #31888 on: Monday, January 27, 2020, 15:51:25 »

On the London news this morning, on the 75th anniversary of the Holocaust day they had discovered some anti-semetic graffiti.

https://news.sky.com/story/antisemitic-graffiti-daubed-on-buildings-in-southeast-london-ahead-of-holocaust-memorial-day-11918535

What is wrong with people? Why have we not learned anything from the absolute horrors of 75 years ago. It makes me so annoyed.

horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #31889 on: Monday, January 27, 2020, 15:51:51 »

https://thepinprick.com/2017/12/15/ladybird-libertarians-dan-hannan-paddington-and-the-pernicious-impact-of-1960s-british-propaganda-on-the-brexit-thinkers/
Pages: 1 ... 2123 2124 2125 [2126] 2127 2128 2129 ... 2656   Go Up
Print
Jump to: