Pages: 1 ... 2121 2122 2123 [2124] 2125 2126 2127 ... 2656   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Trivial things you don't understand/mildly annoy you  (Read 5099136 times)
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #31845 on: Monday, January 27, 2020, 10:51:21 »

I'm not sure using the term virtue signalling has anything to do with your political persuasion.
I've only ever seen/heard it used as a put down by alt right types. That might be down to my (thankfully) limited experience of those types of discussions Smiley
Panda Paws

« Reply #31846 on: Monday, January 27, 2020, 10:55:16 »

I've only ever seen/heard it used as a put down by alt right types. That might be down to my (thankfully) limited experience of those types of discussions Smiley

Potentially something in this if you're specifically talking about uses on social media, but I think it's a more general phrase that the alt-right.

In this era of constant offense on behalf of others, it's pretty hard to avoid it in the mainstream I think.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #31847 on: Monday, January 27, 2020, 11:01:25 »

Potentially something in this if you're specifically talking about uses on social media, but I think it's a more general phrase that the alt-right.

In this era of constant offense on behalf of others, it's pretty hard to avoid it in the mainstream I think.
Happy to take your word for it, as I say it's not something I've seen a lot of, but when I have it's usually been used by those on the right/populists. You live and learn
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #31848 on: Monday, January 27, 2020, 11:13:08 »

Virtue signalling is as prevalent (if not more so) on the right, often commonly used by the Ladybird Libertarians to show off to their mates.

When one considers the origins of 'woke' it always raises a smile when I see right wingers adopting it as some manner of insult.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #31849 on: Monday, January 27, 2020, 11:30:45 »

Virtue signalling is as prevalent (if not more so) on the right, often commonly used by the Ladybird Libertarians to show off to their mates.
I meant the use of the term, not the practice Smiley

It's a bit like Piers Morgan sneering at all and sundry as "snowflakes" then going into toxic shock at the sight of a vegan sausage roll
« Last Edit: Monday, January 27, 2020, 11:37:41 by pauld » Logged
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #31850 on: Monday, January 27, 2020, 11:53:56 »

Thanks all, I think I understand now Smiley

https://language-and-innovation.com/2018/08/23/a-glossary-of-skunked-terms-brexitspeak-and-the-toxic-terminology-of-populism/

This might help.  Smiley

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #31851 on: Monday, January 27, 2020, 12:19:39 »

Taken from there, this is always a favourite.

Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #31852 on: Monday, January 27, 2020, 12:24:34 »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51261999

Nonsense.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #31853 on: Monday, January 27, 2020, 12:29:59 »

Fine as long as they also ban all talk of Love Island, Strictly and all the other bollocks on telly. Glad I don't work in her office.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #31854 on: Monday, January 27, 2020, 12:33:23 »

Pathetic, typical of today's society. More and more limitations so not to offend people. Stop trying to turn us into robots!
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #31855 on: Monday, January 27, 2020, 12:39:48 »

It's one persons idea.  Largely seen as stupid.  It's not law, it's not a symptom of society, just one persons stupid idea. 

But it fits into the narrative that the right wing media want to push, 'you cant say anything cos of political correctness.  We're under attack from the liberal elite'.

Ask yourself why it's reported and how much it's actually true before getting all upset about the way society is going.

Never knowingly overstated.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #31856 on: Monday, January 27, 2020, 12:42:03 »

It's one persons idea.  Largely seen as stupid.  It's not law, it's not a symptom of society, just one persons stupid idea. 

But it fits into the narrative that the right wing media want to push, 'you cant say anything cos of political correctness.  We're under attack from the liberal elite'.

Ask yourself why it's reported and how much it's actually true before getting all upset about the way society is going.

Exactly this. People who hate political correctness do so because they're almost always the opposite: politically wrong.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #31857 on: Monday, January 27, 2020, 12:44:37 »

Why should people dictate things? You're pushing an opinion yourselves and you know nothing about me.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #31858 on: Monday, January 27, 2020, 12:46:16 »

It's one persons idea.  Largely seen as stupid.  It's not law, it's not a symptom of society, just one persons stupid idea.  

But it fits into the narrative that the right wing media want to push, 'you cant say anything cos of political correctness.  We're under attack from the liberal elite'.

Exactly, its just another case of the media flinging a dead cat to deflect frfom important stories, see also the big fuss about the Coronavirus which appears to have killed 10's while flu kills 800k+ each year.

I must confess to only scanning the story, but there seems to be no context as to why this has been discussed, why was the lass talking on the BBC in the first place? So a story has been sensationalised by the BBC based upon a quote on the BBC, fired up by a reporter from the BBC and then strengthened by comments on social media provoked and harvested by the BBC. Click bait of the highest order which we have all now clicked upon, it would do the Mail proud!
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #31859 on: Monday, January 27, 2020, 12:46:41 »

Why should people dictate things? You're pushing an opinion yourselves and you know nothing about me.

Who the fuck is dictating anything?
Pages: 1 ... 2121 2122 2123 [2124] 2125 2126 2127 ... 2656   Go Up
Print
Jump to: