Pages: 1 ... 2120 2121 2122 [2123] 2124 2125 2126 ... 2656   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Trivial things you don't understand/mildly annoy you  (Read 5098963 times)
Flashheart

« Reply #31830 on: Monday, January 27, 2020, 09:45:50 »

'Woke' means somebody that is aware of racism, inequality, discrimination etc.

I think it's becoming a bit of a slur for people that take it too far and actively look for discrimination where there is none.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #31831 on: Monday, January 27, 2020, 09:46:25 »

I can't keep up with all these expressions that seem to have been invented recently. I know what 'snowflake' is but what is 'woke'? There are others that I can't think of off the top of my head at this moment in time as well.

Yes

re woke

I've noticed this, and did read up about it, but it made no sense. 

Back in my formative years of the late 60's early 70'd there were always new words springing up.... using them was a sign that you were "hip"  such things as "rip off"  "hassle" "far out" "head"  "straight"     I guess it's the same sort of thing...
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #31832 on: Monday, January 27, 2020, 09:47:01 »

That's sick Reg  Smiley

I was talking on the phone the other day to a representative of a company and they said "my bad". I had to grit my teeth.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #31833 on: Monday, January 27, 2020, 09:52:18 »

I can't keep up with all these expressions that seem to have been invented recently. I know what 'snowflake' is but what is 'woke'? There are others that I can't think of off the top of my head at this moment in time as well.

And the worst thing is, when you tell people you've not heard of a certain expression or phrase you get, "Oh my God I can't believe you didn't know that, where have you been??" and so on...fuck right off  Smug Fuck Off
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #31834 on: Monday, January 27, 2020, 09:53:19 »

'Woke' means somebody that is aware of racism, inequality, discrimination etc.

I think it's becoming a bit of a slur for people that take it too far and actively look for discrimination where there is none.
What's wrong with just calling them a dick...
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #31835 on: Monday, January 27, 2020, 09:54:11 »

What's wrong with just calling them a dick...

Nothing at all
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #31836 on: Monday, January 27, 2020, 09:57:33 »

Thanks all. That kind of makes sense but it doesn't at the same time!

The other one that I've just remembered is virtue signalling? What's that all about then? I feel much older than I currently am right now!

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Flashheart

« Reply #31837 on: Monday, January 27, 2020, 10:00:37 »

The other one that I've just remembered is virtue signalling?

Making a display of being anti-racism/discrimination/whatever to try and show other people what a good person you are.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #31838 on: Monday, January 27, 2020, 10:01:42 »

Its good fun winding up 15 year old batch junior in front of his friends with sayings i've only got a vague understandin of.

They stan me.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #31839 on: Monday, January 27, 2020, 10:02:53 »

Thanks all. That kind of makes sense but it doesn't at the same time!

The other one that I've just remembered is virtue signalling? What's that all about then? I feel much older than I currently am right now!
"Virtue signalling" is a bit like woke, in that it's a disparaging term used by those on the right to suggest that someone is taking a position or making a point as a way of waving about how wonderful they are, like a PC version of dick waving I guess. It's usually used when they get pulled up on some horrendous remark or racist joke, "Oh look at the SJW virtue signalling". And a lot like "woke", it's use usually says a lot more about the person making the accusation than those they accuse
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #31840 on: Monday, January 27, 2020, 10:04:20 »

OK boomer
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #31841 on: Monday, January 27, 2020, 10:07:12 »

Thanks all, I think I understand now Smiley

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #31842 on: Monday, January 27, 2020, 10:08:04 »

"Virtue signalling" is a bit like woke, in that it's a disparaging term used by those on the right to suggest that someone is taking a position or making a point as a way of waving about how wonderful they are, like a PC version of dick waving I guess. It's usually used when they get pulled up on some horrendous remark or racist joke, "Oh look at the SJW virtue signalling". And a lot like "woke", it's use usually says a lot more about the person making the accusation than those they accuse

It’s always those on the right, fuck me, oh my god.

Edit. Why don’t you have your right arm, leg, ear, eye and testicle removed. I bet driving is nightmare for you having to turn right.
« Last Edit: Monday, January 27, 2020, 10:36:04 by Legends-Lounge » Logged
Panda Paws

« Reply #31843 on: Monday, January 27, 2020, 10:29:22 »

I'm not sure using the term virtue signalling has anything to do with your political persuasion.

It's the act of being offended by something on behalf of others to make yourself look better, or "woke". They're entwined. In my mind, being "woke" is the output of the action of virtue signalling.
Richie Wellen-Dowd

« Reply #31844 on: Monday, January 27, 2020, 10:48:50 »

Woke is actually a leftist word, originally associated with the Black Lives Matter movement. To be 'woke' means to be awake/alert to problems of social injustice.

It's only recently that the word has taken on another meaning(or been 'weaponised' by the right, according to the Guardian), and is used to insult those who loudly shout down any divergence from, or even debate around, what they have decided is acceptable opinion. Of course, its probably thrown at people who it doesn't really apply to, and sometimes by people who are far worse human beings than they.
Pages: 1 ... 2120 2121 2122 [2123] 2124 2125 2126 ... 2656   Go Up
Print
Jump to: