Pages: 1 ... 2022 2023 2024 [2025] 2026 2027 2028 ... 2656   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Trivial things you don't understand/mildly annoy you  (Read 5067206 times)
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #30360 on: Tuesday, May 7, 2019, 11:41:23 »

Popped to the shops at lunchtime and two grade a twats kept getting in my way, that's annoying if they do it once, but THREE times?  Bad Mood
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #30361 on: Thursday, May 9, 2019, 12:04:24 »

Genuinely gutted by the BBC's decision to sack Danny Baker.  His tweet was ill-judged, but unintentional.  Did they really need to throw him under the bus?  His Saturday morning show on Radio 5 was a wonderful mix of warmth & humour that I'm really going to miss.

Brown sauce, every time.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2019/may/09/danny-baker-apologises-for-chimp-tweet-about-royal-baby
Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #30362 on: Thursday, May 9, 2019, 12:12:13 »

Genuinely gutted by the BBC's decision to sack Danny Baker.  His tweet was ill-judged, but unintentional.  Did they really need to throw him under the bus?  His Saturday morning show on Radio 5 was a wonderful mix of warmth & humour that I'm really going to miss.

Brown sauce, every time.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2019/may/09/danny-baker-apologises-for-chimp-tweet-about-royal-baby

Completely agree.  Took me some time to twig the racial connotation, instantly thought "oh my god" but then quickly realised he couldn't possibly have meant it that way.  Which he clearly didn't.

One could even argue that the people who are peddling the racist line are the real racists. 
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #30363 on: Thursday, May 9, 2019, 12:16:39 »

Brown sauce, every time.

Oh, I missed this "scandal". Yep, obvious over-reaction, attributing attitudes that anyone who has encountered DB even in passing would know were a million miles from his intentions. In the age of social media, it's not just what you think that has to be policed, but also how other more twisted people might interpret how you think. Characteristically pithy DB response: “a masterclass of pompous faux-gravity”. Quite.

Hope he gets another gig quickly. They'll have trouble improving Saturday mornings. And yes, always the brown stuff.  Yes

Tout ce que je sais de plus sűr ŕ propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #30364 on: Thursday, May 9, 2019, 12:20:07 »

How is it racist? Genuine question.
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #30365 on: Thursday, May 9, 2019, 12:29:00 »

How is it racist? Genuine question.
Come on.

Everyone knows that a monkey is a derogatory term for a person of African american origin. 

Now i am in no way saying that this is the connection made by Danny Baker, i am confident that there was no racial intention what so ever but thats the connection that the PC brigade have jumped on and has ultimately ended with him losing his job.

Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #30366 on: Thursday, May 9, 2019, 12:31:06 »

If there is the smallest opportunity for something to be taken out of context, the PC brigade will jump on it.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #30367 on: Thursday, May 9, 2019, 12:38:42 »

I have no idea of Bakers intentions in presenting the Tweet, however, you have got to be some manner of numbnuts to not realise the context in which it would be interpreted, denying that and using it as a defence is up there with Wayne Hennessey not knowing the Nazi salute in its absurdity!

I have got a mate who has spent a fair bit of time in Danny Bakers company, cannot comment on his feelings of race, but he is apparently a nice bloke and incredibly self aware and intelligent which just makes the whole thing seem even odder!

BTW the BBC have a fucking cheek when you consider they promote Farage on an almost daily basis! He may not be employed by them, but he certainly makes a living from the BBC.
« Last Edit: Thursday, May 9, 2019, 12:40:49 by horlock07 » Logged
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #30368 on: Thursday, May 9, 2019, 12:41:10 »

I have no idea of Bakers intentions in presenting the Tweet, however, you have got to be some manner of numbnuts to not realise the context in which it would be interpreted, denying that and using it as a defence is up there with Wayne Hennessey not knowing the Nazi salute in its absurdity!
Completely. Bear in mind he's a Millwall fan too, he can't be any stranger to the monkey chants etc even if he didn't approve. Just incredibly fucking stupid. Sacking him seems an OTT kneejerk reaction though. Although his shtick has got very boring anyway, used to quite enjoy it, but it's just tedious now, not changed in decades more than time he was moved on.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #30369 on: Thursday, May 9, 2019, 12:42:43 »

I have got a mate who has spent a fair bit of time in Danny Bakers company, cannot comment on his feelings of race, but he is apparently a nice bloke and incredibly self aware and intelligent which just makes the whole thing seem even odder!

BTW the BBC have a fucking cheek when you consider they promote Farage on an almost daily basis! He may not be employed by them, but he certainly makes a living from the BBC.
I have met Danny Baker a couple of times at gigs and he is a very articulate and intelligent man and I enjoy his company, he has never shown any signs of racism before that I am aware but he is a Millwall fan!

As for Farage, I concur!

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #30370 on: Thursday, May 9, 2019, 12:43:12 »

If there is the smallest opportunity for something to be taken out of context, the PC brigade will jump on it.
TBF you yourself have pointed out it's very difficult to take this in any other context
Come on.

Everyone knows that a monkey is a derogatory term for a person of African american origin.  
Especially anyone who has regularly attended games at Millwall for 50-odd years where the monkey chant etc has been deployed far too often
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #30371 on: Thursday, May 9, 2019, 12:45:12 »

Have you ever see. Wayne Hennessy organising his defence?
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #30372 on: Thursday, May 9, 2019, 13:29:47 »

Completely agree.  Took me some time to twig the racial connotation, instantly thought "oh my god" but then quickly realised he couldn't possibly have meant it that way.  Which he clearly didn't.

One could even argue that the people who are peddling the racist line are the real racists.  
I Like the bloke,  good luck to him,  hope he gets another job soon. Too many fucking snowflakes around now a days.
Take it in the context it was meant,  not the way you feel it should be taken.
« Last Edit: Thursday, May 9, 2019, 13:32:18 by swindonmaniac » Logged

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #30373 on: Thursday, May 9, 2019, 13:41:03 »

people can't apply context, and don't want to listen. They want a lynching and to hell with reason.

Was very silly to post it though
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #30374 on: Thursday, May 9, 2019, 13:58:28 »

people can't apply context, and don't want to listen. They want a lynching and to hell with reason.
What context? As far as I can see he just posted the photo with a caption "Royal baby leaves hospital" or words to that effect. There's no "context" there is there or am I missing something?
Pages: 1 ... 2022 2023 2024 [2025] 2026 2027 2028 ... 2656   Go Up
Print
Jump to: