Pages: 1 ... 1953 1954 1955 [1956] 1957 1958 1959 ... 2653   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Trivial things you don't understand/mildly annoy you  (Read 5036545 times)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #29325 on: Thursday, November 15, 2018, 20:04:56 »

Smiley

it gets easier as they get older.

(it doesn't)
Barry Scott

« Reply #29326 on: Thursday, November 15, 2018, 20:32:05 »

On that note and related to this thread, the future step son has just managed to get himself expelled. I honestly don’t blame the teachers, I’m just surprised they took so long.

Having been to meetings at the school, it was like death by a billion cuts. To say he tested them would be an understatement.

And actually I’m not annoyed, I’m quite ambivalent about it all. He’d sit in lessons and refuse to work. He’s done almost nothing for about a year apart from disrupt lessons and challenge teachers.

The teachers stopped asking him for homework because he used that as an excuse to smugly tell them he didn’t do it. It’s strange because he’s intelligent, articulate and very personable. He just hates authority and school and decided it wasn’t for him.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #29327 on: Thursday, November 15, 2018, 20:47:05 »

you seem very relaxed about it all. I guess it's difficult in your situation. how's the other half taken it?

How old is he anyway? Young enough to realise it's not going to end well?
Barry Scott

« Reply #29328 on: Thursday, November 15, 2018, 21:09:15 »

It’s also difficult because his Dad was kicked out, his cousin (who he idolises) was kicked out along with an uncle...

The other half is more concerned, as is expected, but it’s been in the post for so long it was always when, not if. And wth such poor role models, it’s always been a near impossible feat to convince him school might be worth sticking at.

I suppose I’m also more relaxed as I’m personally not a “go to school, get your grades and get a stable job working for a big company” sort, I think it’ll work out ok.

I suppose I’ve always liked the idea of teaching him some sort of skill that requires no grades as such. (Since accepting the end was near.)

He’s 15, so a few months off finishing his GCSEs. And he couldn’t give less of a fuck to be honest. He has total indifference to absolutely everything. Not a single fuck is given - about anything.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #29329 on: Thursday, November 15, 2018, 21:14:11 »

well, even if he regrets it later it's never too late to go back and get qualifications. it's just a bit harder.

hope it all works out
Barry Scott

« Reply #29330 on: Thursday, November 15, 2018, 21:21:08 »

Exactly. And in truth going and getting a job and having a taste of the real world might be the kick up the arse he needs.

Most of it stems from a fear of failure, that’s the one thing he hates. He can’t stand loss or failure.

He’s been so sheltered from defeat, criticism and confrontation throughout his life (every child gets a trophy) he’d prefer not to try, than try and fail. I guess choosing to fail is within his control and causes no pain.

And thanks, I’m sure it’ll be fine.
StfcRusty

Ignore
« Reply #29331 on: Thursday, November 15, 2018, 22:13:09 »

Without consciously thinking it, every time I had seen Barry's avatar my brain was registering "Dave Gorman".  I've just realised, it's actually John Malkovich with a beard. 
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #29332 on: Friday, November 16, 2018, 00:51:03 »

WTF? Cocker spaniel? They aren't big enough surely to swallow a rabbit whole - is it crossed with a python or something?

Only going on what "I saw wiv me own eyes I did Mr. Manwaring."  I suppose you can put me down as a bullshitting man too if you like. This forum never fucking changes  Pint

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #29333 on: Friday, November 16, 2018, 01:14:14 »

Barry, he'll come good mate. As you've recognised he's an intelligent lad but just isn't cut out for the defined path of academia. There's plenty of hands on roles he could carve out and enjoy doing. Under your guidance (if you wish to) I'm sure you can point him in the right direction.

It's a common trait of 'rebellion' in that he'll likely end up running his own business. Look up 'rebel talent'. I'm sure he has an answer for everything and good at reinventing himself. If he can harness it (with or without guidance), he can break the rules in all the right ways.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #29334 on: Friday, November 16, 2018, 07:21:50 »

On that note and related to this thread, the future step son has just managed to get himself expelled. I honestly don’t blame the teachers, I’m just surprised they took so long.

Having been to meetings at the school, it was like death by a billion cuts. To say he tested them would be an understatement.

And actually I’m not annoyed, I’m quite ambivalent about it all. He’d sit in lessons and refuse to work. He’s done almost nothing for about a year apart from disrupt lessons and challenge teachers.

The teachers stopped asking him for homework because he used that as an excuse to smugly tell them he didn’t do it. It’s strange because he’s intelligent, articulate and very personable. He just hates authority and school and decided it wasn’t for him.

The large majority of kids like that in my year at school went out and learnt a trade and have done well for themselves.

Certainly not the be all and end all like the school make it out to be at the time.
Flashheart

« Reply #29335 on: Friday, November 16, 2018, 07:38:38 »

Of all those I went to school with that have since gone on to establish successful businesses, I can't think of one that did particularly well in terms of qualifications and what not. Those that did get straight As etc have largely gone on to get decent, well-paying jobs but none are likely to become wealthy.

One, who has made more than a million, just sort of fell into his trade. He picked it up while working in a warehouse. He was working in a warehouse while others he went to school with were at university.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #29336 on: Friday, November 16, 2018, 08:23:55 »

A lot more toward the trivial end of the scale, but Learning that the mars rover is the size of a normal car.

I’d always assumed it was remote control car-size

Things get better but they never get good
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #29337 on: Friday, November 16, 2018, 08:33:34 »

me too.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #29338 on: Friday, November 16, 2018, 10:57:56 »

Exactly. And in truth going and getting a job and having a taste of the real world might be the kick up the arse he needs.

How easy is it for a 15 year old to get a job these days though?

FWIW our 5 year old girl is being an absolute tool at the moment!
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #29339 on: Friday, November 16, 2018, 14:30:03 »

Just had a call from a delightful foreign gent who sounded extremely worried about my computer and offered to iron out my Windows problems.

I hope he understood some gutter English.
Pages: 1 ... 1953 1954 1955 [1956] 1957 1958 1959 ... 2653   Go Up
Print
Jump to: