Pages: 1 ... 1902 1903 1904 [1905] 1906 1907 1908 ... 2656   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Trivial things you don't understand/mildly annoy you  (Read 5092753 times)
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #28560 on: Monday, July 23, 2018, 15:19:20 »

The recent closure of the Upper Stratton Reform Club after a long history.

By all accounts quite distressing for the people who ran the place and the loyal membership.

I know that these places were for many years male dominated bastions, but more recently a place where the local community could gather for a pint and a bingo session etc.

Arkells pulled the plug apparently.
Extortionate rent didn't help.

The nearby RBL club will take up the slack no doubt.

Used to drink in The Bakers Arms and The Kingsdown in younger days.
Always used to wonder, during a 3B's farting hangover, if the urinals had a direct feed to the brewing vats at the Arkells brewery.

Over to you Reg.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #28561 on: Monday, July 23, 2018, 19:45:13 »

The working mans club is a dying breed, is a shame.

Many happy memories of frequenting one with my old man, learning my trade in the traditional range of pub “sports”
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #28562 on: Monday, July 23, 2018, 20:29:27 »

The problem is they don’t move with the times. The haydon wick club used to be immense, but it’s not cheap. They use the beer money to pay for the Saturday night music which is boring and uninteresting.

They have to accommodate for families if they are to survive.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #28563 on: Monday, July 23, 2018, 22:55:04 »

The problem is they don’t move with the times. The haydon wick club used to be immense, but it’s not cheap. They use the beer money to pay for the Saturday night music which is boring and uninteresting.

They have to accommodate for families if they are to survive.
But that's because the committees are dominated by old farts who just do what they've always done and are scared of change(NB not a comment on Haydon Wick Club, that could be run by a vibrant,dynamic committee and Sippo's just a moaning git for all I know but it holds for most WMCs of my acquaintance). The answer, as with any voluntary/community group, whether it be your local WMC, the Trust, your local allotments or whatever is if you don't like the way it is being run,.get involved and change it, That's the beauty of community organisations - if you think they're badly run,you always have the opportunity to get involved, find out it's harder than it looks and do just as shit a job as the last lot, while making the same excuses they did (because it's harder than it looks) Smiley
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #28564 on: Monday, July 23, 2018, 23:09:02 »

Talking of clubs, does anyone know why the North Swindon club is called the North Swindon club? It's on Cheney Manor Road. 
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #28565 on: Tuesday, July 24, 2018, 06:25:38 »

Quote from: 4D
Talking of clubs, does anyone know why the North Swindon club is called the North Swindon club? It's on Cheney Manor Road. 

the Cheney Manor Road in North Swindon?

is this a trick question?
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #28566 on: Tuesday, July 24, 2018, 07:58:46 »

the Cheney Manor Road in North Swindon?

is this a trick question?

Genuine question. If it predates Moredon et al then it would have been in North Swindon. Reg?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #28567 on: Tuesday, July 24, 2018, 08:11:18 »

Genuine question. If it predates Moredon et al then it would have been in North Swindon. Reg?

It's like the West Swindon club was in Radnor Street...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/swindonlocal/3697652440

At the time Cheney Manor was the north of Swindon
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #28568 on: Tuesday, July 24, 2018, 08:38:55 »

Moredon is all post war isn't it?  Rodbourne Cheney (further North) was a little village north of Swindon once upon a time.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #28569 on: Tuesday, July 24, 2018, 08:52:28 »

Moredon is all post war isn't it?  Rodbourne Cheney (further North) was a little village north of Swindon once upon a time.

Not all of it.... you can find Moredon in the Domeday Book, along with Blunsdon, Rodbourne Cheney and Groundwell to the north.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #28570 on: Tuesday, July 24, 2018, 09:06:36 »

I was thinking the bit with the WMC - in fact, isnlt/wasn't that the RCWMC, not Moredon?  It was certainly a more modern structure - you couldn't see past your own nose pre-smoking ban.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #28571 on: Tuesday, July 24, 2018, 09:17:44 »

But that's because the committees are dominated by old farts who just do what they've always done and are scared of change(NB not a comment on Haydon Wick Club, that could be run by a vibrant,dynamic committee and Sippo's just a moaning git for all I know but it holds for most WMCs of my acquaintance). The answer, as with any voluntary/community group, whether it be your local WMC, the Trust, your local allotments or whatever is if you don't like the way it is being run,.get involved and change it, That's the beauty of community organisations - if you think they're badly run,you always have the opportunity to get involved, find out it's harder than it looks and do just as shit a job as the last lot, while making the same excuses they did (because it's harder than it looks) Smiley

Thing is, especially with long established organisations, it is not as easy as that.

Over the years I have been involved professionally with a fair few organisations whose managing committees have been dominated by let us say the more mature person, who have inevitably been on the committee for years and sat on the merry go round of chair, secretary, treasurer etc, with the same people just flitting between each role each year. In all cases they moan like hell that young people don't get involved, but if any new blood tries to get involved invariably they then get shouted down as they don't have the knowledge or experience apparently to have an opinions, they tend to last 2-3 meetings, decide it ain't worth it and bugger off.

Or you get the MBE chasers rolling up and they are just as bad!

Such things are like pubs and village post offices, people rarely use them then moan like fuck when they close.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, July 24, 2018, 09:20:11 by horlock07 » Logged
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #28572 on: Tuesday, July 24, 2018, 09:32:38 »

I go in the HWC from time to time, and it is a well run place....

http://www.haydonwickclub.co.uk/about.html

What's not to like there. I was also taken by the fact that they take their old uns who've been members for years on an outing to Weston  Smiley
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #28573 on: Tuesday, July 24, 2018, 09:59:11 »

Thing is, especially with long established organisations, it is not as easy as that.

Over the years I have been involved professionally with a fair few organisations whose managing committees have been dominated by let us say the more mature person, who have inevitably been on the committee for years and sat on the merry go round of chair, secretary, treasurer etc, with the same people just flitting between each role each year. In all cases they moan like hell that young people don't get involved, but if any new blood tries to get involved invariably they then get shouted down as they don't have the knowledge or experience apparently to have an opinions, they tend to last 2-3 meetings, decide it ain't worth it and bugger off.
Yep, agree with all that, and have had the same experience directly and indirectly, but was mainly making the point it's easy to moan, better to do something about it. If you can....

Such things are like pubs and village post offices, people rarely use them then moan like fuck when they close.

Yes, that was also part of the point I was trying to make.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #28574 on: Tuesday, July 24, 2018, 10:01:34 »

I go in the HWC from time to time, and it is a well run place....

http://www.haydonwickclub.co.uk/about.html

What's not to like there.
No idea, I was making a general point about doing something about the problem rather than just moaning from the sidelines. And I specifically said
"NB not a comment on Haydon Wick Club, that could be run by a vibrant,dynamic committee and Sippo's just a moaning git for all I know ", so wasn't in any way trying to have a go at HWC, I know nothing about it
Pages: 1 ... 1902 1903 1904 [1905] 1906 1907 1908 ... 2656   Go Up
Print
Jump to: