Pages: 1 ... 1805 1806 1807 [1808] 1809 1810 1811 ... 2656   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Trivial things you don't understand/mildly annoy you  (Read 5087526 times)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #27105 on: Tuesday, December 19, 2017, 15:11:05 »

all these years and only now do I realise Jackie Wilson Says was covered and not written by Dexys ... and it's a bloody van Morrison song so hardly an unknown!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #27106 on: Tuesday, December 19, 2017, 15:34:22 »

all these years and only now do I realise Jackie Wilson Says was covered and not written by Dexys ... and it's a bloody van Morrison song so hardly an unknown!

Yet the debate still rages.... did the BBC cock up or was it Dexy's decision to have a backdrop picture of Jocky Wilson on TOTP  Hmmm
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #27107 on: Tuesday, December 19, 2017, 15:44:24 »

Good marketing
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #27108 on: Tuesday, December 19, 2017, 20:25:57 »

As a pedestrian in London that does a reasonable amount of walking, I have found the behaviour of pedestrians, cyclist and drivers appear to be generally quite bad.

It is a minority, but I do find that there are some arrogant cyclists that think they are above waiting for the red light to turn to green. In fact, there is a road I cross where the green man for pedestrians shows and the green filter for the road users to turn right comes on after the green man has completed his task but on more than 1 occasion cyclists come flying right as people are crossing. Also I have noticed that more and more people aren't wearing helmets, which is an absolute recipe for disaster.

Pedestrians can be quite bad also, this morning a women in front of me nearly got run over by a van as she couldn't wait 20 seconds for the green man. And don't get me started on people glued to their phones!! Mindlessly crossing without a thought for what is going on around them. At Waterloo station the amount of people watching films/tv on their phones whilst in amongst a massive huddle of people makes me want to cause hari kari!

Any why do people waiting for a bus have to stand right in the way on the pavement? Why don't they stand either in, or by the side of the bus shelter so as not to get in the way of pedestrians? It does make me smile when getting a bus that I have waited for, for say 10 minutes, and the amount of people who just arrive and think its their god given right to be able to push me out of the way as the desperate rush to get on the bus first and are then offended when my elbows turn into weapons!

Finally, the commuter who almost kill themselves to sprint onto a train where the doors are closing on the Jubilee line. They are every 1 minute!

You’ll love this one then... a few weeks ago I went to an exhibition at Stamford Bridge. I got the tube from Paddington to Earls Court. On my way to change platforms to get to Fulham Broadway some trendy man bun millennial came belting past me with a designer coffee drinking receptacle in his hand offering vague apologies as he went. I did think to myself that he’s going to do himself no good......imagine my surprise (not) that around a corner he was at the bottom of a flight of stairs on his arse covered in coffee. As I went past him he looked at me so I just said to him ‘you’ll learn son, just not worth it is it?’ To my surprise he said no! Fair play but I doubt he’ll learn from it.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #27109 on: Tuesday, December 19, 2017, 20:32:04 »

You’ll love this one then... a few weeks ago I went to an exhibition at Stamford Bridge. I got the tube from Paddington to Earls Court. On my way to change platforms to get to Fulham Broadway some trendy man bun millennial came belting past me with a designer coffee drinking receptacle in his hand offering vague apologies as he went. I did think to myself that he’s going to do himself no good......imagine my surprise (not) that around a corner he was at the bottom of a flight of stairs on his arse covered in coffee. As I went past him he looked at me so I just said to him ‘you’ll learn son, just not worth it is it?’ To my surprise he said no! Fair play but I doubt he’ll learn from it.

Karma is great isn’t it Smiley

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #27110 on: Tuesday, December 19, 2017, 20:51:28 »

One for BO  Roll Eyes

Matchworn Shirts
For Sale

Ignore
« Reply #27111 on: Wednesday, December 20, 2017, 08:41:25 »

Wanting Manchester United to win tonight

I come from a land down-under
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #27112 on: Wednesday, December 20, 2017, 09:49:33 »

Wanting Manchester United to win tonight

I've wrestled with this one and decided I want  Bristol City to win  Shocked.

Can't stand either, but a comp where the 4 semi finalists are the top 4 or so in the Prem, playing reserve sides because they don't really want to be there has to be bad.  Further, and more importantly, it will distract them from the league  Smiley
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #27113 on: Wednesday, December 20, 2017, 10:12:45 »

Persimmon pay their CEO £130m bonus while welshing on their S106 obligations at Coate:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/dec/15/persimmon-chair-resigns-chief-executive-obscene-bonus

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/15770844.__39_Developers_have_Swindon_Borough_Council_over_a_barrel__39_/

Developers must laugh their tits off when they deal with our council. All the way to the bank

Sorry I meant to reply to this and bore you all rigid at the weekend, but I forgot.

I know nothing of the case, but I do know of similar where Councils have adopted a cake and eat it approach within the s.106, get very greedy and stacked them so full that they make a scheme unnecessarily borderline viable even at decision date, it then just needs a very small drop in house prices, a couple of unforeseens on site (especially on a site of this size) to collapse the house of cards. I note that its a 5 year old consent and a hell of a lot has changed since then in the markets, values, inflation etc. I suspect I know why they are trying to tidy up the consent granted but who knows. (most of the above is pure speculation based upon professional experience).

Oh and just for a change the Councillors do not seem to have a clue and the Adver story is total nonsense, Firstly if the application is invalid it won't be determined until it is, at which stage the Councillors can see the reasons and comment accordingly and refer to committee, to shoot their bolt at this stage just looks like a cock waving exercise. The viability argument is bollocks without any information (which they apparently don't have by their own admission) and taking note of the time elapsed since the viability appraisals would have been done by the applicant and agreed by the Councils independent advisors. Finally private developer in trying to maximise a profit shocker, I have done some small pieces of work for Persimmon over the years and last time I looked they ain't a charity, if a scheme ain't viable whatever developers are making profit wise as a group they ain't going to do it in its present state!

If the Local Plan is deficient that's ultimately down to the Councilors and Officers, again from experience, perceptions of land banking (which does exist) are often exacerbated by Councils trying to cook the books by placing unattainable construction rates in their calculations (I have sat in an Inquiry where a Council were suggesting (based on little more than an assumption) that on a certain scheme 'x' no of houses could be built per year, the developer replied 'we wish' then provided extensive evidence that it physically could not be done without workers working on top of each other) its a trick Councils use to try and prove they have the mythical 5 year housing supply when they don't as they are terrified of actually approving houses as the residents complain that there are not enough houses for kids, then complain if anyone wants to build near them.

Again not saying its right, but in the absence of any detail this does appear little more than a Council knob waving exercise at the moment, are their local elections coming up by any chance?  Hmmm

There endeth the often speculative lesson!  Wink
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #27114 on: Wednesday, December 20, 2017, 10:36:34 »

Sorry I meant to reply to this and bore you all rigid at the weekend, but I forgot.

I know nothing of the case, but I do know of similar where Councils have adopted a cake and eat it approach within the s.106, get very greedy and stacked them so full that they make a scheme unnecessarily borderline viable even at decision date, it then just needs a very small drop in house prices, a couple of unforeseens on site (especially on a site of this size) to collapse the house of cards. I note that its a 5 year old consent and a hell of a lot has changed since then in the markets, values, inflation etc. I suspect I know why they are trying to tidy up the consent granted but who knows. (most of the above is pure speculation based upon professional experience).

Oh and just for a change the Councillors do not seem to have a clue and the Adver story is total nonsense, Firstly if the application is invalid it won't be determined until it is, at which stage the Councillors can see the reasons and comment accordingly and refer to committee, to shoot their bolt at this stage just looks like a cock waving exercise. The viability argument is bollocks without any information (which they apparently don't have by their own admission) and taking note of the time elapsed since the viability appraisals would have been done by the applicant and agreed by the Councils independent advisors. Finally private developer in trying to maximise a profit shocker, I have done some small pieces of work for Persimmon over the years and last time I looked they ain't a charity, if a scheme ain't viable whatever developers are making profit wise as a group they ain't going to do it in its present state!

If the Local Plan is deficient that's ultimately down to the Councilors and Officers, again from experience, perceptions of land banking (which does exist) are often exacerbated by Councils trying to cook the books by placing unattainable construction rates in their calculations (I have sat in an Inquiry where a Council were suggesting (based on little more than an assumption) that on a certain scheme 'x' no of houses could be built per year, the developer replied 'we wish' then provided extensive evidence that it physically could not be done without workers working on top of each other) its a trick Councils use to try and prove they have the mythical 5 year housing supply when they don't as they are terrified of actually approving houses as the residents complain that there are not enough houses for kids, then complain if anyone wants to build near them.

Again not saying its right, but in the absence of any detail this does appear little more than a Council knob waving exercise at the moment, are their local elections coming up by any chance?  Hmmm

There endeth the often speculative lesson!  Wink
Indeed, there is a reason why I said in my original post "Developers must laugh their tits off when they deal with our council. All the way to the bank". But just because the whole fuck up is probably down to council incompetence doesn't make the developers any less greedy bastards. I'd throw the whole fucking lot of them in a pit and fill it with the concrete they love so much.
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #27115 on: Wednesday, December 20, 2017, 14:41:25 »

The fact that the lyrics to "Baby its cold outside" are on the "rapey" side  Grin
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #27116 on: Wednesday, December 20, 2017, 14:48:09 »

The fact that the lyrics to "Baby its cold outside" are on the "rapey" side  Grin

Likewise Funky Cold Medina is a bit date rapey....
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #27117 on: Wednesday, December 20, 2017, 15:40:06 »

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-42426787

How in the wide world of sports do you fall for this one?  If someone can convince you over the phone that you a) have a tax bill and b) can pay it using itunes, then your family probably need to do something about blocking inbound calls to your phone.
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #27118 on: Wednesday, December 20, 2017, 18:51:33 »

Myhermes and their customer service are fuuuuuuuuuuuucking dreadful

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
The horse is the white of the eyes and dark within.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #27119 on: Thursday, December 21, 2017, 09:36:43 »

Myhermes and their customer service are fuuuuuuuuuuuucking dreadful

I concur. The worst customer service I've ever dealt with
Pages: 1 ... 1805 1806 1807 [1808] 1809 1810 1811 ... 2656   Go Up
Print
Jump to: