Pages: 1 ... 1718 1719 1720 [1721] 1722 1723 1724 ... 2656   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Trivial things you don't understand/mildly annoy you  (Read 5048973 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #25800 on: Monday, May 15, 2017, 08:37:07 »

I still find having a drink in a pub alone somewhat peculiar...

I've always gone into pubs to meet people... sometimes you want to avoid them pretty quickly, sometimes they become firm friends and other times like twice last week, they're interesting birds, who want a chat abouit life with someone who doesn't look scary.

You should try it  Pint
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #25801 on: Monday, May 15, 2017, 08:50:37 »

She also used to bring the fish in out of the pond - alive!
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #25802 on: Monday, May 15, 2017, 08:55:51 »

I've always gone into pubs to meet people... sometimes you want to avoid them pretty quickly, sometimes they become firm friends and other times like twice last week, they're interesting birds, who want a chat abouit life with someone who doesn't look scary.

You should try it  Pint

I do find myself having the occasional lonesome pint now as since we have moved the train connections round the coast from Lancaster are not great and there are a couple of nice pubs within strolling distance, still feels odd like...
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #25803 on: Monday, May 15, 2017, 08:57:01 »

We never named the fish in the pond, especially as the Heron used to come and eat them, when the cat wasn't bringing them in to play with!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #25804 on: Monday, May 15, 2017, 09:08:58 »

I do find myself having the occasional lonesome pint now as since we have moved the train connections round the coast from Lancaster are not great and there are a couple of nice pubs within strolling distance, still feels odd like...

It's about trying to strike a balance between being perceived as an over familiar gobshite or a withdrawn psycho.

Most people in pubs will happily chat, it's why they go in them. There's been a lot of stuff recently about the growth of mental illnesses especially amongst the young, and one contributory factor may well be the demise of pubs and their valuable role in people meeting each other...something that the likes of Facebook etc can't replicate.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #25805 on: Monday, May 15, 2017, 09:17:49 »

the club's official social media.

Jon Goddard Day has just been surpassed by "Today is Monday.. the season is getting closer".

Is ASD trolling, or really really bored?
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #25806 on: Monday, May 15, 2017, 09:23:57 »

It's about trying to strike a balance between being perceived as an over familiar gobshite or a withdrawn psycho.

Most people in pubs will happily chat, it's why they go in them. There's been a lot of stuff recently about the growth of mental illnesses especially amongst the young, and one contributory factor may well be the demise of pubs and their valuable role in people meeting each other...something that the likes of Facebook etc can't replicate.
Think you have a point there. With the general election campaign in full swing, I think the major parties should all announce a policy of putting serious funds into subsidising pub prices as way of tackling the mental health crisis Smiley

(Although this may not work with Dostoyevsky, think he's a bit like Obelix)
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #25807 on: Monday, May 15, 2017, 09:24:49 »

the club's official social media.

Jon Goddard Day has just been surpassed by "Today is Monday.. the season is getting closer".

Is ASD trolling, or really really bored?
It does increasingly resemble the annoyingly cheerful doors in Hitchhiker's Guide, doesn't it?
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #25808 on: Monday, May 15, 2017, 09:31:16 »

I am shite at talking to people I don't know so I fear I sit comfortably in withdrawn psycho group?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #25809 on: Monday, May 15, 2017, 10:03:11 »

I am shite at talking to people I don't know so I fear I sit comfortably in withdrawn psycho group?

A good place to start, if the pub is not too busy is talking to the bar staff.

In a decent boozer, they'll see it as part of the job, epecially recommended if they're Eastern European birds, although the golden era for this in the mid to late 00's seems to have passed.

This exchange may well lead to a discussion of philosophy or history with the locals.

sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #25810 on: Monday, May 15, 2017, 11:16:12 »

I find people extremely willing to chat to randomers close to last orders. Funny that.
Leggett
Do you like popsicles?

Ignore
« Reply #25811 on: Tuesday, May 16, 2017, 08:39:58 »

Saw my car get crashed into by and old, old man on Saturday, it's taking fucking ages to sort out all the insurance stuff, and now I'm getting a stream of 'you were injured in an accident, CLAIM NOW!' texts and phonecalls. The dozy old prick shouldn't have been anywhere near a car in the first place.

sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #25812 on: Tuesday, May 16, 2017, 08:45:44 »

I saw an old, old man buying a bottle of vodka, lemonade and fags this morning - probably the same guy
Barry Scott

« Reply #25813 on: Tuesday, May 16, 2017, 08:49:36 »

now I'm getting a stream of 'you were injured in an accident, CLAIM NOW!' texts and phonecalls. The dozy old prick shouldn't have been anywhere near a car in the first place.

This makes my blood boil. The insurance industry are constantly harping on about how our premiums are going up due to these bottom feeding accident companies, yet they must sell them our info.

I had a minor prang and I was phoned incessantly for about 6 months, with the vague opening line of, "... it's about your recent accident..." which in many cases you'd speak to as there's so many unknown parties all after their pound of flesh.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #25814 on: Tuesday, May 16, 2017, 08:52:34 »

A good place to start, if the pub is not too busy is talking to the bar staff.

In a decent boozer, they'll see it as part of the job, epecially recommended if they're Eastern European birds, although the golden era for this in the mid to late 00's seems to have passed.

This exchange may well lead to a discussion of philosophy or history with the locals.

Is this the beginning of my getting a class in chatting up east European bar staff from the old master?  Wink
Pages: 1 ... 1718 1719 1720 [1721] 1722 1723 1724 ... 2656   Go Up
Print
Jump to: