Pages: 1 ... 1681 1682 1683 [1684] 1685 1686 1687 ... 2656   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Trivial things you don't understand/mildly annoy you  (Read 5048928 times)
Whits
Morphined Up

« Reply #25245 on: Thursday, January 12, 2017, 13:43:53 »

Unfortunately, all road "improvements" ever do is shift the bottle neck somewhere else. 
i would say the bypass at newbury a34 has been fairly successful in removing a bottleneck, it was pretty much the only place from southampton to oxford where you had to go through the centre of a town

Plays in midfield and his name is Tommy Miller,
signed him from Huddersfield his name is Tommy Miller,
first touch is average but his second is a killer,
heeeeeey Tommy Miller!
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #25246 on: Thursday, January 12, 2017, 14:05:30 »

Last month my car's clutch slave cylinder started leaking. Problem was fixed but the garage advised the clutch pedal operation was slightly weird and making a clicking noise which probably pointed to master cylinder.

So I booked it in earlier this week to get the master cylinder fitted. Garage spends some time greasing the piston instead, gives the car back and says see if it helps for a week. Well it's getting worse so popped in their at lunch and first words were"we'll order a master cylinder then"

I appreciate the garage trying to save me money but when I booked on the phone originally I told them to just order the part and change it as I'd rather pay to sort it out asap.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #25247 on: Thursday, January 12, 2017, 14:23:43 »

i would say the bypass at newbury a34 has been fairly successful in removing a bottleneck, it was pretty much the only place from southampton to oxford where you had to go through the centre of a town

As I said before such schemes can have local benefits, but I've been held up plenty of times on the M4/A34 junction at the wrong time of day.
Sir Cliff Pipehard

Ignore
« Reply #25248 on: Thursday, January 12, 2017, 16:09:14 »

Tories giving the go ahead for a tunnel under Stonehenge with associated dualing of the 303.  On the surface, (see what I did there) might seem benign enough, but this is a delicate sacred landscape...now to be ruined  Angry

Deliberately too i reckon.
This is a crude attempt at destroying the lines that link us to our metaphysical past.
I've always been amazed by the fact that a busy A road runs right through the centre of Avebury stone circle too.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #25249 on: Thursday, January 12, 2017, 16:22:56 »

Deliberately too i reckon.
This is a crude attempt at destroying the lines that link us to our metaphysical past.
I've always been amazed by the fact that a busy A road runs right through the centre of Avebury stone circle too.

More boringly, fat contracts for crony construction companies....Tories have previous going back to Ernest Marples, Minister of Trabnsport at the time of Beeching, and major shareholder in Marples Ridgeway, who mysteriously got lots of fat contracts for motorway construction, despite Ernie claiming no conflict of interest, in shutting down railways and building roads.

Ernie eventually had to do a runner to Monaco, to avoid paying tax due on his dealings.
Sir Cliff Pipehard

Ignore
« Reply #25250 on: Thursday, January 12, 2017, 16:48:52 »

More boringly, fat contracts for crony construction companies....Tories have previous going back to Ernest Marples, Minister of Trabnsport at the time of Beeching, and major shareholder in Marples Ridgeway, who mysteriously got lots of fat contracts for motorway construction, despite Ernie claiming no conflict of interest, in shutting down railways and building roads.

Ernie eventually had to do a runner to Monaco, to avoid paying tax due on his dealings.

Sounds like a true Tory to me ;-)

Shame,as i'd have loved the chance to ride on this line:

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #25251 on: Thursday, January 12, 2017, 17:25:15 »

I can see why the extension of the M and SWJ to Cheltenham went as there's another line to Gloucester, but The Loop and the southern section down to Andover should have been kept. Swindon's expansion was never considered in the decision. I went on it as a kid, but that's now a very distant memory..... Smiley
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #25252 on: Thursday, January 12, 2017, 17:41:50 »

As I said before such schemes can have local benefits, but I've been held up plenty of times on the M4/A34 junction at the wrong time of day.

Surely that's because it's a sub-standard junction, rather than due to the bypass of Newbury 20+ years ago by the A34?  In any other western European country, the junction between two roads of that magnitude would be free-flow...with no queuing/giving way at roundabouts.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #25253 on: Thursday, January 12, 2017, 17:51:18 »

Surely that's because it's a sub-standard junction, rather than due to the bypass of Newbury 20+ years ago by the A34?  In any other western European country, the junction between two roads of that magnitude would be free-flow...with no queuing/giving way at roundabouts.

Pesky Europeans doing things better than us....exactly why we've gone for the Tory Brexit....take back control to bugger stuff up ourselves.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #25254 on: Thursday, January 12, 2017, 17:58:13 »

Pesky Europeans doing things better than us....exactly why we've gone for the Tory Brexit....take back control to bugger stuff up ourselves.

Sorry I have been out, got some catching up to do...

Pint Pint Pint Pint
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #25255 on: Thursday, January 12, 2017, 18:00:17 »

Quite.
Barry Scott

« Reply #25256 on: Thursday, January 12, 2017, 21:49:22 »

Wow I don't think I have ever installed a 1366 socket, they are huge aren't they?

I'm not familiar with any modern CPUs, but it's about the size of an old Socket A, so seems fairly normal to me?

I fall back on temporary long thin bolts with meccano style straight braces(wrapped in insulation tape to stop any possible shorting) in a cross shape if all else fails, even if its a temp solution it gets it up and running as long as its finger tight and doesnt bend the struts/motherboard etc to stop connection with the chip backplate/motherboard.

I actually did have one of those I will have a look at the weekend, its a black cross shape plastic arrangement it came as a spare on one of my old coolermaster coolers, I will see what I can find mate.

That's very kind of you, thanks, but don't worry about it as I have nuts and bolts to bolt the cooler from underneath [that'll delight any future owner], should the part from Austria not do the business.
Flashheart

« Reply #25257 on: Friday, January 13, 2017, 07:39:38 »

I think dreams are usually cool, but sometimes...

I dreamt last night that a mate got married but me and him had a massive row, on his wedding day, because I was being an utter cock for some reason.

I now feel guilty. I know it was a dream but I awoke with a guilty feeling and I can't shake it. How fucking stupid.
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #25258 on: Friday, January 13, 2017, 07:59:56 »

My missus talks to me in her sleep.

Once I got angrily woken up by her because i'd gone shopping with one of her friends in her dream.

Recently I made a comment that I often wake up at 4.00-4.30 and can never get back to sleep, so a couple of nights ago, around 1am, she nudges me and says "How are you getting on?"
I'm all confused as to having been woken up and reply with "Eh?"
She says "How are you getting on with sleeping tonight?"
"I was fine until you fucking woke me up to ask me how I was sleeping"

She doesn't remember any of it happening.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #25259 on: Friday, January 13, 2017, 08:35:10 »

My missus talks to me in her sleep.

Once I got angrily woken up by her because i'd gone shopping with one of her friends in her dream.

Mine does that too, but it's usually her snoring which wakes me up before I notice the talking. I can have conversations with her when she's asleep and she responds to what I answer back which can e amusing and advantageous.
I've bought some ear plugs now.

I thought all women get the hump when they dream you do something wrong?
Pages: 1 ... 1681 1682 1683 [1684] 1685 1686 1687 ... 2656   Go Up
Print
Jump to: