Pages: 1 ... 1486 1487 1488 [1489] 1490 1491 1492 ... 2656   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Trivial things you don't understand/mildly annoy you  (Read 5106940 times)
Flashheart

« Reply #22320 on: Saturday, February 6, 2016, 19:46:49 »

I bet you experience it a lot in your job though, I do in the debate groups that I take part in.
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #22321 on: Saturday, February 6, 2016, 19:55:21 »

I bet you experience it a lot in your job though, I do in the debate groups that I take part in.

I think a lot of people do, they just don't necessarily know the name for it Smiley I can certainly imagine it cropping up in those debates. It's a form of self preservation, basically. Accepting one's own ignorance has unpleasant consequences in both a criminal and a theological context. I think to admit you might not know what the fuck you're talking about corrupts the very foundation of most religious belief and/or practices..

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
Flashheart

« Reply #22322 on: Saturday, February 6, 2016, 20:01:54 »

It works both ways as well though. Not only would an idiot not recognise that they're and idiot, but a genius may not recognise that they're a genius.
Talk Talk

« Reply #22323 on: Saturday, February 6, 2016, 20:09:32 »

FH = intellectual stalker

I thought I was bad enough  Suicide
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #22324 on: Saturday, February 6, 2016, 20:11:55 »

It works both ways as well though. Not only would an idiot not recognise that they're and idiot, but a genius may not recognise that they're a genius.

True. Human beings are essentially shit at assessing our own ability in anything. I would say that DK is far more common in general, though, as it has far more psychological benefits than suppression of ability.

Talk Talk

« Reply #22325 on: Saturday, February 6, 2016, 20:12:37 »

True. Human beings are essentially shit at assessing our own ability in anything. I would say that DK is far more common in general, though, as it has far more psychological benefits than suppression of ability.

Stop encouraging him. He will be buying a Lotus next
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #22326 on: Saturday, February 6, 2016, 20:19:41 »

Dunning–Kruger effect is also commonly known as being a bit of a cock.

Joking side, I definitely had someone in my team at who suffered from that...
Flashheart

« Reply #22327 on: Saturday, February 6, 2016, 20:24:04 »

DK is inclusive of the intelligent not recognising their intellectual ability. They (the intelligent) can admonish others for not understanding a 'simple' task because to them it is simple and they are unable to realise it's actually quite difficult.
Flashheart

« Reply #22328 on: Saturday, February 6, 2016, 20:29:17 »

And on that note, I'll leave you cretins because I'm off to bed.  Wink
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #22329 on: Saturday, February 6, 2016, 20:32:33 »

DK is inclusive of the intelligent not recognising their intellectual ability. They (the intelligent) can admonish others for not understanding a 'simple' task because to them it is simple and they are unable to realise it's actually quite difficult.

Well, that's the paradox isn't it? Not recognising our own superiority because it in itself would make us inferior. Very different to something like the worse-than-average effect, or general self-handicapping.

Flashheart

« Reply #22330 on: Saturday, February 6, 2016, 20:39:23 »

Not really. Being unable to recognise on'es own superiority would be a flaw, but that would not necessarily make one inferior.
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #22331 on: Saturday, February 6, 2016, 20:44:04 »

Not really. Being unable to recognise on'es own superiority would be a flaw, but that would not necessarily make one inferior.

It would psycho-socially in the situation you just described.
Go to bed Wink

Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #22332 on: Saturday, February 6, 2016, 21:59:58 »

I'm sad as fuck and I find reading Ofcom reports quite amusing (never ceases to amaze me what people complain about.) I've also often wondered if people ever complain when you can quite clearly hear someone yell "GET OFF YA FAT CAAAANT" in front of the commentator on a Sunday afternoon. Apparently one person complained about the language during the league cup coverage on Sky in December. Akin to the number of people who also complained about the language in Jurassic Park. And Storage Hunters UK. The Great Barrier Reef with Attenborough was apparently worth complaining about for reasons of "other", which hopefully wasn't as offensive as the disability discrimination offence alleged in Bargain Hunt, notorious for minstrel dancers and spastic jokes IIRC.

Sad I know but even as a notorious washy-washy lefty liberal yoghurt knitter (etc etc) I'm genuinely fascinated these people exist.

Jamiesfuturewife
Cats is nature

Ignore
« Reply #22333 on: Saturday, February 6, 2016, 22:03:54 »

Seriously who has time to even file a complaint like that?! Id love to have the time to be that ridiculously petty!
Talk Talk

« Reply #22334 on: Saturday, February 6, 2016, 22:25:53 »

Sad I know but even as a notorious washy-washy lefty liberal yoghurt knitter (etc etc)

We're done Ells. It was fun while it lasted.

<hears a deep sigh of relief>
Pages: 1 ... 1486 1487 1488 [1489] 1490 1491 1492 ... 2656   Go Up
Print
Jump to: