Pages: 1 ... 1366 1367 1368 [1369] 1370 1371 1372 ... 2656   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Trivial things you don't understand/mildly annoy you  (Read 5088961 times)
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #20520 on: Saturday, August 29, 2015, 22:30:38 »

I dunno, all the Reece's stuff is pretty good, but they can stick their Hersheys and Marshmallow Fluff up their Jacksies!!

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #20521 on: Saturday, August 29, 2015, 22:57:23 »

I dunno, all the Reece's stuff is pretty good, but they can stick their Hersheys and Marshmallow Fluff up their Jacksies!!

Twinkies, the shittest food item ever invented.
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #20522 on: Sunday, August 30, 2015, 05:23:39 »

They do some crazy 'candy' flavours though. Who remembers Watermelon jolly ranchers. Fucking rank.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Skinny Pete

« Reply #20523 on: Sunday, August 30, 2015, 11:41:39 »

That Italian high jumper, Tamberi. Fucking prick with a beard one side of his face, clean shaven on the other.

Dear me
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #20524 on: Sunday, August 30, 2015, 17:41:54 »

People having a problem with other people having an opinion.

If that's her view fair enough.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-34102400

Jamiesfuturewife
Cats is nature

Ignore
« Reply #20525 on: Sunday, August 30, 2015, 18:25:44 »

I adore Valentio Rossi but "the Doctor" logo he had looks like someone whipped it up on clip art in 1998? 
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #20526 on: Sunday, August 30, 2015, 20:37:57 »

I've always thought Chrissie Hynde was quite sassy, but I'm surprised that she blames sexual assault on the victim rather than the assailant. Bit of an own-goal for the gals that.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #20527 on: Sunday, August 30, 2015, 20:45:03 »

Unfortunately it's a very damaging view, one which (as several of the charities criticising her have said) actively reinforces the "well, I won't go to the police, it was my fault" mindset which is prevalent in the mind of victims. That is no trivial thing.

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #20528 on: Sunday, August 30, 2015, 20:59:10 »

OK then - genuine question - what is actually wrong with this statement?

"If I'm walking around and I'm very modestly dressed and I'm keeping to myself and someone attacks me, then I'd say that's his fault. But if I'm being very lairy and putting it about and being provocative, then you are enticing someone who's already unhinged - don't do that. Come on! That's just common sense."

She's just saying that people need to take a bit of personal responsibility.  You don't seem to be a big fan of personal responsibility though Red Frog so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #20529 on: Sunday, August 30, 2015, 21:10:11 »

You don't seem to be a big fan of personal responsibility though Red Frog so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Like to explain this bit?

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #20530 on: Sunday, August 30, 2015, 21:24:31 »

Rape is the fault of the perpetrator. Always. 100%.

It doesn't matter what she's wearing or doing. It is not HER FAULT. And society has drummed into women it's their fault for too long. If you are raped, you are the victim of a crime, and you should report it to the police. But many don't due to this victim blaming crap.

It always amazes me that men make that statement anyway, it makes them look bad too - I mean it's basically suggesting that unless you're wearing a nun outfit they simply can't resist abusing you without your consent. I'd give most men more credit than that!

OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #20531 on: Sunday, August 30, 2015, 21:50:52 »

I think she (Chrissie Hynde) put it a bit too strongly when she said when describing the incident with the bikers that it was 'her fault'. I think the point she was really making was in the paragraph I quoted.

If say, a woman gets dressed up to the nines for a night out, short skirt, high heels, full monty gets a bit drunk and (lets use the Chrissie Hynde example) goes into a pub full of bikers and starts flirting with them and draping herself all over them.

It's a bit of an extreme and unlikely example but let's stay with it...

Q.Does she deserve to get raped? A.No - of course not.
Q.If she does get raped who is to blame? A.The perpetrator - obviously. No argument.
Q.Could her actions be described as inprudent? A.Yes of course they could. No one could possibly say this was a sensible thing to do.

I think Chrissie Hynde is saying that women should use some common sense and avoid certain situations. There are some pretty 'unhinged' individuals around as she says. Should a young woman be able to walk home late at night? Yes of course. Would be a good idea to do this? Well no. Not really. I personally think that is what she is getting at. I therefore don't find her comments to be particularly controversial.

Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #20532 on: Sunday, August 30, 2015, 22:00:21 »

Quote from: OOH!  SHAUN TAYLOR on Today at 21:59:10

You don't seem to be a big fan of personal responsibility though Red Frog so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #20533 on: Sunday, August 30, 2015, 22:02:50 »

I'm thinking particularly of the Nial Ranger debate we had a while back after his latest act of numbskullery (I can't even remember what it was - Ah, I remember now, I think it was when he did that radio interview - "Raar"). You seemed to be of the opinion that he was the innocent victim of a horrendous set of circumstances and none of the ridiculous shit he had gotten himself into was any of his fault. Maybe I'm wrong but that's how I read it, suffice to say I was not surprised by your reply to the above post. You just always seem to take that point of view although this is the only specific example I can think of right now so I could be wrong.
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #20534 on: Sunday, August 30, 2015, 22:07:21 »

I think she (Chrissie Hynde) put it a bit too strongly when she said when describing the incident with the bikers that it was 'her fault'. I think the point she was really making was in the paragraph I quoted.

If say, a woman gets dressed up to the nines for a night out, short skirt, high heels, full monty gets a bit drunk and (lets use the Chrissie Hynde example) goes into a pub full of bikers and starts flirting with them and draping herself all over them.

It's a bit of an extreme and unlikely example but let's stay with it...

Q.Does she deserve to get raped? A.No - of course not.
Q.If she does get raped who is to blame? A.The perpetrator - obviously. No argument.
Q.Could her actions be described as inprudent? A.Yes of course they could. No one could possibly say this was a sensible thing to do.

I think Chrissie Hynde is saying that women should use some common sense and avoid certain situations. There are some pretty 'unhinged' individuals around as she says. Should a young woman be able to walk home late at night? Yes of course. Would be a good idea to do this? Well no. Not really. I personally think that is what she is getting at. I therefore don't find her comments to be particularly controversial.

Getting drunk, wearing short clothes? Are you seriously suggesting people should avoid doing this?

This isn't leaving your car unlocked or your front door open. This is something that everyone should be reasonably expected to do without assault.

It's incredibly depressing people still discuss this.

Pages: 1 ... 1366 1367 1368 [1369] 1370 1371 1372 ... 2656   Go Up
Print
Jump to: